Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Driver seat dropping whilst driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
748scratcher

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Driver seat dropping whilst driving

Hi, I have a 07 XS, My drivers seat keeps going down whilst driving, it has been into my local dealer Stratstone Hull, they have chocked the seat, replaced the seat base and it is still dropping, i've been in touch with LRCS and i m still waiting to see what they are going to do, they tell me that this is my fault as i am catching the handle when getting in and out,i have pointed out that when driving down the motorway i find it difficult to get out and get back in at 70 mph. Has anyone else had this problem? if so is it fixed?and what did they do!

Post #43637210th Mar 2009 8:58 pm
JPW

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi,

This is a common problem with a Technical Bulletin issued and loads of posts on this site.

Try http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic17419.h...t+dropping as a start.

Some people have had it fixed under warranty but I think others have had difficulties getting dealers to accept that it's a problem (and not caused by the handle being pressed when getting in and out).

I think the standard test is to leave the car at the dealers overnight with a weight on the seat and a wedge under the handle.

I hope this helps

Post #43638810th Mar 2009 9:17 pm
748scratcher

Hi, Had this done all ready, that's when they chocked it with a block of wood! They then replaced the seat base for a modifyed one, which is worse, Dealer has told me that there is a hybrid electric seat that can be fitted BUT LRCS denies this,and says that it is impossible for the seat to drop, just wondered if this seat exists, i have no reason to question what Stratstone says as i've had fantastic service from them over the last 4 years of owning Land Rovers, Just wondered if anyone had the same problem or if they have had this 'HYBRID' seat fitted

Post #43639510th Mar 2009 9:25 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Mine is booked in for this very problem. Going to Yeovil. Spoke to them today about it. But they have to put a weight on it and see what sags. I'm assuming that the weight will be representative of a fully grown male and not a super model.
It's not going in till the 18th but will keep you informed
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #43643610th Mar 2009 10:14 pm
748scratcher

Thanks Mark,

Mine's booked in on the 24th for a service, lets see what they say to you, if they fix yours i can tell them what to do!

Andy

Post #43644110th Mar 2009 10:18 pm
Windy Corner

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Mines booked in for a replacement "seat base" on monday as I had the same problem.

Theirs first line, was "your're moving the Lever when you get out", next was "we'll try the block of wood", then they had it in, agreed to replce the seat base under warranty (which was on back order)

Not sure which seat base, I assume its a replacement manual one.

Does anyone know if its just the mechanism they replace or the whole cushion assembly ??

Thanks
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6 Baltic Blue
Discovery 3 S TDV6 Zambezi Silver - Now gone........
Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response 

Post #43666511th Mar 2009 1:40 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

748scratcher wrote:
replaced the seat base and it is still dropping

Myself and several other guys in Spain have also had the seat replaced and most have found that the new seat lowers itself even faster than the original one Rolling Eyes

The following info is from the new Spanish D3 forum (hope it's ok to link to the below image Thumbs Up )

748scratcher wrote:
i have pointed out that when driving down the motorway i find it difficult to get out and get back in at 70 mph.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

748scratcher wrote:
Dealer has told me that there is a hybrid electric seat that can be fitted BUT LRCS denies this
Just wondered if anyone had the same problem or if they have had this 'HYBRID' seat fitted

It exists....just not officially. (Mine is due to go in for some 'special work' next week, but I already know what it involves Whistle

As far as we can make out, the TSB only covers replacing like-for-like the original seat base and assumes that the problem will go away.

There is a secret hybrid seat base (reference HAK500210SMS in Alpaca), but you cannot order it or buy it - it seems to be a special-build item from LR. The dealer must file an EPQR report asking LR for a solution (having already carried out the TSB unsuccessfully) and the new answer is to fit the hybrid base.

This is a link to a picture of the seat base from Dakota (username Rubén on disco3.co.uk):

http://www.discotr.es/gallery/image_page.p...age_id=110

Cheers,
Paul

(Mods/Martin: please feel free to edit post if necessary Thumbs Up )
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #43668611th Mar 2009 2:31 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Scratcher have you ever heard of one of these Whistle

Wink Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #43669011th Mar 2009 2:47 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

If you add a few coins or washers to the 2 spring assemblies under the seat (they just unclip with the seat at full height) it will sort the problem out. I posted some pics on one of the seat dropping threads a while back. The coins compress the spring enough to give them enough clout, which they clearly don't have as standard.
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #43674211th Mar 2009 4:54 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think the problem is a combination of 2 things.

I had my seat base replaced about a year ago as it was obviously dropping whilst driving, requiring several 'pump-ups' during a journey.

Since having the new seat base it no longer does this but I still have to pump it after getting in occasionally due to sitting on the lever! Shocked

It is obvious that I have sat on the lever as, due to the mechanism being stiffer, the lever no longer springs back up on it's own so the evidence was there!

Post #43675511th Mar 2009 5:43 pm
Grandad

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I also have this problem(sagging seat )investigated at the first service on my XS last week.They (Pillings Welwyn)said that the seat base need replacing ,However at the moment they are on back order and will call when the replacment comes in estimate 2-3 weeks .So there must be a problem we can't all be wrong.Or can we Question
Peter
 Just when I thought I knew all lifes answers they went and changed the bloody questions  
Post #43676611th Mar 2009 6:08 pm
748scratcher

I.ve had a call from LRCS today, Adam @ LRCS as told me that the HYBRID seat exists, BUT they won't fit it as it changes the spec of the car, making the warranty void!!! Whistle they are putting another seat base in on the 24th, this will be the second ! not holding much hope of a fix, last one was worse than the factory fitted one!

Post #43692711th Mar 2009 9:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >