Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Tekonsha primus 90155 break controller
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
terry_girgis

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi
I need some help .. i resently had a Tekonsha primus 90155 break controller installed in my Dico3 LR3 2005 .. but i have now been to 3 different Auto electricians who are all cursing landrover as they refuse to assist them in getting the wiring correctly installed. They are all consistent in telling me that in most cars it would be simple thing but the LR3 is presenting them with a challenge. Does anyone have a break controller installed on their LR3 ? if so do you have any advise or a wiring diagram i can use to get this thing installed ? how does it connect to the ECU which controls the Trailer light on the dash ? what does it mean if the trailer light flashes only some times and only once ?? are break lights supposed to come when the controller is activated ?? HEEEEEELP ! Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head

P.S we have tried the unit on a landcruiser and it worked fine so we know it is not the unit ...
 Regards
Terry G 

Post #4355929th Mar 2009 2:38 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I've moved your post into here Terry, break controllers are a rare thing in the UK but I know some of your fellow Antipodeans have them installed
 The End  
Post #4355959th Mar 2009 2:45 pm
terry_girgis

break controller

Thanks mate ...
 Regards
Terry G 

Post #4355979th Mar 2009 2:49 pm
jocurran

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Try this link
www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-zone/51521
-electric-trailer-brake-wired-photo.html
I think you will find all will be revealed. Also as I understand it it is the indicator circuit that activates the trailer light on the dah, not the brakes Very Happy
 2007 Zermatt Silver Td6 SE, ARB Front Bar & Safari Snorkel, Mitchell Bros Hitch, FrontRunner Roof Rack, Traxide Dual Battery Kit  
Post #4357939th Mar 2009 8:18 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Jo,
I think that your link is incomplate.

Try:
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-zone/51521-el...photo.html

I gave a copy of this to my autoelec when he fitted my Tekonsha brake controller. Works perfectly.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #43604310th Mar 2009 7:36 am
terry_girgis

THANK YOU ! THANK YOU! .....

I will pass this on to the Auto electrician ... will you guys know how i get on ....

Thanks again ...
 Regards
Terry G 

Post #43614710th Mar 2009 12:31 pm
catweasel

Bushwanderer wrote:
Works perfectly.
with the diode fitted I understood that the brake lights do not work on manual overide. THE DIODE IS NOT REQUIRED. there is a LR diag of how to wire up the brake controller, I would personaly ignore the instructions on AULRO as they are flawed. I do not have a diode and have had no issues and ALL aspects of the controller work as they should. I have posted this before but people must not be bothered.
Terry, tell those electricians that the D3 is no harder than any other vehicle if they think instead of working on auto pilot Wink

Post #43618010th Mar 2009 2:06 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi CW,
I'd be keen to see your instructions, if you'd care to post them. Thumbs Up

Would you speculate on what the autoelecs are doing wrong?

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #43650010th Mar 2009 11:46 pm
the_beeboo

Hi CW

you mentioned the instruction on the AULRO link are wrong ?? How are they wrong ?? What should the instructions say ?? can you post the LR3 diagram of how to wire up the brake controller or the link where this is posted ?? or perhaps your other instructions ??

I did in fact search this site for info but could not find your previous posting on this subject. Nonetheless, I am very grateful for your input...
 Regards
TerryG 

Post #43667111th Mar 2009 1:56 pm
catweasel

I said they were flawed

Post #43667211th Mar 2009 1:58 pm
the_beeboo

catweasel wrote:
I said they were flawed
Sorry mate ! How are they flawed ?? Regards
TerryG 

Post #43667511th Mar 2009 2:00 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I did wire mine up as Sniegy posted on AULRO and fitted the diode and as CW states the trailer brake lights do not work on the trailer when you manually override the brake pedal using the controller. If you take the diode out of the circuit then it will work correctly if you follow the post on AULRO. I did notice there is a more recent post on 25 Feb 09 and it mentions that the diode has been connected in a different location and the brake lights work on manual override.

So I think you can follow the original AULRO post by Sneigy but make the change with the diode position.

PS: I do respect CW's comments as he helped me out when I couldn't get my brake controller to work.
Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #43713212th Mar 2009 5:42 am
the_beeboo

Thanks mate !... i too respect CW's opinion ... That's why i his comments seriously and was keen to get his input on the AULRO .., CW i hope i did not present any thing other than that ?? if so apologies it was not intentional !

PCH wrote:
I did wire mine up as Sniegy posted on AULRO and fitted the diode and as CW states the trailer brake lights do not work on the trailer when you manually override the brake pedal using the controller. If you take the diode out of the circuit then it will work correctly if you follow the post on AULRO. I did notice there is a more recent post on 25 Feb 09 and it mentions that the diode has been connected in a different location and the brake lights work on manual override.

So I think you can follow the original AULRO post by Sneigy but make the change with the diode position.

PS: I do respect CW's comments as he helped me out when I couldn't get my brake controller to work.
Chris
 Regards
TerryG 

Post #43714812th Mar 2009 7:26 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Tekonsha Brake Controller

Had a Teckonsha Prodigy installed by Electric Brake soon after getting the Disco (about 18mths ago). No problems, apparently simple install - the only question was where to install it so it didn't get in the way of my wife's knee (she's vertically challenged and has the seat a long way forward.
Cheers.
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #43718012th Mar 2009 9:40 am
catweasel

I agree with Martin in that the installation is easy and the only integration with the D3 is with the wiring to the brake switch, the other wires are just a supply to the controller and a feed to the brake coils. whilst the wiring method from AULRO will operate the brakes it does not allow the brake lights to operate when manually overidden. whilst some people from previous threads seem ok with this I think it is wrong and could cause an accident on the highway and there is no need for them not to work. the following is what I have done and to date I have had no issues at all. I use the manual overide every time I hook up the camper to check its operation and also when changing surfaces to reset the required voltage and I also find it very useful on descents where it gives you more control and stops the trailer from shunting you down the slope.
here are LR's wiring diags from NA (for some reason we dont get the brake controller pre wired, another silly LR omission Rolling Eyes ) of the brake connector to which you can get a fly lead to the controller.

Click image to enlarge

the wiring that should be in your D3 and where I tapped into it

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

no diodes in the LR cct just this splice which occurs in the lighting cct

Click image to enlarge

the connecter found on yank D3's

this is where I spliced into the brake cct.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

to keep things neat I removed the fuse connector using this tool but anything similar will do
Click image to enlarge

I cut the wire off flush and reinserted the connector piece back into the fuse block should I need it in the future (and its out of the way) you need to move a tab back to remove the Brown wire and then solder it to the blue wire to connect the controller to the trailer brake cct.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

the only issue I can see is with the Generic Module D162 but no issues so far. that is what I have done. use the info if you wish

Post #43725712th Mar 2009 2:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >