Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

I just got quoted for $8000 to fix the car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
alexlvk96

Romania 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
I just got quoted for $8000 to fix the car

Long story short, I went for an oil and filters change and asked the mechanic to take a look under the car to see if everything is good and okay. I purchased this LR3 TDV6 HSE 4 months ago for $5500, I took the car for a spin, everything went nice, even had a local mechanic check the car and he mentioned that the tires need to be changed and there are a few bushings and calipers that need to be changed, nothing too expensive. At the mechanic that I did the service, he basically spent ~2 hours looking for issues such as: all bushings, all cardans, all rods, all control arms, CVT oil leaks, bellows, distribution, accessory belt, all brake pads, all brake discs, all calipers and the list goes on and on with parts that need to be repaired or changed.

The thing is, except an issue with my suspension, the air compressor overheats and gives me an amber suspension fault from time to time, the car runs fine. It doesn't make weird noises, I've done ~2000 km so far with it without any issues on motorways, forest roads (nothing too extreme). I do understand that some of them are recommended for preventive maintenance, but the price of the quote blew my mind. I did go under the car with him and saw some of the issues (such as bushings moving sideways, or parts where the rubber seal was broken) but I have a feeling I might get fooled into thinking that the car is a wreck and have it fixed.

After the quote I even started thinking about selling the car but calmed down and started looking at the quote. As far as I'm concerned, the biggest issue I see at the moment is the leaking oil from the gearbox which should be an easy and cheaper fix that changing the entire gearbox. I already bought 4 all season tires from KUMHO for a decent price and I'll get the on asap.

How worried should I be about all the other things mentioned? I do intend to change some of those parts, but not all at once since I cannot afford blowing 8k all at once. I'm also considering getting a 2nd opinion from another mechanic.
 2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver (Netherlands)  
Post #230063319th Jul 2022 4:07 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

well maybe that is to bring it to top conditon
or maybe you with have issues at the yearly/bi yearly check

gearboxes do leak from the connector sleeve.

Check how hot the wheels are left to right after a drive. If one side it hotter than the other, it could need brake calipers

Post #230063519th Jul 2022 4:43 pm
mek

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

You might want to consider buying a decent socket set and finding the advanced factors discount code...

I think most of us have replaced the majority of items on your list, and done so ourselves!

Post #230064419th Jul 2022 6:52 pm
alexlvk96

Pete K wrote:
well maybe that is to bring it to top conditon
or maybe you with have issues at the yearly/bi yearly check

gearboxes do leak from the connector sleeve.

Check how hot the wheels are left to right after a drive. If one side it hotter than the other, it could need brake calipers

I see, I will probably change parts as my wallet will allow and focus on the gearbox at first. Other than a laser thermometer and touching the brake discs, is there any other way to check the temperatures?
Post #230071720th Jul 2022 10:04 am
alexlvk96

mek wrote:
You might want to consider buying a decent socket set and finding the advanced factors discount code...

I think most of us have replaced the majority of items on your list, and done so ourselves!

I do have a socket set but no mechanical knowledge and I am a bit afraid of breaking something. As for Advanced Factors discount code, what is that?
Post #230071820th Jul 2022 10:05 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

That’s a code every D3 owner has to keep it on the road Thumbs Up

🥟 stew
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #230072920th Jul 2022 11:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alexlvk96

So basically a discount code for this website https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/ ?
Post #230073020th Jul 2022 11:20 am
jenseneverest

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

yes thats it....
8 grand is one hell of a list and nothing stands out as being that expensive from your list.
Brakes are obviously important, so is a gearbox leak as that will cost a lot of money if damaged due to running out of oil.

Post #230073220th Jul 2022 11:30 am
alexlvk96

It also includes the hourly rate for all the work that needs to be done which is around $3000 for ~90 hours of work for ~$30/hour (price varies between $10 and $50). The price for all parts is around $5000.
Post #230073620th Jul 2022 11:54 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

jenseneverest wrote:
nothing stands out as being that expensive from your list.

Well…. Is that the case?

I recently had a “few” worn arm bushings… rear and front…

Since we all know that complete replacement arms can be a better option than just new bushings… and i hate to do the same work twice, i wanted to renew all bushings in one go..
I ended up with 4 arm and bolt sets from AF, with a invoice above €1000 at arrival in the Netherlands..

I did have no time myself this time before summer holiday’s due to my business activities, so outsourced the work.. another €3000 ….

Two arms at the rear had to be cut up to remove them in a still reasonable time….

Due to sand ingress and a little rust, a lot was sized solid ..

The good news, it drives like new now.. Wink

Hopefully good for another 15 years…
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #230077220th Jul 2022 4:38 pm
jenseneverest

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Shocked 3000 euro in labour alone ?? I'm moving to Holland and opening a landie workshop......
makes me feel a load better having struggled with the rears on mine, took the best part of 10 hours with a lot of swearing, the fronts are dead easy, but would have happily done the job 4 times over at that price lol.

Post #230086821st Jul 2022 12:39 am
Moleshome

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Edit - Replied to the wrong post Rolling Eyes

Post #230088321st Jul 2022 8:25 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

jenseneverest wrote:
Shocked 3000 euro in labour alone ?? I'm moving to Holland and opening a landie workshop......
makes me feel a load better having struggled with the rears on mine, took the best part of 10 hours with a lot of swearing, the fronts are dead easy, but would have happily done the job 4 times over at that price lol.

TBH “easy talk” every job is different, i do “some” “spannering” by trade, just on motorcycles not cars…
As we need a motor every day and with a full portfolio in our own workshop, this kind of job was outsourced… they kept me updated every few hours and i know why it did take this time, and yes they did exchange the handbrake unit and cables on the same invoice… (had to do it twice as some ebay moron, (allmotorspares) sold me a “good and sound/tested” unit, with broken gear wheels and we had to do it twice)
I just wanted to make a point regarding high costs when outsourcing big jobs to a workshop…
It is very quick NOT cheap!

What allmotorspares sells as tested/good and sound, can look like this, internally..

As we tend to believe a trader, we only discovered this after experiencing malfunctioning… this is very time consuming on a LR D3/4 i can tell you…
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #230097821st Jul 2022 10:06 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

alexlvk96 wrote:
So basically a discount code for this website https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/ ?

To put things into perspective your Disco would have cost around ÂŁ55,000 when new, latest model D4 would have cost around ÂŁ80,000, now is it so expensive to repair.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #230099722nd Jul 2022 6:20 am
jenseneverest

TBH im probably out of touch with labour rates, my "spannering" is on HGV's. All my colleges will send there own cars to dealers or good independent garages despite being more than capable of doing the work themselves.
I have no trust, especially in main dealers, (or garages in general) and so will always work on my own cars. Yes i know things can go wrong and take a load of time to fix, i changed what i now term the hose from hell on the engine block a while ago, the job took 2 days in the end for one bloody coolant hose.

My distrust in dealers stems from the many cock ups i have seen over the years, for example the new work van had a set of break pads done by the main dealers, collected and delivered back to us by them......problem was the break pads had been fitted back to front, literally metal on metal. No one including the sales rep that brought the van back thought there was anything wrong with it. In the end i had to get the manager and there "technician" down to have a look. Turns out, their apprentice had done the work on our van.... obviously unsupervised, great.

Post #230100622nd Jul 2022 8:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >