Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Will I get my D3 back?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
P. Bianchi

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nickhearne wrote:

... if it was not for the other driver not being so senile then we would not have had to wait around for his relatives to be called in to fill out the forms!

This means the confused oldie wasn't killed after all, despite having impacted a twice-as-heavy D3 with the driver side of his small car.

If he was so confused as to enter a motorway the wrong side, it is no surprise that he wasn't able to fill the forms after an accident. Such accidents are often caused by drunken or doped drivers.

In Italy such mishaps are rare on the motorways since every exit has a pay toll station with lane separation from the very entering, but they do happen on the motorways surrounding big cities, where entrance is free.
 P. Bianchi, D3 TDV6 HSE - manual, nav 4x4 info, electric roof, rear diff, EGR blanked, EPB actuator changed 3rd times --> twirling balls, compressor twice, no longer MSV-2, Oltrepo' Pavese Hills, Pavia, Italy  
Post #4289317th Feb 2006 10:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Frightening story Nick, glad you are all OK.
I hope you all enjoyed your skiing?, I'll bet you didn't need to use the chains!
The car sounds like a Cat'C' or 'D' loss to me, I got the following from a salvage guy who was selling a Cat'C' td5, it might be useful:

The salvage categories are as follows:

•Category A. The vehicles under this category are extensively damaged vehicles such as those destroyed by fire, with no salvageable parts and vehicles which can never be re-registered to return to the road.

•Category B. Category B vehicles are vehicles which are extensively damaged but which do have some parts with value, these vehicles can also never be re-registered and returned to road use, or vehicles which require a complete new body shell.

Category C. Category C vehicles are vehicles where the repair cost exceeds the value of the vehicle, however the extent of the damage is such that the vehicle can be repaired by the use of recycled parts or by using other cost saving measures. With a category C vehicle the buyer needs to apply to the DVLA for a Vehicle Registration Document (VRD) what used to be called a ‘Log Book’

•Category D. Vehicles which fall within D category are vehicles where the cost of repair is less than the value of the vehicle, however for a number of reasons it may not be economically viable to repair the vehicle. This could be for a number of reasons, for example:
1. Vehicles replaced under ‘new for old’ schemes (often at 50% damage) these vehicles are treated as not economical to repair, when repair costs reach half the value of the vehicle.
2. Vehicles which could have been repaired but due to car hire costs the insurer has decided to deal with the claim as beyond economical repair.
3. Vehicles which an insurer has decided to deal with as beyond economical repair so as to avoid a diminution in value claim following repair.
4. Vehicles where the value of the salvage is such that the insurers feel it more appropriate to deal with a claim as a ‘constructive total loss’.
5. Occasionally an insurer will have a client who for a number of reasons is simply refusing to have the vehicle repaired and the insurer will attempt to obtain sufficient for the salvage so as to ‘bridge the gap’ between the value of the vehicle and the repair cost.
With a category D vehicle, the salvage dealer should supply a copy of the Vehicle Registration Document (Log Book)
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #4289617th Feb 2006 10:50 am
Kieron

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm with Direct Line and had cause for a claim a few years back (not my fault) and they were really bad and unhelpful to deal. But we dug in, let rip and eventually got someone to persoanally deal with the case at which point everything fell into place and we got a real good service, they couldn't have been more helpful. Don't settle for useless call centre people who don't give a fig about your situation because as soon as they pick up the next call you are forgotten. If you are not happy with the service then don't give in and demand to take things higher. We also got the RAC to do an independent survey on the car, costs a few hundred quid but well worth it and we got all the money back for that too in the end.

But as everyone says the main thing is you are OK, the car did its job in protecting you.
 I don't dance but I do Disco  
Post #4289817th Feb 2006 10:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

This means the confused oldie wasn't killed after all, despite having impacted a twice-as-heavy D3 with the driver side of his small car.
Yep I think if I had not managed to swerve out of his way we would have killed him!

If he was so confused as to enter a motorway the wrong side, it is no surprise that he wasn't able to fill the forms after an accident. Such accidents are often caused by drunken or doped drivers.

In Italy such mishaps are rare on the motorways since every exit has a pay toll station with lane separation from the very entering, but they do happen on the motorways surrounding big cities, where entrance is free.[/quote]
Yes if only we where not on a free section!
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #4291117th Feb 2006 12:48 pm
Nickhearne

Andy4467 wrote:
Frightening story Nick, glad you are all OK.
I hope you all enjoyed your skiing?, I'll bet you didn't need to use the chains!
The car sounds like a Cat'C' or 'D' loss to me, I got the following from a salvage guy who was selling a Cat'C' td5, it might be useful:

Thanks, great skiing, great holiday & no did not need the chains!
Thanks for the info!
Nick
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #4291217th Feb 2006 12:53 pm
Nickhearne

Kieron wrote:
I'm with Direct Line and had cause for a claim a few years back (not my fault) and they were really bad and unhelpful to deal. But we dug in, let rip and eventually got someone to persoanally deal with the case at which point everything fell into place and we got a real good service, they couldn't have been more helpful. Don't settle for useless call centre people who don't give a fig about your situation because as soon as they pick up the next call you are forgotten. If you are not happy with the service then don't give in and demand to take things higher. We also got the RAC to do an independent survey on the car, costs a few hundred quid but well worth it and we got all the money back for that too in the end.

Believe it or not but I had a similar accident 8 years ago then driving my wifes 3 week old car along a dual carriageway when a car came across the central reservation & hit us head on!
Insured with D.Line & no problems at all new car as it was a right off!
Lighting dose strike twice!
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #4291317th Feb 2006 12:59 pm
SN

Nickhearne wrote:
Lighting dose strike twice!
Lets pray that the 'Three Strikes And Your Out" rule does NOT apply in this case Wink Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4292217th Feb 2006 1:27 pm
Nickhearne

Up date, car is back in UK & they are going to fix it!!
It will be coming up from Dover in the next 2 days to be fixed at my local body shop. Can't believe how much I 'm missing it!
Driving a M reg Toyota corolla Embarassed
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #451922nd Mar 2006 11:59 am
al cope

England 

After hearing of stories like this (and I'm glad you & yours are OK Nick), I did a quick check on my NFU policy, and they will replace with new for old, any car insured by them thats under 2 years old, where the repair cost execeds more than 60% of its list price.

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #451952nd Mar 2006 12:30 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Glad that you are all O.K. Very nasty experience, especially in a foreign country. My French would not be up to coping with such a situation.
My Supercharged 5.7litre HSV R8 Clubsport was wriiten off in Dec. Norwich Union paid out farly quickly for the car, but the Police are probably going to prosecute the driver of the van that hit me. As such, the injury/compensation side of things is unlikely to be settled for some time as N-U cannot fully settle the claim until they have the Police file which the Police will not release until they close the case. So my £1000 excess & my full NCB remain in limbo.
I hope you get everything settled quickly & smoothly.
If you don't get a D3 as a loan car, you could try calling Bristol& London Accident Management on 01275 841111 who will supply you with a similar vehicle & recover the costs from the Insurance co. of the person that hit you. They have RR's, ML's, Cayenne's etc. & maybe D3's on their fleet.

Post #452022nd Mar 2006 1:52 pm
Nickhearne

So all I have to do is call Bristol & London Accident Management & they will supply a car & get back the cost back from the insurance?
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #452142nd Mar 2006 2:27 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've used them before & currently using their solicitors for my ongoing claim. Excellent co. to deal with.
As the accident was in France & the driver who's fault it was is presumably insured with a French co., I've no idea if they can recover the costs from French Insurers. Phone them & ask.

Post #452232nd Mar 2006 3:28 pm
Nickhearne

Thanks for the tip!

Up date, car has just gone past the shop window 3 times, driver must be lost! Now at local body shop opposite my shop.
Car dose look a bit sad! Crying or Very sad
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #452292nd Mar 2006 3:49 pm
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Some pictures? B4 and after style Nick?
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #452352nd Mar 2006 3:55 pm
LT

Nick, Let me know if Bristol & London will supply you with a car. Interested to know as I plan on driving in France in the D3 (if/when I get one!).

Post #452392nd Mar 2006 4:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >