Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

battery drain (parasitic)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Trucks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I forgot to ask how could I test the cartridge fuses I believe the plastic top comes off but mine seem to attached to get the cover off(when testing I mean with the meter I can obviously see if they are blow or not lol.))

Post #214042522nd Apr 2020 4:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

matgriff wrote:
Quote:

Just quickly , u want ur multimeter set to DC amps not volts , then use ur meter probes across the fuses

Ref multimeter in-line for some reason I couldn’t get it to work like that

If you put your meter on the current range (Amps) and put it across a fuse that isn't blown, you'll measure nothing.. the current will flow through the fuse and not through the parallel meter. If you were to put the meter across a blown fuse, (with the fuse body still in situ) then you are in effect completing the circuit with the meter and you'll measure the current drawn by the circuit...but beware, you now have no fuse, so any fault current will blow the meter fuse or meter .

By the way, I'm not trying to be a tw**t here, or a smart ass... I'm just trying to help, I'm a power electronics design engineer, this is the type of stuff I do every day Smile I'd like to pay back some of the help & advice I've got from others on the forum

Hi

Don’t be daft and is great having such knowledge

Indeed I set my meter to dc amps then went across the back of each fuse until I saw a draw , in the end found it was one of the 50/60 amp fuses that fed the inside passenger fuse box

As u rightly say most of the fuses when I out a test probe across each fuse I got nothing, until I got to the bigger fuses

Ur not being a smart ass at all just sharing ur extensive knowledge and think it’s great when that is shared

Also hope I’m not coming across a smarty pants , lol

Post #214042622nd Apr 2020 4:46 pm
gstuart

Trucks wrote:
I forgot to ask how could I test the cartridge fuses I believe the plastic top comes off but mine seem to attached to get the cover off(when testing I mean with the meter I can obviously see if they are blow or not lol.))

Hi

I did remove the larger ones and fitted test leads instead , mainly so I could use my clamp meter but u can remove the plastic covers and use a multimeter if u wish

Also this is a great link

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/robbies-gui...tery+drain

Post #214042722nd Apr 2020 4:47 pm
Trucks

I understand what you are all saying about the using the dc setting when testing and I feel there is some confusion going on
The meter (yellow one)you see in the picture is purely used to read the amount of amps being discharged and to observe any peak or drop in amperage when pulling the fuses, as explained earlier in the old fashioned method hence it being set on amps.
If the meter was showing say 1.25 amps and I pulled the offending fuse that figure would disappear,that's how I understand the old fashioned way works
Is that incorrect?

When I used the clamp meter which is set on amps as in the picture and clamped onto the wire to the fuse box I tested each fuse on the dc setting ( max 20v) on my multimeter to see which one was drawing excess voltage surely that is correct.

If a fuse was not pulling anything as the car is asleep then there would be a zero reading,if for an instance the draw was coming from a faulty radio, that fuse would show up the amount of draw on my multimeter and I could rectify the situation.

But alas as mentioned not one fuse showed anything but 0.01sometimes then straight back to zero in an instant.

Can anybody enlighten me as to what the meters are showing as I said earlier I thought 0.02 or 0.01 was 20 or 10 mlliamps
Or is it 200m/a and 100m/a and the clamp on showing 00.55 is it 55 mlliamps or 550 m/a if the latter one is correct no wonder the battery is dying in a couple of days .

The only fuses not tested is the cartridge ones as mentioned earlier .

Sorry if I sound stupid but trying to put things down on paper and as short and easily understandable is somewhat harder than some people might think.

And I never think anyone is a smart ass or a know it all, just grateful that there are forums like this to help others like me.

When I passed all my mechanical exams back in very early 70s I got 99.99% on demonstration and verbal explanations how a Perkins diesel engine worked coupled with a synchromesh gearbox, that was doddle compared to this.
Pete

Post #214046122nd Apr 2020 7:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

The problem with the old method of pulling fuses is that with these cars having computers they are dynamic and this can result in the car booting up and giving false readings although not something u have seen.

0.03. Is 30mA.

It’s more important to check the physically large fuses first.

Post #214046622nd Apr 2020 7:53 pm
Trucks

Ok going to see what happens tomorrow and thanks to all
Be safe and stay home if you can
Pete

Post #214047322nd Apr 2020 8:23 pm
gstuart

Hi

Hopefully this may help in what I done to test the cartridge type fuses

Got a book and started to write down what fuses were what so could then at least have a reference

Click image to enlarge

Made up some test leads, did find out it was better to reinstall the cartridge fuses on the ends , reason I made up so many was to save me time not having to wait 30 x mins every time I pulled a fuse

Click image to enlarge

Installed the links then fitted cartridge fuses ON the ends

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

After establishing that it was F18 that was pulling the draw, ( this fuse feeds the passenger side fuse box )
I reinstalled the cartridge fuses apart from F17/18

Put my multimeter onto one side and ur see the black test lead at the bottom

Also used my clamp meter to double check of what I was drawing

Click image to enlarge

Can see where I’ve turned the red lead upside down to gain better access using my clamp meter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Meter results which proved that the draw was coming from the passenger fuse box

Click image to enlarge

Was really difficult trying to get a reading from the inside fuse box , so cable tied some probes together

Click image to enlarge

A lot easier to test

Click image to enlarge

I then tested all the fuses inside and established where I have retrofitted an electric seat that had a memory ecu , so after unplugging the memory ecu that was the culprits causing the drain

Ended up buying a new non memory seat switch , removed the entire drivers seat loom and made up a new one

Hope that’s sort of makes sense for u and indeed Plse let us know how things go

Ps ( Pete K ) was a legend and helped me when I had the battery drain, he had the patience Of a saint

Post #214049922nd Apr 2020 10:01 pm
gstuart

Also here’s a Link showing what numbers all the fuses are

https://fuse-box.info/land-rover/land-rove...and-relays

Plus full wiring manual, starts around page 80 for the battery , fuses boxes etc

http://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/u...ing%29.pdf

Hope that helps and tried to put the pics in order so it’s not all over the place

Post #214050022nd Apr 2020 10:09 pm
Trucks

Stuart and all the other replies and various other bits of information on this forum, all of you have been a great help and I thank you all.
Its going to take time to do things all over again but when I have I will let the forum know the outcome. I hope to be looking at things again today.(if permitted)
her indoors is giving the ear an ache worried about me doing to much since I got somewhat better, spent bloody hours and hours on the car she says.
Pete

Post #214052223rd Apr 2020 7:59 am
gstuart

Hi Pete

Ur so very welcome and hope the info helps u find the drain

Fully understand as it took me days to slowly go through the system

Indeed also got great help here as I was really scratching my head before of how to test the cartridge fuses and the rest of the system

Did find writing findings down helped as I kept forgetting if I had tested section or not lol

All the best and plse let us know how u get on Thumbs Up

Post #214053123rd Apr 2020 8:28 am
matgriff

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi again

These type of problems can be notoriously difficult to track down, however some "basic" fault finding techniques can make inroads to pointing you in the right direction.

I appreciate the science behind, for example the table showing the fuses and the voltage drop across each one etc, but my point was (and is) the differences and measurements needed to discern any real information from these is beyond the accuracy of general measurement kit.. for example trying to measure the difference between 0.1mv and 0.3mv dropped across a fuse with a multi-meter of +-2% accuracy on its full range of 1000v is Censored in the wind so to speak.

Of course the reasoning that a larger fuse has a lower resistance than a small fuse is sound, and therefore will have a lower voltage drop for a given current is also sound... that's just ohms law.

Basically if your good battery is draining in 2 days, your looking for a fairly significant problem that can easily be measured with basic test equipment, which you have.

If we go back to your original post, your clamp meter seems to be showing 0.55A, which is 550ma... this is a hefty draw if that's with everything off.

Just taking an example here & remember there are more factors to consider, but in principal if your battery is rated at 75A/hr it can supply 75A continuous for 1 hour or 1A continuous for 75 hours.

Taking your draw of 550ma (or 0.55A) that would give a battery life of 75hrs / 0.55 ie 136 hours or around 5-6 days, of course the battery would appear "flat" much sooner than that.

So as a starting point, I would look at your theory of different battery life with different locking/unlocking situations to establish some facts.

Extend the cable with a big loop, so that you can fit the meter(s) outside the car with the bonnet closed.

Go through each scenario and measure the parasitic battery drain for each case over an extended period. When you have these results, report back and we can take it from there.

Regards

Mat
 2005 TDV6 SE Auto
Cairns Blue 

Last edited by matgriff on 23rd Apr 2020 1:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #214055723rd Apr 2020 9:26 am
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: battery drain (parasitic)

Trucks wrote:
and the car double locked (two presses of the fob)

I thought on a D3 two presses on the fob disabled the alarm/interior sensors. It's 'double locked' with one press. The D4 is two presses to double lock.

Confused

Not sure if that would make much difference to your tests though.

Post #214056223rd Apr 2020 9:43 am
Trucks

Jmack
yes that's correct that's as I am sure I said if I use the one press the alarm goes of every 20 minutes or so.
Hence the reason I need to do as suggested try and sort out the alarm problem first,but where do I start looking at that issue? Probably the interior sensors and wiring I guess.
Thanks
Pete

Post #214056323rd Apr 2020 9:52 am
gstuart

matgriff wrote:
Hi again

These type of problems can be notoriously difficult to track down, however some "basic" fault finding techniques can make inroads to pointing you in the right direction.

I appreciate the science behind, for example the table showing the fuses and the voltage drop across each one etc, but my point was (and is) the differences and measurements needed to discern any real information from these is beyond the accuracy of general measurement kit.. for example trying to measure the difference between 0.1mv and 0.3mv dropped across a fuse with a multi-meter of +-2% accuracy on its full range of 1000v is Censored in the wind so to speak.

Of course the reasoning that a larger fuse has a lower resistance than a small fuse is sound, and therefore will have a lower voltage drop for a given current is also sound... that's just ohms law.

Basically if your good battery is draining in 2 days, your looking for a fairly significant problem that can easily be measured with basic test equipment, which you have.

If we go back to your original post, your clamp meter seems to be showing 0.55A, which is 550ma... this is a hefty draw if that's with everything off.

Just taking an example here & remember there are more factors to consider, but in principal if your battery is rated at 75A/hr it can supply 75A continuous for 1 hour or 1A continuous for 75 hours.

Taking your draw of 550ma (or 0.55A) that would give a battery life of 75hrs * 0.55 ie 41.25hours or just less than 2 days, of course the battery would appear "flat" much sooner than that.

So as a starting point, I would look at your theory of different battery life with different locking/unlocking situations to establish some facts.

Extend the cable with a big loop, so that you can fit the meter(s) outside the car with the bonnet closed.

Go through each scenario and measure the parasitic battery drain for each case over an extended period. When you have these results, report back and we can take it from there.

Regards

Mat

Hi mat

If I may say some extremely sound advice

When I had the parasitic drain in mine the meter would sometimes wander , ref the fluke I have calibrated by a mate every year or two because I’m no longer working on boilers I didn’t really need to get them calibrated but do like to at least ensure I can rely on that one

Got and for some reason srill do get so confused when reading the figures , ie where the decimal limit was and know I had to keep asking

Started with 0.85 Ma then after 30 mins dropped to 0.40 which I think is 850ma and 400ma , then when I connected my hantek clamp meter I got even more confused , where It had 1mv to 100ma, I think , lol

Was handy in one sense when I use to diagnose boilers Etc or how to take ur time and do testing in a set orderly pattern, found having a book very handy as a reference point of what I had and haven't tested

For the future would like to get an oscilloscope seeing u can do a lot with them in a wider testing point of view including learning more seeing vehicles will only get more complicated over time and would at least like to try and better understand how the systems work

Thks again if I may say for the excellent advice plus the expertise u have in this subject Bow down

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by gstuart on 23rd Apr 2020 10:05 am. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #214056523rd Apr 2020 9:56 am
gstuart

Trucks wrote:
Jmack
yes that's correct that's as I am sure I said if I use the one press the alarm goes of every 20 minutes or so.
Hence the reason I need to do as suggested try and sort out the alarm problem first,but where do I start looking at that issue? Probably the interior sensors and wiring I guess.
Thanks
Pete

Hi Pete

Nothing like a few faults at the same time thrown in, lol I would link out the bonnet switch first and then lock u disco and see if the alarm goes off

At least then u can systematically go through the system but would start with the bonnet catch Thumbs Up

Also know when I issues with the battery draining etc there were so many here who would always spend the time helping me in what to test and why

Fingers crossed it’s just that bonnet catch

Plse let us know how things go

Post #214056623rd Apr 2020 10:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >