Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Shunt box for LED tail lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
90 Rangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 3
Shunt box for LED tail lights

How much and where in Australia can I buy a shunt box so that I can tow a van with LED tail lights?
I did hope that LR would have fixed this problem by now as mine is a MY8.5 but when you still need to alter the wiring to the trailer plug you could not expect them to fix the LED problem (and I call this a problem as most new vans are now fitting LED's and they are the way of the future).
I found this probem still exists when picking up my new caravan, had to go and buy and fit some normal tail lights so I could tow home (something not needed at the time)
 Do not take life too seriously no one gets out alive anyway!
MY 8.5 Izmir Blue HSE Disco 3, ARB Bullbar, IPF HID spot lights, GME TX3440 all in mic UHF, Tripple batteries (2 x Yellow top aux under bonnet), Prodigy brake control, tinted widows, ARB compressor (under bonnet), Prem sound, Prem Nav, Electronic steering column, Adaptive lights, Center fridge, Active diff, Hybrid TV, Side moulds. 

Post #3567238th Oct 2008 1:21 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

In one of the other Disco3 threads discussing "LED Lights", there was reference to the following web site for a solution: http://www.labtronx.com.au/page2.html I hope that helps as flashers aren't appreciated by the constabulatory. Whistle
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #3567268th Oct 2008 4:13 am
zebadee

Ireland 

I ordered up a unit from these guys www.linearelectronicdesign.com

Top notch unit & great to deal with Thumbs Up

Post #3567678th Oct 2008 8:56 am
Maddison

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3
re LED's on camper

I had mine fixed by a local auto electrician. He fitted solenoids in the wiring to each tail light. I think the solenoids had a capacitor of some type in them, no more problem. Total cost for memory was $50 or $60. If you need more info I can try and get that for you.
 Maya Gold June 05 Disco3 HDV6 HSE AT2 Tyres Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch  
Post #35774110th Oct 2008 11:13 am
lawrie50

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If you check my gallery you will see the circuit that I came up with. Whatever you do you need to both stop the leds flashing unnecessarily and make the reversing sensor behave when backing with a trailer. My circuit does both and cost less than $30
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #35829411th Oct 2008 10:03 am
Aedo

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just a thought - but shouldn't the D3 (and any vehicles with a tow bar) provide a standard output at the socket? And as such isn't it the responsibility of the trailer manufacturer to ensure that the trailer lights are operated by tjhe standard outputs???

Just IMHO of course... Confused

Post #36004915th Oct 2008 3:02 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Also - contact led[email protected] - Dave has a blackbox solution - plugs inline b/w trailer wiring and car.

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #36314522nd Oct 2008 4:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
javaD3

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
LED Module for D3 and trailers.

Hi 90 Rangie, I have also done some research on campatabilityof LED trailer lights with my new D3. I ordered a new Camper from Trakmaster and they mentioned I would require an LED module. I checked out some ideas on this forum. I then spoke to my local LR Dealer and they recommended www.linearelectronicdesign.com. I said I required an LED module that will work with our horse float that has a combination of incandescant and LED trailer lights. No problem. I also said I would like a module that would work with our friends Freelander 2. All Ok.
I found the guys at Linear Design very helpful and fast delivery. It was a bit more expensive but was well worth it. All sorted. Thumbs Up
 Gotta love that Java Black.  
Post #36461525th Oct 2008 9:22 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Merged
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #36462325th Oct 2008 9:36 am
wadarryl

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I have to agree with other Forum members regarding the Linear Electronics LED Module.
It works a treat, just plug and play. Very good service and fast postage.
My only dissapointment is that the car needs such an animal just to tow a van/trailer with LEDs!
My fate now rests in the WA Licensing Dept, to get my new Grant Tourer caravan licensed tomorrow so we can give it a try out over the long weekend.
Regards,
WADarryl.
 07 TDV6 S Lugano Teal, A Bar, LR Spotties,Cooper Discoverer ATRs, Remap, so far.  
Post #45769322nd Apr 2009 2:49 pm
gps-au

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

lawrie50 wrote:
If you check my gallery you will see the circuit that I came up with. Whatever you do you need to both stop the leds flashing unnecessarily and make the reversing sensor behave when backing with a trailer. My circuit does both and cost less than $30

Luv'd the circuit Laurie, for anyone building this there are a few mods you might want to try:

1) instead of the load resistors you could use globes.

2) you could also switch the load resistors/globes out of circuit with a dual pole switch if you want to fool the d3 so you can still select off road height with the trailer attached.

Personally I just cant see the price justification of both the "commercial" suppliers except the commercial aspect.

All parts for Lawrie50's solution should be easily obtained from Jaycar except the trailer plugs. A small breadboard would do the job.

Post #45807223rd Apr 2009 1:48 pm
lawrie50

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
2) you could also switch the load resistors/globes out of circuit with a dual pole switch if you want to fool the d3 so you can still select off road height with the trailer attached.

Haven't tried this but when we park up for lunch or when we are setting up the van at a CP I have no problem convincing it to go to off road height. Must try it on the move and see what happens.
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #45807923rd Apr 2009 2:10 pm
catweasel

gps-au wrote:
so you can still select off road height with the trailer attached.
eh Confused am I misunderstanding the post. you can go into offroad height with a trailer attatched it will just not do it automatically when an appropriate setting (rock crawl) is selected.  
Post #45809623rd Apr 2009 3:00 pm
gps-au

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

catweasel wrote:
gps-au wrote:
so you can still select off road height with the trailer attached.
eh Confused am I misunderstanding the post. you can go into offroad height with a trailer attatched it will just not do it automatically when an appropriate setting (rock crawl) is selected.

To be honest here, I haven't stuck the problem, as I have yet to make the box, (which I plan to in the next week or so). Currently my small trailer has flashing leds.

Which actually brings up a question... how many watt with globes is required (using globes) for the D3 to actually recognise a trailer is attached ?

I am currently thinking of a slightly different position for the box in the left rear quarter panel as a plug in direct to the vehicle harness with a switch in the top plastic or in the access panel itself. Now if I could find a 50A Anderson Plug designed for 90 degree panel mount the white trailer connector could be dispensed with, otherwise I am thinking of modifying it to have its feeds come from the second battery rather than the main and make a double plug loom double socket to trailer connector ( I would prefer to remove the white socket though) pending the suitable anderson approach (maybe just an "L" bracket would do).

Post #45811923rd Apr 2009 3:54 pm
bobzed57

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Hi lawrie50

I took delivery of a new D3 last week and will be towing a Kanga camper with LED tail lights.

I've just moved across to LR from owning a VW Touareg and the solution for pulsing was to put a resistor in parallel with all the trailer's LEDs. Worked fine with 6 Ohm, 50 Watt and I figured it would for the D3. I like your solution and will be making one myself as I am reluctant to shell out a few hundred dollars for something that should be simple to achieve.

I've trawled through all the posts on this problem both at this forum and the AULRO forum, and I'm not clear on what the D3 needs to see for a trailer to be detected. What's also not clear to me with your solution is, is there any requirement for shunt resistors on the parkers and brake LEDs? Are only the indicators effected by the pulsing?

Cheers

Bob Z

Post #49735019th Jul 2009 6:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >