Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Cheap Chains ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Cheap Chains ?

Driving off to la plagne for a fortnights skiing and want a cheap as chips set of chains that will do the job. They really only have to last the fortnight. In reality very little snow driving just to resort and to supermarket and back for a fortnight. But they must do the job. i.e I want to be safe but dont need the dogs off road special. 19inch wheels. Although I do have STT's on 17 inch but would prefer road tyres for the distance.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Chris

Post #2314256th Dec 2007 11:27 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

'Cheap as chips' and 'safe' very rarely go hand in hand Rolling Eyes
 The End  
Post #2314767th Dec 2007 12:36 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I always gaine dteh impression taht you got what you paid for.

Read asnow chain tests from a a French 4x4 magazine last year and the cheap chains were a pain to fit and more likely to damage your car when you misfitted them.
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #2315567th Dec 2007 8:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wavey66

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

For me it depends on what you plan to do with your D3. I'm off to Austria in February and having made the trip in various non 4x4s in the past I won't be worrying about snow chains. If your planning on going off road or have a remote challet somewhere then fair enough but I always find that the roads are well looked after - unlike this country which grinds to a halt at the first sign of snow.

Post #2315587th Dec 2007 8:39 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Chris... think about it. With you and your loved ones aboard, do you really want to risk the chains not doing their job properly Shocked

Buy some decent ones and then sell em on here or eBay when you get back.

Post #2315807th Dec 2007 9:55 am
heapster

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hire them from roofbox.co.uk, snowchains.co.uk or similar. From memory about £40 for decent quality chains for a couple of weeks. Or about £100 for a basic set to buy.

If it's just into and out of the resort/supermarket then you will probably never need them as the roads will likely be clear anyway.

Post #2316047th Dec 2007 11:08 am
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Slimer wrote:
'Cheap as chips' and 'safe' very rarely go hand in hand Rolling Eyes

i agree with slimer, the D3 is a heavy machine, you will probably find you will need to bring an extra set of cheap chains with you to replace the broken ones, Then they wont be as cheap anymore !
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #2316137th Dec 2007 11:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

wavey66 wrote:
For me it depends on what you plan to do with your D3. I'm off to Austria in February and having made the trip in various non 4x4s in the past I won't be worrying about snow chains. If your planning on going off road or have a remote challet somewhere then fair enough but I always find that the roads are well looked after - unlike this country which grinds to a halt at the first sign of snow.

I was under the impression that as of November 2007 it is compulsory to have snow chains for the winter in Austria, regardless of whether your car has 4WD or not - everybody has to have them. You may not need to use them but you have to carry them. Parts of Germany may be the same as well.
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #2316327th Dec 2007 12:11 pm
catweasel

it amazes me that people spend Censored of cash on silly items and go cheap for a rarely used item that could save their life just because they probably wont use it.

Post #2317087th Dec 2007 3:55 pm
defender

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Tim in Scotland wrote:

I was under the impression that as of November 2007 it is compulsory to have snow chains for the winter in Austria, regardless of whether your car has 4WD or not - everybody has to have them. You may not need to use them but you have to carry them. Parts of Germany may be the same as well.

I'm in Austria now and whilst getting my winter tyres fitted I asked about snow chains and they said I did not need them with the disco due to the tyres. When a road gets very bad they put a sign on it saying that to go down this road you must have chains, but other than that on normal roads it isn't compulsory to carry them.
Even when the signs are up for chains the D3 with winter tyres does not have a problem at all.

Post #2317177th Dec 2007 4:20 pm
simon

so where is Mr cymers_uk gone Whistle

Post #2317187th Dec 2007 4:20 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Don't be horrid guys..... be helpful.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #2317197th Dec 2007 4:21 pm
simon

We are. Just surprised why anyone would want cheap chains when your life is at stake on an icy hairpin bend up a very steep mountain Shocked

Post #2317217th Dec 2007 4:23 pm
wavey66

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Checked a couple of sites :

HERTZ
According to them it is compulsory to have snow chains while driving through Austria or Switzerland in winter. "In case you travel through these countries do not forget to order snow chains by Hertz".

The AA site here : http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/AA_Austria.pdf

States :

In winter months, winter tyres are highly recommended and, in extreme conditions, the authorities may require cars to be fitted with snow chains. The international road sign for the compulsory use of snow chains is then used.

Thats as clear as erm Mud ! - sounds like you don't have to have them and if you are sticking to major roads you should be ok however if you are going off major roads or the weather is bad then snow chains are required and if you do buy them get good ones.

#As a final note this is an intetresting post although not for D3s specifically it does indicate the benefit of using chains even on 4x4s
http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml_chainss.html

with all this in mind I Think I'll be buying a set

Post #2318487th Dec 2007 8:13 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ihave seen someone with cheap chains in France lasted about 20 meters Rolling with laughter and they had to be towed out by a disco 2 i have the rud chains heavy duty for my D3 and my works van which i use regular in muddy fields and tracks you get what you pay for.

Post #2318557th Dec 2007 8:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >