DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Alpine KCE-425i
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Alpine KCE-425i

Has anyone heard more about this unit?

Wiggs mentioned it back in May, and I was waiting for it to be released before I bought the LR one instead, as it seems to be a really cool solution.

Its supposed to work with the Disco3 with an adapter, but Alpine don't seem to have launched the KCE-425i yet so their tech support line does not know much about the adapter required - which seems to be more than the interface from what I can tell.

Usually you just need to wait for Alpine to release the manual then you can find out about the unit, but no manual at the moment, so I assume no unit.

Anyone know any more? Question
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #3298817th Aug 2008 8:59 am
AndyViking

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well, someone seems to have got one to work on the MOST system - although the video is not the best, it still shows what we are after?

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/interfac...2975117649
 D3 - 2008.5MY HSE, Stornaway Grey, RSE etc - all the toys
Grabber AT3s, Smoked Sweeping Side Repeaters
D4 Steering Wheel with BBS boards
IID BT Tool - happy to help with fault codes 

Post #3401654th Sep 2008 9:41 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Well, they awful taste in music!

Seems to be this system:

http://www.stagemotion.com/index.php?Itemi...;task=view

Although, I am really unimpressed with the navigation, why would you want to use the keypad when the Alpine has a full screen interface, seems not right to me.

Anyone speak Spanish?

EDIT:
http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translate_u...temid%3d27

569 Euro, thats before the Alpine!

Post #3401894th Sep 2008 10:31 pm
sj1202

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi there, first post so here goes - realised a major ambition last Saturday and took delivery of 57 plate HSE. Just really wanted to echo the the original question on this thread, has anyone fitted the KCE-425i, if so how have you got on with it?

Many thanks

Scott

Post #41252431st Jan 2009 11:34 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Welcome to the mad house sj1202. Someone will have somewhere and be able to help! Thumbs Up

Post #4125431st Feb 2009 12:03 am
AndyViking

These units just literally arrived at the Alpine dealerships on Monday last week. I have had one on prospective order for some six plus months. The blurb says that it does all that we hoped - if you want to PM me I can send the pdf - its 3mb so won't upload (or rather I cannot figure out how to!)

Also, price wise it looks like a range of £640 to £800 fitted is in order - not cheap by any standards, but fully integrated into the existing system, all hidden away and just an ipod lead in the glove box.

I am going to try one in the local dealers in a few weeks (SWMBO permitting) so will update you then unless someone else beats me to it!

Post #4128331st Feb 2009 5:47 pm
mac.marty

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

AndyViking:

the pdf you have is the manual for the Alpine or an instruction on how to integrate into LR?

all

The integration into the most ring does only allow to use the remote to control the Alpine. A remote out to use the touch interface - as with Alpine screens - is not in the package. YES/NO ?

Martin

Post #4132202nd Feb 2009 12:03 am
AndyViking

Mac.marty - the pdf is the sales brochure.

In addition to the KCE425i, you also need the ICD interface for touchscreen which is about £380 on top of the £200 for the Alpine piece. This does away with the remote and integrates the unit into the sat nav screen (AFAIK)

Post #4132362nd Feb 2009 12:23 am
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

but from what I've found out in the past you get a keypad affair on the screen and press 8 to go up, 2 to go down etc.

My concern was how well you could scroll through say 200 albums without getting a numb thumb.

My guess is you may be better with a remote control, and an interface to just pull up another input on the screen, such as the ebay ones that are around.

Post #4132412nd Feb 2009 12:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
phurley

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Weird but I think the KCE-425i is made by NAV TV (edit: probably is the other way around Smile ). Check out these links:

These are the items offered by NAV TV (UK). Look at the picture of the VEHICLEDOCK for iPod
http://www.nav-tv.co.uk/category/7/69/131

Now, look at the Alpine KCE-425i
http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/index.php?id=1244

The interesting part is how it integrates. Alpine's vehicle application chart http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/home/support/vhub-charts/ has APF-M211RO as the interface part for the VehicleHub.

But the Spanish site (translated to english badly here http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?d...=Translate ) refers to APF-M950LR as the MOST bus interface unit. Also, indicates that TV and DVD are options with this interface unit.

(I edited this post heavily to reflect new information).

Post #4132722nd Feb 2009 1:31 am
mac.marty

I was falling over that Alpine - NAV TV looking alike as well...

and with remote vs. touch screen it all depends on the question: "when used with the touchscreen, does it have acceleration when scrolling?"

Also interesting to know would be, if any of the two interfaces allows access to genius to quickly generate matching playlists which would be the only thing I would allow myself to do from the driver seat.

And my final concern. Will it be possible to attach extra screens to the Alpine box. My prefered setup would be....

iPod -> Alpine -> 1) via MOST into the car system + 2) an Alpine screen for the back row - which has the full touch interface and can be uses seperately with headphones while the car system is playing radio/cd´s.

Martin

BTW - can anybody provide a doc that shows the position of the components that belong to the high audio option with premium navigation....

Post #4133292nd Feb 2009 9:34 am
AndyViking

Sturge

Looking back at the spec sheets, and it looks like a series of menus, sub-menus etc as you would get on any media centre. So you choose albums, artists, genres etc then titles, names, rock etc.

mac - not sure on the extra screens. Speak to Alpine I guess. If the RSE can work the existing system by IR remote, I would think that it would work the KCE unit. Again, it would seem logical that one user can operate the ipod, another the DVD, another the radio or CD. But since no one has fitted or tried one yet...

Post #4137102nd Feb 2009 6:14 pm
mac.marty

Yes i know, it´s not in one of our cars yet...but I am working on a solution....

When looking at that Apline pdf it looks like that adapter (APF-M211RO) will connect directly to in car system. On one page however I found a limitation to MY 04/05 when searching for that part no. on the net - so still not sure if a NAV TV generated "entrance" to the system would be better.

Somebody must be arround to tell us which way to go - he might not be on this forum - but we will find him !!!

Martin

Post #4138092nd Feb 2009 8:27 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Agree the unit looks great. Been waiting on one for a while, but cancelled it due to lack of budget!

However, I thought the touch screen integration looked pants (at least the spanish one) and one I spoke to some time back in Essex somewhere. They couldn't easily page down long lists of artists.

I have something like that at present on a pioneer unit in my TVR that is cr*p at going through long lists of albums. I Normally unplu the ipod, choose what I want then plug it back in. Not ideal....!

Post #4138102nd Feb 2009 8:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mac.marty

not living in the UK, can anybody explain why that Guernsey based company has a 20% lower price for the same NAV TV part (OPV-1LR) than Nav TV on their homepage. Is this all tax? If I ask for delivery in Germany no extra Tax is added. Will this end up at customs or is Guernsey full part of the EU and it would be delivered right to my door.

Also anybody ordered parts from them - is this a reliable source?

Martin

I am new here - don´t know if posting a link or company name is ok.

Post #4138382nd Feb 2009 9:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >