Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > For Sale & Wanted [Archive]

Fire Extinguishers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Fire Extinguishers

Right, after driving home last night down a dark lane checking out my new xenons ! I came across a car on fire, just started and could have put it out - IF I had a fire extinguisher on me. However as my little one was a PITA to mount I'm looking for advice:

A) Leave everything to burn
B) Where do others put a fire extinguisher
C) Anyone know where to get the Land Rover one with bracket that fits in front of the passenger seat and how much ?

Ta in advance.
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #22285510th Nov 2007 10:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed

England 

If you have a dog guard it's a good place to put the extinguisher. Another place is on the frame on the back of the driver/passenger seat.
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #22285910th Nov 2007 11:01 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
.....years ago

back int' last century...
my company car had to have a an extinguisher in....company regulation
the postion was always was in front of the drivers seat.....for the purpse you could get to it immediately you got out or into the car.
The only down side to the floor postion it must be done with seat in forward postion...

In a period of three years it was used four times.....always on other vehicles.
One was at an accident scene where the driver & passenger were trapped.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #22286110th Nov 2007 11:06 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Mine is in one of the side cubby boxes in the back, bit difficult to reach from the drivers seat though. I left one in the back of our old Alfa and didn't secure it, one day I was driving along and I could hear hissing. Opened the boot to find it covered in poweder. Now I know why you get a nice bracket Embarassed

Post #22286510th Nov 2007 11:23 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

I have two, but they're not very big. One in each of the front door pockets.

I think I got mine from screwfix.

Post #22287010th Nov 2007 11:56 am
Lewis

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Hi,

Like this one
Click image to enlarge

Also got another one in the back cubby box. You might have to try your local dealer.

Lewis

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 2009 G4 Challenge D3 TDV6 HSE
2005 TDV6
Yeowart Agricultural Ltd 

Post #22287310th Nov 2007 12:23 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 
Fire Extinguishers

As a serving fire fighter who has put out many car fires, I would think twice. There are a number of reasons for this. Many modern cars are now fitted with and powered by LPG and other nasty things, they have a habit of going bang or flaring up when safety valves lift with little or no warning. If you do not have the right protective gear then you are toast. Secondly you will not put out most moderm car fires with a small extinguisher like in the pictures unless you are lucky enough to be there when it catches lite. The fumes and products that are given off from a car fire are very dangerous if inhalled. If you use the wrong fire extinguisher you could infact cause the fire to flare up and get worse eg a water fire extingusher on un-leaded fuel can have this effect.

Having said this if you have one in your car and it catches fire you may well be able to put it out as it has just ignited and the fumes would not be that bad, plus you know what is fueling your car.
One last point, most if not all cars are written off after even very minor fire, as such your time will proabbly have been in-vaine.
Hope this helps you with your decision. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #22289710th Nov 2007 4:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

thats the baby. As an interim, managed to find a firemaster long and thin one that just fits (with a bit of a push) into the drivers door pocket. If I'm on fire I will be able to get it out no problem. If I have an accident it is "unlikely" to move.

Will pop into the dealers on Monday.

Good point, however could have put the focus out last night as it was smoking from the loom when i arrived. Was an x-car when I left.

I'm fairly good with the old fire safety - worked for Draeger for 7 years . . . . Thumbs Up
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #22289810th Nov 2007 4:42 pm
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

Mine is fitted under the passenger seat Whistle
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #22292310th Nov 2007 6:46 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Being a complete devil's advocate here Evil or Very Mad The natural reaction is to help put it out ...but would you use your only extinguisher on someone else's motor if there was no life in danger? Rolling Eyes ...You might need it for yourself on the continued journey. Also would the stranger give you the £20 it's just cost you to put it out do ya think?? Whistle

[Light touch paper and walk away] mode 'on' Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #22292510th Nov 2007 6:55 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Absolutely bang on DG. I helped someone just outside legoland when their car went on fire. No even a bloody thank you, and as you say I drove all the way home without my own means of self help if I needed it.

LET THEM BURN I SAY!!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Post #22293110th Nov 2007 7:27 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I used mine on a friends Defender, on a green lane. It failed to put it out, as it was an electrical fire, and the car went into self destruct very quickly!

Post #22293410th Nov 2007 7:31 pm
Ajolious

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Think twice

A further point of note is that modern cars contain a considerable amount of Man Made Mineral Fibres (MMMF) and these can cause serious distress if you stand inside the smoke plume to try and extinguish a fire. They behave in a similar way to asbestos fibres which is why it is Standard Operating Procedure to wear BA when dealing with car fires. Nothing you are liable to have in your car will have any real effect so the best thing to do is assist anyone nearby to a place of safety, ensure there is no hazard to traffice (warn or redirect as necessary) and then get the professionals on the job.
 AJ
Work to live don't live to work
07MY TDV6 SE Auto plus a few toys
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert
17' of red Coleman plastic.. paddles not essential 

Post #22343512th Nov 2007 4:19 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 
Fire extinguisher

As said previously, I am a fire fighter who has put many cars out. I did carry a fire extinguisher in one of my cars and happened upon a brand new Hoda CRV that had literaly just caught fire, due to a workshop manual left under the bonnet by Hoda dealer fitting tow bar. I managed to put out the fire with miniml damage to plastic engine cowling. The greatful owner not only replced fire extinguisher, but gave me a very nice bottle of wine, some sweets for the kids and a very generous donation to the fire service benevolent fund. Not all people are tight. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #22352812th Nov 2007 8:05 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

When installing on dog guard; fit the extinguisher behind the guard. They make fantastic ballistic projectiles in a crash. Shocked
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #22360412th Nov 2007 10:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >