Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Greetings from ...........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 56 of 66 <123 ... 555657 ... 646566>
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I’m bloody well pleased with that pressy!

Paul....i’m slightly disappointed..... don’t worry Miss and Mrs Pelyma will be contacted remorsely with catalogues of incredibly expensive Lehels, Oakley’s, STX’s...... Very Happy

Post #20581873rd Jun 2019 10:31 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Pelyma wrote:
That is WEIRD

I don’t often read the full “things to do” list but I did for that one. We’ll have a look at them and see if we can book a few things for the end of June. Thumbs Up

Today is a slobby day, just having a wander round this little bit of Tokyo Bay. See if we can get a closer pic of the hydrofoils that zip past our hotel.

Rubbish pic.

Click image to enlarge

Post #20582114th Jun 2019 1:22 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Howdy folks, another couple of nice lazy days in Tokyo. Yesterday was basically an easy day, with a walk to a local park. On the way there passed this ship’s rigging in the quayside. Note plastic sailor chap, unfortunately the crows moved as was trying to persuade SWMBO that they were also plastic crows. SWMBO was not impressed. Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

On to the park. Lovely and peaceful, away from the traffic and hussle of Tokyo life. Great place to sit and watch the world go by slowly.

Click image to enlarge

It was a royal park in the 10th Shogun, which roughly equates to the 3rd Discovery or the 15th Series. Whistle Whistle Embarassed Lots of traps and much sneakiness to lure in shooting poor daffy for sport. Looks like one chap who hunted them with falcons had a little remorse. Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Walking past a dockside bit, we spotted this chap. Well by we, I mean I as SWMBO was totally obliv to this 2m long killer snake eyeing us up for lunch. I am proud to report that once SWMBO spotted what I was trying to point out (big snake just in front of us) there were no girly screams. And none from me either. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Today was a totally lazy day, didn’t even get up until well after breakie had closed. Took the river bus up to Asakawa area, passing Home-Sweet-Home on the way. Much fun/discussions/arguments are had trying to figure out which windows are ours. We think 3rd row from the top, 1st & 2nd from right. For any extra long range pesky drone flyers, the bathroom has blinds, much to SWMBO’s relief.

Click image to enlarge

Lots of low bridges on the way up river, this was with the tide out!

Click image to enlarge

And views of the Tokyo SkyTree. I was going to take an overdose of brave pills and go up it but decided that it would not be a good idea. At Vietnamese prices, yes it’s cheap to scare yourself, at Tokyo prices it’s just plain daft. Phewwwww. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Looks like wedding pics time, top of SkyTree got lopped accordingly. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I have no idea what that gold thing is meant to be but if it ties up with the warning signs that have a smiling dog wagging its tail in relief, that’s gotta be a pressie from Godzilla!!

Then up to the Asakusa temple complex. Really busy, lots of peeps in Japanese traditional dress out for the day.

Click image to enlarge

We have seen peeps (mostly ladies) wear traditional dress in normal life, like the lady sitting on the next table down at the mo, it helps bring a serenity to the weirdness here. Thumbs Up

Asakusa Temple pics.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And then a couple of pics from the combo of walk and metro back.

The Godzilla’s Poo statue plus SkyTree again, with all sorts other bits & pieces and an off season tourist boat.

Click image to enlarge

And lastly as the hotel is right next to the ferry terminal at Takeshiba Pier, the slow lifeline ferries to the islands SE of Tokyo come in, as well as the hydrofoils. Always nice and relaxing watching other peeps work. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Right, it’s getting dark here so much ship watching to be done. Thumbs Up And vino to be consumed. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Post #20586385th Jun 2019 10:27 am
Pelyma

England 

Farmer Chalk wrote:
I’m bloody well pleased with that pressy!

Paul....i’m slightly disappointed..... don’t worry Miss and Mrs Pelyma will be contacted remorsely with catalogues of incredibly expensive Lehels, Oakley’s, STX’s...... Very Happy

I can assure you daily reports of Facebook posts far exceeds a few brochures. Dearest daughter has her heart set on a 26t Lehel, to the point of saying that we should have bought one of those instead of building the annexe and barn, her Nanna could have lived in that Shocked Boy is she going to keep some lad very poor. Rolling with laughter
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #20586555th Jun 2019 11:17 am
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Looks like a Japanese Striped Snake - no venomous and perfectly safe as long as you're not a rat Laughing
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #20586595th Jun 2019 11:45 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Shhhhh, don’t tell SWMBO. She’s working on the assumption that all snakes are venomous. Even rubber ones. Whistle

And another bleeeeeeeeezer in good not-so-old Tokyo, up to a lovely 32c. So fantastic SWMBO took her cardie off!! Literally if it has a 2 as first number or the temp she’s cardied up, if it’s a 3 she’s just tee. Shocked

Firstly warning sign of the day. Caution - explosive break dancing, or is it brake dancing in this case. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Then to Oeno Park for more tranquility and heat. Calm, soothing pics time.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Only stresser was that the Hanoi Swans were still following us. And found some paint! Shocked Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Then up the Tokyo Municipal Gvt building. Half the height of the SkyTree and free. Bonus. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

New Tokyo National stadium is in this one somewhere. Just to right of “highest” pointy building. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Then back in the Tokyo Metro and back for soak in tub. I was going to open the blinds so I could watch the shipping from the 22nd floor, but thought better of it as there are a fair few helicopters around here. Shocked

View from lounge after settling down.

Click image to enlarge

And final pic from a few mins ago, sunset behind the Eiffel Tower. I wonder if the French have noticed it’s missing. Whistle Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Post #20589636th Jun 2019 10:19 am
DSL

Ukraine 

PS And we’ve just booked a couple of seats in the Giants enclosure for the Baseball on 2nd July at the Tokyo Dome. Neither of us have the slightest clue how baseball works and have between now and then to work it out. As we’ll be in the home town’s seats the advice for SWMBO is cheer when the peeps around us cheer, look glum when they look glum. The ticket includes a free Giants t-shirt, just hope they go up to Sumo size. Whistle

Post #20589756th Jun 2019 10:40 am
ianm27

Assume the "sumo size" t-shirt is for a friend Whistle

Baseball is easy - a guy throws a ball, another guy hits, lots of guys run around - simples! Rolling with laughter
Limo Tint
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #20590186th Jun 2019 12:22 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Re T-shirt, prob not. They size things a tad small here. Sad

Another day, another Shinkansen and another major island, Hokkaido this time. Over 4 hours on this beastie got us to within slow train ride of Hakodate. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

It certainly didn’t hang around, though we didn’t see the magic 200mph.

Click image to enlarge

This is the local train to Hakodate, it’s beautifully timed to pick up passangers from the Shinkansen. None of the pulling into a station to see your connection heading off, like in the days of BR. God help the train travelling Brits if the railways get stolen by gvt/renationalised. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

The Shinkansen line to Hokkaido ends just N of here, it’s extension to Sapporo is on the cards but we won’t hold our breath, looking at being ready in 2030. We’ve got about shade under 3 weeks in Hokkaido so we’ll have to get used to slow trains. Big Cry Big Cry

Now I’m quite happy up here, it reminds me of jollies to N Norway, it has that kind of feel just with lots of Kanji characters everywhere. And the wind and temp is the same, which has not impressed SWMBO one little bit. She’s gotten too used to 30something temps, not mid teens with a decent dollop of windchill. Shocked Never mind, it means my pack will be lighter when moving from place to place as SWMBO will be wearing most of her clothes. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up It doesn’t help me reminding her that this place has sea ice in the winter and where we’ll be in a couple of weeks, Abashiri, does trips out in the ice in an icebreaker!!

A few pics from here.

The hotel is a bit of a hike from the station, luckily close enough to prevent hyperthermia setting in. Station on rhs, hotel on lhs. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

SWEEEEEEEEET trams.

Click image to enlarge

Then dinner. Luckily we don’t suffer from Coulrophobia.

Click image to enlarge

As this is a bit of mahooooooooosive a seafood spot, there’s lots of plastic food showing what’s available. Not for us as we’d just eaten at the clown’s place and seafood is pretty much morning only. Will give it a go tomorrow. We’ve just got to avoid the places where we choose the crab, or whatever. Like in HK, I’d have given it a name, sorted out it’s visa, a seat on the flight back and where it’s going to stay at home, all before it’s served up. Sad

Click image to enlarge

SWMBO’s just been reading up on eating red cuttle fish with a splash of soya. When she says raw & fresh, she means rigglingly fresh!! Shocked Shocked

All this crab is unbearable. Whistle Embarassed

Click image to enlarge

And back to the hotel with a cheap but scrummy BoV, to be had in very weird glasses.

Click image to enlarge

Which finally leads to the view. There’s supposed to be a volcano under all this cloud, all we see is sticky up bits so we think it’s really an alien space ship ready to head to the stars. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Oh, and re the weather, it’s might be nippy for SWMBO but it’s a LOT better than it is where we were a couple of weeks ago. Down on Kyushu island they’ve been having major rainfall and storms, even though they would be warm. Whistle

Post #20592397th Jun 2019 10:40 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Bow down Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #20592507th Jun 2019 11:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

ianm27 wrote:
Baseball is easy - a guy throws a ball, another guy hits, lots of guys run around - simples! Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

We’re watching it now and it’s deffo not that easy to follow.

Click image to enlarge

It’s certainly loud!! Looks like we might have to change our chant to “GO IANTS!!!” Shocked Whistle

Click image to enlarge

PS We won!! Whoop, whoop! Thumbs Up Just not sure how. Whistle

Note sponsor logo!! It’s not particularly effective as we’ve seen one LR product since we got here. You lot are paying for that. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Post #20592707th Jun 2019 12:44 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

One or two Whistle more pics from Hakodate. Thumbs Up

This is seafood central, all nicely set up near the cruise ship berth and hotels for the tourists. Lots and lots and lots of fishy/seafood bits & bobs to purchase, many still kicking or swimming. Now this place was pretty much grown up on the back of squid, so much so they have squid shaped letter boxes.

Click image to enlarge

And you can fish for your own squid, although that should surely be squid for your squid? Whistle These looked like repurposed small swimming pools full of squid.

Click image to enlarge

Where you get you breakie super fresh.

Click image to enlarge

It’s diced and sliced immediately and then off down the hatch. Allegedly. I hadn’t had my morning brave pill. Whistle

Also lots of different type of crab, incl king crab. These bad boys are ¥10,000(£72.56)/kg so a bit steep for us but they can literally be BBQed there & then.

Click image to enlarge

As no brave pill taken this morning it was off to MickyDees. Note to those who order coffee and tea together (SWMBO doesn’t like coffee Shocked ), don’t assume the little tub with the yellow lid is cream.

Click image to enlarge

Actually it wasn’t too bad with lemon, and sugar, as I’ve got a bit of lurgie it was almost medicinal. Whistle

Then off around town. Bit of a wander back to the sea front, and head towards the volcano, Mt Hakkodate. Here seen from the hotel room with the seafood market lower right.

Click image to enlarge

Ropeway (as opposed to cable car) up there, it was like something out of Moonraker, I half expected Jaws to jump over.

Click image to enlarge

Fantastic views to the top, it was lovely and clear, even if a bit windy. Well worth the trip up. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Daft warning sign of the day goes to this one. If the wind blows you over and you land on your backside how are you going to hurt the top of your head? Whistle

Click image to enlarge

And that only left the quest for dinner, after soak in stupidly short bathtub. We were going to go back to one of the Lucky Pierrot burger joints. It’s a local Hakkodate chain that had 17 in the city. They do this 18cm stack for ¥888 (£6.45) that might have been calling. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Instead we went sushi. Our first time at a sushi bar, first time either of us had taken food off a conveyor belt apart from at the supermarket. The place was getting very full at 5pm, we got one of the last slots.

Click image to enlarge

SWMBO doesn’t do raw fish or shellfish, esp if it’s still moving, so she had food that had been warmed up ever so slightly, we both loved our choices. Tuna was extra scrummy.

Click image to enlarge

I know it’s supposed to be a delicacy but I couldn’t bring myself to try sea urchin. This was the chance to try them but they weren’t grabbing me, or more like I wasn’t grabbing one of them. Maybe next time. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

We had quite a respectable stack of plates at the end, and with drinks it was £33ish so not too bad for Japan. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

All in all a nice day wandering around this small part of Hakkodate. Tomorrow much the same but will let the tram do the hard work. Mr. Green

Post #20594638th Jun 2019 11:12 am
ianm27

Great pics and narration - keep up the reports Thumbs Up

Never tried sushi but would be in the line for those BBQ'd shrimps

And such a cute letterbox 8)
Limo Tint
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #20595018th Jun 2019 2:30 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Unfortunately we avoided shrimps as many are served raw here, as was the squid the little girl hooked above. We’ve also seen chicken tartare here ISTR. Shocked Shocked

We also saw these on sale, sea squirts or sea pineapple. We know to avoid anything that is described as a delicacy/acquired taste as they have been described as tasting like rubber dipped in ammonia.

Click image to enlarge

PS And good morning, it’s a booooooooooooootiful day in Hakodate. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #20596539th Jun 2019 12:09 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nice. I love Japan. I'm out to Tokyo beginning of July.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder