Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Shunt box for LED tail lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
javaD3

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Bob Z, Re: LED Modules
I have been down your path with the strobing trailer lights and also thought load resistors (or additional globes) would work with my D3 but no luck. Appently the D3 has quite a complex pulse train going to the trailer (different from other vehicles) and only a box of electronics that interrogates these pulses will work. Again the LED modules from www.linearelectonicdesign.com seem to work well in sorting all this out. Happy customer.
Java D3.
 Gotta love that Java Black.  
Post #50025727th Jul 2009 6:05 am
rmoraski

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
A few schematic questions

lawrie50 wrote:
If you check my gallery you will see the circuit that I came up with. Whatever you do you need to both stop the leds flashing unnecessarily and make the reversing sensor behave when backing with a trailer. My circuit does both and cost less than $30

First off, much thanks for posting it! I can't stomach the thought of spending $300 for $30 worth of parts.

Unfortunately, my electronic circuit skills are still in their infancy. I was hoping you might answer a few questions:

I couldn't find 15 ohm, 5 watt resistors (in fact, the IN4004s were the only bit I could 100% match). Will a single 10 ohm, 10 watt and 2 10's in series work in their stead? Or 2 or 3 10's in parallel?

The relays I could find have a nominal coil voltage of 12 volts, pick up voltage of 9 volts: will that work, or does the coil voltage need to be 9 volts?

Finally, wiring up the relay. If I'm interpreting (and guessing!) correctly, the lead from the cathode side of the IN4004 to the relay goes to one of the coil leads, while the other goes to ground; normally open goes to ground; normally closed goes to line out, and common goes to line in. Did I get that at all right?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Post #5038574th Aug 2009 10:45 pm
lawrie50

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Bob Z, the LR only checks the indicator lamps so there is nothing you need to do to parking or stop lights.

Rich,
I see you are situated in USA so of course where I obtained the components wouldn't be much help to you. My suggestion is to assemble what you have available and see if it works. You need only make up a single unit for one indicator side to try out what you have available. The resistors were chosen to give a 20W load to the vehicle which seemed to keep it happy. You will note that I used 5 watt resistors, this was mainly because that was what I could get and also the indicators are only on for 50% of the time so the average power would be 10W total. I have had this fitted for 18 months with no failure so it must have been a risk worth taking. Using 10 ohm resistors a single one would be 14.5 watts and possibly not enough to fool the car but its worth a try. Again the resistor would be underpowered but as I said of mine they are only operating for 50% so you won't have any trouble. If this doesn't work you could use two 10 ohm in parallel which will amount to 30W and perhaps put a bit of heat in your box but will most certainly fool the car. I suggest trying one resistor first and see if it works.
The relay has a single set of contacts to switch the voltage to the indicators and are normally open. The diode, capacitor and resistor are wired across the relay coil with one side connected to ground and the other coinnected to the incoming voltage by the other resistor. The two resistors and capacitor prevent the relay operating with the pulses and it will follow a genuine indicator operation with a short delay probably a millisecond, obviously not visible to the eye.
Let us know how you go. Cheers Lawrie
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #50762915th Aug 2009 9:41 am
rmoraski

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

I was hoping to give that a shot this weekend, but the fates weren't with me. I'll try next weekend and report back what I find. Thanks again!

Post #50823117th Aug 2009 12:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >