Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Intermittent Suspension fault / amber light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
marscolony

United Kingdom 
Intermittent Suspension fault / amber light

I have a new to me D3, which I've had for under a week. Drove it to Birmingham and back yesterday (about a 200 mile round trip). On starting it to leave for home, I got a dreaded chime and 'suspension fault' on the message screen and the amber suspension light Shocked

I switched it off, left it a min and checked the suspension height looked normal from outside (it did). Then turned it back on and no error, so drove it home. Stopped on the way and switched off. On restarting, no error, no light, drove home with no problems.

No problems again this morning when I left for work. I dropped it into access mode when I got out when I left it this morning, so curious to see what it will say when I get back after work!

Should I be concerned? It all worked ok when I checked it on buying - I put it up, down, into crawl mode etc.. and it didn't give any issues then.

I have the car booked in for a general check up at my local independant, but not for a few weeks (first appointment they could give me). Are there any checks/tests etc I can do before then to troubleshoot or fix? I don't have a tool to read fault codes (yet, suspect it might be a sensible investment though).

I am hoping to drive to Le Mans in it in just under a month, so would really like a healthy car for that!

Post #181635418th May 2017 1:50 pm
SpaceElf

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

We've had this a lot on our MY07 D3. Bong, amber light on, special programs off. Turn engine off, on again and it's as good as gold.

Broadly speaking, we've found that most of the time it's a sensor issue. You'll know if it's something serious because it will contine to bong and give you the warning message when you try the turn off and turn on approach and won't go away. If that message and light appears all the time I'd take it to a garage - or look at fixing it yourself if you're mechanically minded. Ignore it when it's constantly happpening and you might find the light changing from amber to red, suspension lowering and a max speed of 30mph while you trampoline along the road slowing up everyone behind you. From experience, that is NOT fun.

Hope that helps, and yes, being able to read (and reset) the error messages is quite handy. Doesn't always help though. Had a new air compressor a month ago and I still get the intermittent fault. It went straight back to the local indie who fitted the compressor. He checked the suspension, the fault messages and found no obvious fault leading us to conclude it's the sensor playing up again...
 2014 XXV
2007 D3 HSE moneypit (gone)
2004 Freelander 1 (gone)
2004 Toyota Celica (for fun!)
2004 RR Vogue (petrol and thank goodness that's gone)
1961 Series IIA
2016 other half's RR Sport Autobiography (gone) 

Post #181838323rd May 2017 6:46 pm
miniman8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Amber suspension light intermittent fault

Hi, I have the same fault with my 2006 D3 HSE started happening after we drove away from garage where we got it in April, initially thought it may have been when new rear suspension arm was fitted for MOT but it carried on happening, the warranty I have does not cover air suspension so garage have agreed to pay for repair, took it to a local lndependant LR garage who advised it was showing fault codes for rear nearside height sensor, they also advised it may have an air leak I don't think it willbe that as garage had a new one fitted just before we got it. Just need to get it booked in to get new sensor fitted & should then be ok.
if you are a reasonable mechanic seems easy enought to fit once you have the wheel off, Youtube has acouple of videos that show how to do it, if you do decide to have a go also check wiring that connects to sensor as it seems its prone to getting damaged if the retaing clip breaks. Good luck

Post #182009129th May 2017 9:17 am
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I find the D3 is fussy to any unplanned motion, ie hitting a pot hole, this has caused the dreaded suspension fault and special programs off message.
I quick on / off fixes it.

If it keeps occurring I would be guessing low air pressure in the airbag system.

Post #182018229th May 2017 1:17 pm
marscolony

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies, and sorry I haven't been back to update, it's been a hectic week or so.

I spoke to the garage I bought it from and they've agreed to pay for it to get diagnosed (and hopefully sorted) at our local independant. This was good news as it somewhat spoiled my first week of ownership!

it's booked to go in for a full diagnosis and fix in a week, but I dropped it into them last week to read the fault code, and they found: pressure does not decrease when venting gallery.

They said this was likely either a dodgy connector, maybe a sensor or at worst a new compressor to fix, but that in the meantime it's ok to drive as long as it doesn't get worse. Hopefully it's just a connection. I had a look at the compressor and it looks pretty new already, along with some of the connecting wiring/pipework, so I'm hoping it's just something simple.

Normally restarting the car clears the light, which is good.

In the hot weather over the weekend I had to do a bit of a drive and it came on much more - restarting didn't always remove it, and at one point I hit a bump and the red light came on momentarily, then cleared. When it cooled down it's gone back to being highly intermittent. I wondered if the hot weather would lead to a pressure increase in the system, which would make the problem worse?

I also discovered the air con doesn't work at all. Not sure if it needs just a recharge or if there is a leak. I will let the indy look at that too!

Post #182060330th May 2017 1:02 pm
miniman8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
ride height sensor

Hi everyone,
had a new ride height sensor fiited last week at my local indy & it seems to have cured fault issue. Garage eventually agreed to pay half so it cost me £63 all in, garage agreed to waive dignostic charge as they said they would like to see me back, garage is Mid Engineering just outside Wantage so will be using them again as required. Sure you would not get this kind of service from a main dealer!

Tom

Post #183070026th Jun 2017 3:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >