Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Rear Drawers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Rear Drawers

Jsut had some new rear drawers manufactured by Opposite Lock that people may be intereste in. Although there are lots of perm fixture drawer systems (eg Black Widow), I wanted some that could be easily fixed in when going camping and removed the rest of the time - as I use the Disco as a business vehicle.

O/L have mad up a frame which bolts down using the 'tie down' points (the tie down loops are removed and bolts threaded in), then the drawer system slides in to engage at the front (closest to the 2cnd row seats) with to pins and secure at the back with 3 bolts to the frame. One side contains 4 'Gomo' boxes which can be lifted out, mounted on frames, the other side has a fridge slide onto which our new National Luna Weekender fridge/freezer is mounted. The basic system is called a BOAB RD06KT and is sourced, I think, from South Africa. The clever part is really the mounting fram that O/L have designed and fabricated. They have taken some pix of the system as its the first one they've made. I'll also take some and post when I get a chance. Very neat system and fits together nicely, only down side is it's very heavy - 75KG for the complete drawer system, so it's not that easy to lift in and out.

Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #2698609th Mar 2008 6:21 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Martin,
Had some drawers made by Off Road System,(their 1st for a D3)which can also be easily removed. Only drawback (excuse the pun) is that cannot get to the spare wheel without removing one set of draws. Has OL overcome this problem??
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #2698769th Mar 2008 10:13 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi,

There was a release special on these drawers from OL last year, They offered a special price in the NT which was great and I ordered a set. After 6 months they had not delivered and unltimately would not honour the special. The OL store was managed by a friend so I got the facts regularly, basically OL had orders from all over the place and the manufacturer could not deliver. OL HQ claimed my order was missing and then that they never got it. I left it as a standing order to deliver to me in NSW when they came in. Been here more than 6 months and the deal has not been honoured. Great drawers though. I'm off OL for the moment.

Mad
 TDV6  
Post #2698799th Mar 2008 10:33 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Pics of your drawers, boys?

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #27077411th Mar 2008 2:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Rear Drawers

Ian V - sorry to hear about your experience. I don't know the business arrangements of Opposite Lock, but I think the outlets are independently owned. I've had nothing but exemplory service from Richard Warren at O/L in Adelaide. They did a whole lot of work on my previous Pajero and now on the Disco and I've found their work to be excellent along with their business ethics.

Wayne D - getting to the spare wheel is not aan issue as I'm running a 4x$ Int rear wheel carrier. It would, however, be a problem I think with the underslung wheel.

Simon, hopefully I'll have some photos shortly. O/L took quite a few for promo purposes as this is the first system they've done for a Disco and they had to make quite a few mods.

Cheers.
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #27084911th Mar 2008 10:58 am
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Martin, sounds great, cant wait to see pics and Price?
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #27183013th Mar 2008 4:20 am
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I purchased Opposite Lock drawer system in July 2007. I remove after trips. Just refitted as we are off for 4 months through the Simpson and the Kimberley.

[/img]
Frame in place. I have also removed 2nd row of seat and building platform to secure items there - photos soon

Tied down to 4 OE points

Note: Mitchell Bros tow hitch and bracket for Codan HF antenna

'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #27666223rd Mar 2008 11:45 pm
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Great Pics IanR

That is indeed the set I had been chasing and looks like a good fit. I like how the Frdige comes out over rthe tailgate.

rgds

Ianv
 TDV6  
Post #27669324th Mar 2008 3:22 am
StornowaySA

Rear Drawers Opposite Lock

Thought I'd post mine too!

These have a floor that bolts (screws) directly into the 4 original tie down points. It took me about 20mins to undo the four bolts and remove the whole drawer system and replace the original tie down points. Brilliant - but it is heavy!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #33523722nd Aug 2008 5:03 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Here's a pic of my home made drawers. The fridge slides out with the lower tailgate closed. 8)

It's fabricated from plywood, aluminium with 100kg roller slides on each drawer.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #33523822nd Aug 2008 5:13 am
StornowaySA

gee they look damn professional for "home made" Chris!! well done! Thumbs Up
Post #33523922nd Aug 2008 5:21 am
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Chris,

I am dumbfounded by how good your homemade drawers look Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

When you show us something like this, you should expect the inevitable. So I'm first off the rank - seeing as I am currently planning my own set of drawers.... Very Happy

1) Where did you source the 100kg slides from? How much?
2) What other hardware did you need other than nuts & bolts (ie latches, tie downs etc)?
3) What thickness plywood?
4) What are the dimensions?
5) What would you change if you had to re-do it again?
6) What did you use the aluminium for - the frame? Aluminium tubes or strips? Rivetted, soldered, screwed or bolted together?
7) Approx weight of the drawers?
8) How did you prevent rattles?

Thanks!

Cheers

Post #33586224th Aug 2008 12:07 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Eran48,

1) http://www.hafele.com.au/isapi/online/tchff/tchff.asp. Hafele are located in Melbourne and will supply interstate. The catalog that the link takes you to has a listing for drawer runners. I used 900mm drawer runners heavy duty single extension (p7.11). They cost around $110 a pair (or $220 for both drawers.

2) http://www.uesint.com/product/locks.php

http://www.uesint.com/index.php This company is one of many that sell the hardware like latches and tiedown loops which make the drawers look like a pro jobbie.

3) I used mainly 10mm thick plywood. Because plywood doesn't offer much strength in the right angle joins I used 3mm right angle aluminium to make the joins with counter sunk screws and PVA wood glue. I did this in the drawers as well. It's rock solid.

4) Roughly the depth is 900mm, width is between the tiedowns in the rear and height is enough for the fridge slide to slide out the back with the lower tailgate closed. When the box is this tall it make access to the storage compaments in the rear near impossilble and a blown rear fuse requires removal of the box which would be inconvenient but not difficult.

5) Priceless - I couldn't do it again, sorry. Crying or Very sad It's my second one and it takes a few weeks at night and weekends to build. Materials would cost you around $800.

6) The frame is Capral Qubelok aluminium 25mm square tube which is screwed to the plywood base. I have a 7 seater with the 3rd row seat removed and have cut the base out to allow easy access to the space where the seats fit. This also allows access to the spare wheel winch. You must support the centre of the storage box when you remove the rear seats.

7) The box plus drawers probably weighs around 50kg. I can easily lift the box in then slide the drawers in after.

.8) The carpet on the drawers is an interference fit so the drawers a "locked" in tight when closed so they don't rattle.

The cargo barrier was custom made and I arranged this via Simon_Arch (4x4 Intelligence) on this forum.

Hope that helps.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #33608725th Aug 2008 1:34 am
eran48

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks Chris Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Time to steal SWMBO's tape and get measurin' Very Happy

I was actually considering that aluminium Qubelok stuff (it is very light in weight) and not bother with the plywood - ie have a minimal skeketal frame to hold all the crates and fridge. This minimal frame would weigh probably less than 5kgs? I would only need very thin plywood to act as a base for the crates (I'll put in extra aluminium cross bars to act as support).

With the correct spacing of the cross bars, I can bolt the fridge slide directly to the frame.

Hmmmm, lots more thinking and planning to do.

Cheers

Post #33615825th Aug 2008 12:03 pm
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I got my storage system from this mob http://www.fourbyfitouts.com.au/landrover-detail.html

The owner's father has a D3 so they have done a pretty good job. Works very well, fairly cheap ($2k, including a basic fresh water set-up), light(ish) weight but strong, uses existing tiedown points and I can take it in and out in about 45mins.

Been heavily used and no isses to date. Can highly recommend them... Thumbs Up
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #33642725th Aug 2008 11:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >