Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

D3: Manual v Auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mazza

D3: Manual v Auto

Hi all,

Am looking to purchase a Disco 3, mainly for long family trips, so won't be used as a daily, hence my thought about whether to go for a manual rather than auto.

My question isn't about preference, but more about reliability comparisons as have read a few stories about auto gearbox failures which are quite costly to repair/replace.

Appreciate feedback/comments from those who have experience of both!

Many thanks

Post #182644314th Jun 2017 6:33 am
Simonstarski

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If I was replacing my manual car I'd have an auto.
I don't want to do down my manual, it works fine and Ive had no issues at all, but, the car struggles with low down grunt. It always has and even after a tuning remap it's still gutless low down and needs to be kept in a working rev range. Nothing worse than constantly bogging on a country land hill because you've dropped off the turbo.
At least with the auto it's always in the right gear when you need it.

Just my opinion of course, I still love my manual and it's only a slight niggle. Thumbs Up
 Narpy Grill, tinted windows, Smooth leather wheel (TLO Group buy), ACM fitted (thanks TLO), Rear door loom and Row 2 & 3 audio switch upgrade, RRS 20" wheel change, 285 Cooper LTZ's Sat Nav Mod (until I get a Faultmate upgrade), Front & Rear lamp guards. 4x4 screen now switched on - Woody32, Follow me home reverse lights - woody32, Auto release EPB - Woody32. Off Road Navigation - Woody32. Remap + EGR's switched off. Full chassis clean and Waxoyl.  
Post #182644514th Jun 2017 6:54 am
daftlad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

both can have issues
after many years in manual Discoveries I opted for the auto as I have an ankle injury and long range towing used to give me some grief with all the clutch work, should have had one years ago
the wife was really worried about driving an auto as she never had before the D3
she also stated should have done this years ago
the ride is more refined and the power is there when you need it , just better Very Happy

Post #182644814th Jun 2017 7:13 am
geoffsnook

Wales 

the manual is more reliable than he auto it suffers with clutch wear whereas the auto suffers with a few bits but for towing i now prefer the auto as it is so much easier i have had both being a manual disco 3 and now have a range rover sport Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #182645514th Jun 2017 7:27 am
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I would say don't base your decision solely on reliability. Yes, autos are expensive to repair/replace when they go wrong but the manual is far from perfect as well. Manual clutches, even the supposedly heavy duty later version, are at best fragile and don't last very long, then you have dual mass flywheels to worry about. There are also one or two examples emerging where the manual box itself has also gone fubar.

Very few D3s sold were manuals, so you would expect to read much less about issues with them compared to autos. That doesn't mean that the few that are out there are trouble free.

The other issue will be that you will seriously limit your available choice on the used market if you decide to go manual.

I had a manual D3 and I really enjoyed it. If I had my time again I would have gone auto.

Post #182645714th Jun 2017 7:31 am
Ja92mie

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have a manual and I love mine.

Post #182648114th Jun 2017 8:37 am
Iguana

Ukraine 

I love my manual, had it over 4 years and it's been fine, only real issue I have is as already mentioned low down grunt is missing, it has always struggled pulling away in 1st on a steep slope as it needs quite a bit of revs. I know use low ratio for such occasions and it works a treat.

Only other issue and this is not car related, but 'Left Knee related' Laughing I'm getting older and my knee really pains me in very heavy traffic jams, with the constant clutch in/clutch out - So I think my next LR will be an auto Thumbs Up

Have towed heavy trailers with it without any issues Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #182649414th Jun 2017 9:21 am
Disgoeshere

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I love my manual as well,disadvantage heavy built up traffic,but on motorways/towing cruise control no problem at all.

At the time of looking I was adamant that auto was for me but after much searching this one was the one I wanted cairns blue/beige interior it just happened to be a manual box I just could not walk away it just felt right.
I had the clutch go at 114K original clutch going by the mechanics who done it, new DMS as well we don't do that many miles a year so really no issues having the manual version so should serve us well.

35 years of driving manual gearboxes just second nature for me, in fairness both are good. It is a heavy lump for sure to drive about.

Good Luck with your search Thumbs Up
 Andy

07MY (8A) D3 2.7 TDV6 Manual SE

New oil pump, water pump, cam belt - DM
New prop, new clutch TVLR,Beanie Grille,Black & Silver Badges
All Filters, oil change,clock on dash,4x4 info,RLD Protector,silicone hoses
Front and Rear TRW low Dust dtec V8 brake upgrade,new oil sump 

Post #182653814th Jun 2017 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My first D3 was a manual and I thought 1st gear was too high, making starting on a hill or when towing difficult. The only satisfactory way without too much clutch slip was to use low range. I then had an Auto and have stayed with that since. Talking to LR Driving experience at Eastnor ,also thought the auto better for towing.

Post #182658914th Jun 2017 1:08 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I specifically bought a manual, but in hindsight, I think a car this heavy would be better as an auto. And yes, the clutch is weak. My car has had three (including the original one) in 100K miles.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #182659414th Jun 2017 1:20 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I do not agree at all, I live in an especially mountainous area, it is Asturias north of Spain, and I have the original clutch with 260,000 km. Although it is true that the car is heavy and the relations of change are somewhat long, but IMHO, I think that its reliability and duration depends a lot more on the way you drive
 lost in translation!  
Post #182662314th Jun 2017 2:43 pm
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: D3: Manual v Auto

mazza wrote:
Hi all,

Am looking to purchase a Disco 3, mainly for long family trips, so won't be used as a daily, hence my thought about whether to go for a manual rather than auto.

My question isn't about preference, but more about reliability comparisons as have read a few stories about auto gearbox failures which are quite costly to repair/replace.

Appreciate feedback/comments from those who have experience of both!

Many thanks

Get an Auto V8 Thumbs Up use the Cruise control on highway I get about 23-25 mpg.
I have driven mine 4 times from NYC to Los Angeles 3000 miles each way, thats about 9000 miles, plus all the other city driving, up to the Sierra Nevada's and off road in the desert with 116F heat without issues in one year. Just do the services on time.
Dave
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Last edited by SafariDave on 14th Jun 2017 2:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #182662614th Jun 2017 2:45 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I forget to say that I have not used to towing ever! and Maybe that can be a reason!!
 lost in translation!  
Post #182662714th Jun 2017 2:46 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

ruben wrote:
I do not agree at all, I live in an especially mountainous area, it is Asturias north of Spain, and I have the original clutch with 260,000 km. Although it is true that the car is heavy and the relations of change are somewhat long, but IMHO, I think that its reliability and duration depends a lot more on the way you drive

Yup Ruben - if your driving style slips the clutch don't be surprised when you need a new one Whistle

Post #182663414th Jun 2017 3:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kevin-t

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
auto or man......

I can't comment on the manual box, as i have an auto.
What i can say tho, almost 200,000 miles on the box now, had a couple of gearbox flushes whilst I've owned.
Put that down to towing the twin axle intent tho.
Great box Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
By the way, been driving almost 40 years. This was my first ever auto, should have converted soooooner.
Just point and go Thumbs Up

Kevin

Post #182663814th Jun 2017 3:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >