Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Pre Heater
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
BN

England 

Pelyma wrote:
What was the effect of the error apart from the radio trick not working? What I'm getting at is it seems PCs can run with lots of small bugs/errors but they carry on as normal but the error is there. If these errors just mean that the radio trick stops working then the situation is just the same as not using it in the first place. Does this make sense? Rolling Eyes

No it simply cancels the heater so it will not work at all. It is a built in safety feature as it is a burner system and has to be treated similar to a central heating boiler in a house. A new Webasto would have to be fitted as a result as dealers cannot clear the error. I am not saying it will happen, but we pushed mine to its limits and that was the result.

Post #2879021st Nov 2005 7:48 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

BN wrote:
Pelyma wrote:
What was the effect of the error apart from the radio trick not working? What I'm getting at is it seems PCs can run with lots of small bugs/errors but they carry on as normal but the error is there. If these errors just mean that the radio trick stops working then the situation is just the same as not using it in the first place. Does this make sense? Rolling Eyes

No it simply cancels the heater so it will not work at all. It is a built in safety feature as it is a burner system and has to be treated similar to a central heating boiler in a house. A new Webasto would have to be fitted as a result as dealers cannot clear the error. I am not saying it will happen, but we pushed mine to its limits and that was the result.

I have to say that I use the feature regularly, I have once had the same issue as Pelyma experienced the other day, where there is no throttle response and the light stays on after startup. I found that flooring the throttle pedal briefly cleared it. It only seemed to happen because I let the heater run for more than 30 minutes. The heater runs for more than 30 minutes when the radio turns itself off during the cycle.

I intend to make my own remote start-up kit. I have got an old remote control set from my model aircraft days, with one of the servo's attached to a bit of doweling with a rubber glove filled with plaster of paris on the end, gaffer taped to the centre console and aimed at the radio on button should do the trick Wink

Post #2880221st Nov 2005 8:41 pm
Pelyma

England 

Gareth wrote:
BN wrote:
Pelyma wrote:

I have to say that I use the feature regularly, I have once had the same issue as Pelyma experienced the other day, where there is no throttle response and the light stays on after startup. I found that flooring the throttle pedal briefly cleared it. It only seemed to happen because I let the heater run for more than 30 minutes. The heater runs for more than 30 minutes when the radio turns itself off during the cycle.

I intend to make my own remote start-up kit. I have got an old remote control set from my model aircraft days, with one of the servo's attached to a bit of doweling with a rubber glove filled with plaster of paris on the end, gaffer taped to the centre console and aimed at the radio on button should do the trick Wink

Careful Gareth you must make sure you are transmitting on a different frequency to any other local users, otherwise you will get an error - the result of which can mean the rubber glove entering the wrong orafice Shocked Shocked Shocked This could affect your neighbours too, immediate rectification maybe impossible You have been warned
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #2880621st Nov 2005 8:45 pm
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Before you get carried away with your Wallace & Gromet inventions Gareth, has anyone proved that just by keeping the Radio on for an extended period of time (i.e keep turning it back on when it auto-turns-off) actually works.

I appreciate that the 'Radio trick' works for the 30 minute period (before it auto-shuts-off), but if you manually switch it back on again (without unlocking the doors etc) does it pick up the tread of where it was and keep the car awake?

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #2881321st Nov 2005 8:59 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Coffeecup wrote:
Before you get carried away with your Wallace & Gromet inventions Gareth, has anyone proved that just by keeping the Radio on for an extended period of time (i.e keep turning it back on when it auto-turns-off) actually works.

I appreciate that the 'Radio trick' works for the 30 minute period (before it auto-shuts-off), but if you manually switch it back on again (without unlocking the doors etc) does it pick up the tread of where it was and keep the car awake?

I will go out into the arctic and try it - stand by chaps 8)

Post #2881721st Nov 2005 9:03 pm
Pelyma

England 

Flat battery here we come Laughing
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #2881921st Nov 2005 9:07 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

OK, preheat time set for 21:00. Outside air temp is -1, engine is cold. Radio is currently off, I will go out at 20:55 and turn the radio on.

Post #2882221st Nov 2005 9:12 pm
BN

England 

It doesn't work for everyone. There are about 3 different versions. The MY06 does not even have the settings in the menu now. Mine does not set and cannot be set by the radio trick, but has the menu and then there are ones like Gareths car.

The fix to switch the heater on is simple. A new wire is connected to the Webasto and to the battery. Another is connected into the multi pin connector. If the two are linked with a simple switch, the heater would work until you open the door and then it will cancel, because the car drops the voltage and cuts the current on access. What Webasto are trying to do is use a remote to activate it properly and the problem is the voltage drop that LR have built in. This in returns puts the error into your heater, not the car and officially neither LR or Webasto can remove the error, so new Webasto at about £1900 plus fitting and VAT, around £3000.

Post #2882721st Nov 2005 9:29 pm
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Once my pre-heater is up and running, I can unlock the vehicle, and get in and it will still continue to run - until the ignition is turned on.

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #2883421st Nov 2005 9:45 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Is this pre-heater thingy only a TDV6 exclusive.

I feel left out Crying or Very sad
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #2883521st Nov 2005 9:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

OK, I went out at 20:55 and turned on the radio, and went out again at 21:03 and ......

....No heater Crying or Very sad

So, if you want to use this thing in the morning, the only way is to nip out in yer jammies, sit in the car and set the time for the next available time, switch off ignition, switch on radio.

Then retreat back into the house (ignoring odd looks from the neighbours) to thaw out and eat yer Weetabix.

"Its a Land Rover thing - you would'nt understand love

Post #2884921st Nov 2005 10:08 pm
Mossy

I have a Damart thermals catalogue soemwhere if that helps?
Laughing
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #2885221st Nov 2005 10:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mossy wrote:
Is this pre-heater thingy only a TDV6 exclusive.

I feel left out Crying or Very sad

Yes DERV only. The V8 obvioulsy warms up quick enough.

Post #2885621st Nov 2005 10:12 pm
Mossy

Ahhh but the good news is....... One less thing for me to worry about going wrong or not working.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #2885921st Nov 2005 10:14 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mossy wrote:
Ahhh but the good news is....... One less thing for me to worry about going wrong or not working.

Hmmm let me see, Spark plugs? Coils? HT Leads, WATER Confused Confused Confused I hope the latest V8 is better in water than the old one Wink

Post #2886121st Nov 2005 10:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >