Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Prop shaft question lol 😂
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mlevett

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Prop shaft question lol 😂

So it seems my D3 hates me and likes to blow up and break down every time I try and take some time off work. Latest brake down was a blown rear wheel bearing and upper arm bushes. After spending most of Xmas and new year outside in all weather replacing that I thought I was good.

Nope first test drive and all seemed well apart from the hand brake throwing an absolute wobble (had not readjusted the shoes after doing the bearing untill I headed home and stopped at traffic lights with the window open so I could h ear if there was any issues and I heard what can only be described as rod knock sound as I pulled away, hoped it was not me but alas it turned out to not be. Anyway back home and readjust the hand brake and resolved that only to benotice the knock when I rotated the drivers wheel. Sounded like the prop, initial thoughts were center support had gone again (was done a a few years ago).

Well looks like it was the center CV joint, I'm assuming that it's not meant to come apart like this?

Click image to enlarge

When I removed it, it bent and got stuck, then fell apart. Assume that's not a serviceable part and need a new shaft?

Post #235845710th Jan 2024 4:47 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

It is meant to come apart.

It can go back together in 2 ways.
1 with little articulation (wrong)
2 with full articulation correct.

You need to see if it’s broke. Otherwise you correctly align it and then feed the balls in. And put the cover back on.

If its fallen apart I guess it’s broke ?

Post #235846010th Jan 2024 4:58 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

She doesn’t hate you, she just loves the attention! Laughing

Post #235846110th Jan 2024 5:00 pm
mlevett

Thanks, it was on the car and didn't come apart when I replaced the centre bearing a couple of years ago and was fine then. noticed a horrid knock/metallic tick when moving so looked and found I could twist the front bad rear sections slightly and the play was in that joint. when i removed it and pulled it from under the car it had locked in a slight angle and when i tried to move it back it popped apart and the balls fell out. There seems to be some light damage to the balls, some marks but cant feel them. I suspect there is way to much play in it. one thing i noticed was the car started to jolt and knock when downshifting to a stop so assumed it was part of that issue.

I may have to look into seeing if i can get it back together, lucky i marked both ends before removal so i can "Clock" it back in the same place.[/quote]

Post #235846210th Jan 2024 5:05 pm
mlevett

DSL wrote:
She doesn’t hate you, she just loves the attention! Laughing

Oh yes, i agree with that, so far this year ive had to replace the brake master cylinder twice, the booster, alternator, 3 sets of EGR valves, one set of brake shoes, the glass roof twice.... the list goes on lol, got a funny noise from engine which i still need to sort (think its the AC compressor - AC does not have gas as i think the rear system leaks). could do with someone local to help me fix a few things lol

Post #235846410th Jan 2024 5:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >