Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Manifold Cross-over Pipe Flexi Repair 2.7 Disco3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mac_manic

United Kingdom 
Manifold Cross-over Pipe Flexi Repair 2.7 Disco3

My manifold crossover pipe has fracture on one of the flexi ends.
Has anyone out there replaced the flexi part of the pipe as oppose to paying the £400 for a new part?
I have read somewhere that a flexi exhaust repair piece can be welded in rather than replacing the whole thing.....not sure where!
Any one know dimensions of parts, allowing me to purchase flexi parts before starting?

Also I see a lot of 2nd hand disco4 3.0 pipes for sale much cheaper than the disco3 2.7...can these be made to fit.

Post #18455909th Aug 2017 2:41 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have the same problem, as it happens I've bought the flexy repair sections and member wyn on here has manufactured a jig for me to replace the flexy sections. I've got a few threads about it going on. The pipe is a living hell to get off with the body on. I'm not far off a body removal for this purpose.
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #18456309th Aug 2017 4:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MikeBob

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

i have had one repaired sucessfully. A skilled friend welded it for me using a mig welder on very low setting.

removal from the vehicle is possible without body removal. drivers side pretty easy to get to the bolts. passenger side requires removal of the front propshaft

Post #18456359th Aug 2017 4:44 pm
Discomadness

And the down pipe, and the egr valve and coolers. My passenger side, the nuts were rounded off. Hence why I'm body offing. The metal of the pipe is quite thick so repair will be easy with the jig I've got. I'll post pics of it tomorrow. Iirc the repair sections are 45mm diameter by 75mm but I could only find 45 x 100 on eBay. I'm going to a local exhaust place to see if they have the right length ones. Also don't forget the pipe will need reinsulating afterward. I bought some exhaust wrap. I intend to do a full write up when I do the job but work getting in the way at the minute. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #18456519th Aug 2017 5:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mac_manic

United Kingdom 

Be really interested in seeing your pics and write up. Meantime I'll checkout wyn for a jig.
Thanks for the help.

Post #18456649th Aug 2017 6:33 pm
Discomadness

So far I've got 3 broken crossovers ready to repair so once I've cracked it I'll be making spare ones available for forum members. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #18456679th Aug 2017 6:35 pm
ThamesD3

Portugal 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I used 48mm ID x 100mm long flexipipe £16 each off ebay. They were okay but the crossover pipe varies in diameter. I had to grind a spigot for the flexi to slide over near the curved section and the other end was about 2mm too big on the straight section. The crossover pipe is surprisingly thick so the welding was straightforward with an overlapping joint. I think a smaller dia flexi with butt joints would be harder to weld.
I just tacked mine and test fitted it before welding as I have gearbox out anyway to do the clutch. Its best to use six sided sockets to free the manifold nuts. Five flange nuts face rearwards and one is fitted from the front(I improvised a tool to do this one).
Make sure that the centre bracket on top of the gearbox is fitted. Mine was missing which probably cause the original crossover pipe to fail.

Post #18457179th Aug 2017 8:08 pm
Discomadness

Here's the jig I've had made up by wyn, can I just say what a top guy and fantastic fabricator this man is !
As you can see the exhaust sections I've bought are with it but I may search for better ones.
 Jarrod

-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs

Post #184611210th Aug 2017 9:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >