sbarnham

Australia 
Dual Battery

Guys,

Who has fitted a dual battery ?

- brand of battery ?
- brand of isolator thingy ?
- who installed it ?
- where does the battery go ? Do you need a tray ?

Thanks in advance ...

Bye,
Scott
 New MY15 TDv6 D4 in Buckingham Blue

Previously 2005 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue
- LR Steel Bar & Lights, Cooper STT 245/70R17 on LR 17", ContiCrossContact UHP 255/60R18 on LR 18", Traxide/Optima Yellow Top, GME 3440 UHF, FrontRunner Roofrack.

Previously 1999 TD5 in Blenheim Silver 

Post #27203313th Mar 2008 1:23 pm
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

A lot of aux batteries have been fitted. It is simple to fit.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic11805.html
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post161612.html#161187
Traxide (Drivesafe) have the isolator and all the items required. Most have use Optima Yellow tops.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #27235513th Mar 2008 11:25 pm
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Had dual battery fitted by Graham Coopers in Sydney. You can check out my gallery for pictures
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #27240914th Mar 2008 2:05 am
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Scott,

I fitted the Traxide system (including the Optima batttery) in only 20 mins, sooo easy. Laughing

Traxide $199 (Internet)

Optima $360 (Autobarn)

Battery fits perfectly under the bonnet, drivers side.

Traxide supply everything, even the battery clamp and bolts.

Post #27241914th Mar 2008 6:25 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

hi Scott

The Traxide and Optima combination is probably best as it all fits in the Aux bat area and has minimal cable work. I have an Optima and Pranha solution that i got before the traxide was well published. I have more cables across the back of the engine bay as the Piranha unit is larger. The Piranha unit is very robust and isolates the battery from teh vehicle as well as the traxide but is not land rover "certified". It does have a 5 year warranty to back it up. I still think the Traxide is best solution and will probably change over next year to reduce the volume of cable work.

I'll post some pictures in a few hours.

Ianv
 TDV6  
Post #27243714th Mar 2008 8:31 am
sbarnham

Australia 

So from talking with service manager at the dealer, and reading posts on the list here is my understanding:

1. D3 has a lead/calcium battery that does not like to be linked to a lead/acid battery, as it will cause problems.
2. You can't use a second lead/calcium as AUX battery as they are not deep cycle so would not be much use.
3. The D3 electricals only charge the cranking battery to the level it was when the car started. ie. if your battery was low, a long drive will NOT bring it back to full capacity. You need to use a lead/calcium charger at home to do that.
4. Traxide seem to have the best controller and their kit looks great.
5. Most people seem to be using the Optima Yellow Top D34 battery as it fits in the AUX battery space in D3 with clamp from the traxide kit.

The two things I am not clear on:

A: How does the traxide controller prevent issues with an AUX battery not being lead/calcium as it seems the two batteries are connected at some points by the traxide controller ?

B: According to traxide's website, it siphons some power from the cranking battery to AUX battery, but does this not cause issue with the point #3 above where you can't fully recharge your cranking battery using the alternator ?

Thanks,
Scott

- LR Steel Bar & Lights, Cooper STT 245/70R17 on LR 17", ContiCrossContact UHP 255/60R18 on LR 18", Traxide/Optima Yellow Top, GME 3440 UHF, FrontRunner Roofrack.

Post #27245614th Mar 2008 9:45 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi sbarnham, I’ll try to correct a few myths you have been feed.

If you connect any type of battery to the electrical system in any type of vehicle, if that battery is low then it WILL be charged. Whether it is fully charged or only partially charge comes down more to how long you drive for than anything else.

With the D3, RRS and later versions of the MkIII RR, there is a slight difference in how the batteries are charged because of the continually varying voltage.

This continually varying voltage can have an effect on how well and how quick the battery will charge but so far I’ve not seen any evidence that any type of automotive battery can not be fully charged in one of these vehicles and I know of many D3 owners who are using conventional flooded wet cell batteries and are having no problems with charging the battery or problems in the vehicle because of the use of these batteries.

The main advantages of using the Optima battery is that it drops straight in without any need for modifications to fit it and that these batteries can be charged quicker and so can take advantage of the high current output of the new Landies but you have to weigh up these advantages against the huge additional cost of the Optima.

Please note, most other brands of AGM type batteries CAN NOT tolerate the high charging currents that are available when fitted in the engine bay, while flooded wet cell batteries are pretty well unaffected.

One more point specific to the SC40-LR and SC80-LR controllers, because they share the load between the cranking battery and the auxiliary battery(s), once the motor is started, the Landies new electronics senses that the cranking battery needs a charge and acts accordingly. This procedure helps to charge all batteries just that much quicker, no matter what type of auxiliary battery(s) is being used and again, because the load was shared in the first place, the auxiliary battery(s) is not going to be as low as it would be if some other make of DBS had been used, so this also helps to recharge the auxiliary battery(s) even quicker than would be capable with any other DBS.

Hope this is of some help to you.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7 

Last edited by drivesafe on 14th Mar 2008 10:00 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #27250414th Mar 2008 12:09 pm
sbarnham

Australia 

Drivesafe,

Your explanation makes sense to me, it seems plain stupid to be otherwise.

But I have been told the same thing by a LandRover dealer mechanic and his service manager, whom I have great respect for. I am not saying they are right, but it does make me want to be sure.

Hmmm... time to do some more investigating.

Regards,
Scott

Post #27250714th Mar 2008 12:17 pm
ianv

Right on the spot drive safe Thumbs Up
 TDV6  
Post #27250814th Mar 2008 12:18 pm
jhall

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Scott,

Another vote for the Traxide system. I ran one in the D2 with an Optima Yellow Top and was very happy with it, so I fitted the plug and play kit to the D3 a couple of weeks ago. Its a very neat and simple installation.

Drivesafe, when I purchased the kit we were talking about how to run the wires to the back. My solution ended up being very simple. I put a small fuse box in the aux battery compartment. Then I ran the cables through the usual grommet in the firewall, under the plastic trim round the doors and behind the plastic side trim panel in the rear up to a couple of DIN sockets in one of the little removable panels in the back, where I think the rear ICE controls go.

Cheers,
Jon

Post #27281314th Mar 2008 10:17 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Jon, I must pinch my wife’s D3 when she’s not aware of what I’m doing and run some cable to the rear. I’ll take some pics while I do it.

Cheers and thanks to all the other happy users.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #27288315th Mar 2008 12:25 am
ianv

Picture of an Optima in place and my piranha unit, Piranha has been faultless but is larger than traxide has more cable work and is more exposed in the current mount point.

Does have ability to manage third battery and accept solar panel input

TDV6  
Post #27294015th Mar 2008 4:37 am
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi gang... at the risk of sounding dumb... does the lid go back onto the box with the aux battery fitted into it???

Cheers

Mark t
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #27295915th Mar 2008 7:30 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

MarkTaylor wrote:
Hi gang... at the risk of sounding dumb... does the lid go back onto the box with the aux battery fitted into it???

Cheers

Mark t

Hi Mark,
It does - IF you have the right-sized battery.

Many batteries have a suitable "footprint" but are too tall to allow the cover to be refitted.

Post #27296015th Mar 2008 7:37 am
ianv

Absolutely, mine is on the right side of the picture, just took it off to show the battery in place.

Optima Yellow top fits.

rgds
 TDV6  
Post #27296115th Mar 2008 7:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >