Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Dealers not making enough from the service plans?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Dealers not making enough from the service plans?

Just attempted to book my car in for it’s first service… (not at the local dealer because they are so bad). Anyway, it’s the first time I’ve had the pleasure of using the Land Rover 5 Year Service Plan, which was included with the purchase of the new car.

Strangely, the dealer is now trying to persuade me to have several additional ‘paid for’ items included in the service, i.e.. a flush of the fuel system to remove all the sludge (£40) and a clean of the heating system to remove all the bugs and dirt (£19.50).

Apparently Land Rover recommend these items are done annually. If that was true… why aren’t they part of the annual service? (to which the dealer had no reply)!!!

What's odd is that in the 10 years disco ownership, it's never been suggested that I get these things done on any other service that I was paying for?

Obviously I’m not having these unnecessary additional items done simply so the dealer can fleece customers for some more money… but the whole attitude leaves a bad taste and only encourages me to leave the brand even quicker than I was previously planning.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

P.S. Just remembered from working on a LR film... we're not supposed to call them dealers any more... they are now "Retailers" - seriously !!! Laughing
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #176777723rd Jan 2017 5:42 pm
firthy77

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Be interesting to see when my wife Evoque goes in for its first service if they try the same thing, thank for the heads up Thumbs Up

Post #176778323rd Jan 2017 5:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Same old bolldocks that Ratstones used to try and flog me many years ago, needless to say didn't buy any of it. Strangely enough Guava never did, either coz they are a great dealer and/or they'd seen enough of my car!! Snigger

Post #176778723rd Jan 2017 5:51 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Taking advantage of the usual persons paranoia when owning a Landrover?, though seized engines are showing preventative measures are no guarantee to a worry free life with Landrover Thumbs Up
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #176778923rd Jan 2017 5:53 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Don't forget to tell them that you won't pay for any chargable items, unless approved by you in advance.

At the first service I was told rear brake pads needed replacing, on questioning they agreed that they might last another 5k miles, but wouldn't last "until the next service - hence the recommendation.

The same story at the next service 12 months & c. 24k miles .. in the end I replaced them a c. 30 k miles, even then they had a few more K miles, but changed them as I was going on a long trip.

I also always refuse to buy their windscreen washer fluid at an excessive price!

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #176779123rd Jan 2017 5:55 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

There wont be any sludge at all in the fuel system unless you have been filling up from dodgy cans of cheap derv?
I often look in truck diesel tanks that have covered a million kms and guess what? theres no sludge or dirt anywhere (after all thats what the fuel filter is for) maybe the odd water droplet and thats from a set up used by hundreds of people that the vast majority could not give a toss about.

The a/c clean is just an aerosol you can buy from ebay/halfords etc for under a tenner

Post #176779323rd Jan 2017 5:56 pm
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

Quote:
the dealer is now trying to persuade me to have several additional ‘paid for’ items included in the service, i.e.. a flush of the fuel system to remove all the sludge (£40) and a clean of the heating system to remove all the bugs and dirt (£19.50).

Think most dealers have been offering/doing flushes and Air con clean for years now
 Send a paypal payment direct using this link https://paypal.me/duckworthparts

Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: [email protected]
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Can also supply OEM & Aftermarket parts

Post #176779723rd Jan 2017 6:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ratrunner

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

This type of extra sell is aimed at those that know jack Censored about cars and there are a lot of them out there.My other car a vauxhall went in for its annual inspection for the warranty, my wife took it in I was busy. She comes back, oh my god you need so many things doing to your car.They presented her with a list to the tune of £780.00 I looked at it and laughed out loud.I had already changed water / air con top up / brake fluid / all in the service book which they could not have even looked at. Oh and that was a year ago.It passed it's MOT recently not at the main steerler mind you.Baa Censored

Post #176782623rd Jan 2017 6:45 pm
Pelyma

England 

DSL wrote:
Same old bolldocks that Ratstones used to try and flog me many years ago, needless to say didn't buy any of it. Strangely enough Guava never did, either coz they are a great dealer and/or they'd seen enough of my car!! Snigger

I heard that they tried to lock the door to stop you coming in. Ner Ner They didn't try flogging me any extras on my car's first service.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #176783223rd Jan 2017 6:49 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

What percentage does the garage lose out under these schemes?

I assume they are compensated by Land Rover but I'm guessing it's not the usual amount they fleece out of 'paying' customers Whistle Which is why they try and give it a boost!!
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #176783423rd Jan 2017 6:55 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Pelyma wrote:
DSL wrote:

I heard that they tried to lock the door to stop you coming in. Ner Ner They didn't try flogging me any extras on my car's first service.

Hope they find the keys, in there at 8:30am tomorrow to pick up a new key and get the gas struts changed. Whistle Whistle

Not enough to keep them in the manner they've become accustomed to but with the D4 (with warranty) they're not going to go hungry. Thumbs Up

Post #176783523rd Jan 2017 6:55 pm
Buckster

England 

DSL wrote:

Never had any of that old flannel from Guava, just straight honest superb service Thumbs Up
 2003 BMW M5- 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 RRS SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expo Rack, 4x Warn Spotlights, Warn 9.5 XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection, Full Easylift Suspension, LightForce HTX 230 Spot Lights, LR Light Guards, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, Brembos Calipers, ARB Fridge, Tuff trek awning.
Visiting from the RR Sport forum: 

Post #176795923rd Jan 2017 9:59 pm
al cope

England 

I had none of that "upsell" when mine had its 1st service under the service plan at Colliers in Brum.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #176807124th Jan 2017 9:03 am
J77

Scotland 

None of that from my dealer either at first service.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #176991127th Jan 2017 3:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >