Laughing Laughing Laughing

I suspect it is windows only...

Don't know too many mechanics running macs Wink
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #44457626th Mar 2009 12:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

There are USB-RS232 converters available which work OK under Parallels on OS X. I use one to talk to my Garmin GPS, so if you are prepared to run Parallels then you should be fine.

Andy
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #44458026th Mar 2009 12:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

BBS,

it looks good Thumbs Up , and a Thumbs Up Thumbs Up to wiggs for all his gadgetery wizardery and photos Thumbs Up

I am reasonably technical but kind of lost the plot a abit after about 30secs of reading wiggs post Embarassed

Is there any chance we could arrange a demo event so we can see the capabilities of the kit first hand. perhaps a demo day with some little sandwiches and warm white wine !!!!

Im certainly interested, but I'm sure I would be alot more interested if I could see it in action and have the confidence that I could use it properly Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #44460326th Mar 2009 12:50 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Great Topic

BBS this solution is obviously for LR products, I may have missed something elsewhere however can it be expanded to include VW's or does this require another unit.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #44467326th Mar 2009 3:13 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hold it - this is supposed to be Wiggs' review thread, not a "show off our business links" thread.

Post #44467526th Mar 2009 3:15 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

No Moose, we Specialize totally in Land Rover, although we did add Rover / MG as there was so much cross over.

If you want something for VW, there is an excellent tool called VAGCOM.

Great point martin i was starting to think that way too honest Embarassed and i do have a lot to get up to, where is that guy anyway. Question

Last edited by BBS SPY on 26th Mar 2009 3:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #44467626th Mar 2009 3:19 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Keep all BBS+BAS chat here please: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic32854.html

Post #44467826th Mar 2009 3:20 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks all for your kind words Thumbs Up

Would also like to say a big thanks Thumbs Up Thumbs Up to all who have PM'd me ..i have tryed to reply to all ..but in case i missed any one ..cheers

Evo8 ..hopefully have some time to mess again tommorow and will find the live data
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #44482426th Mar 2009 7:35 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

I have been de flowering my earlier posts in this thread, leaving just the requested facts, As it is, as Martin pointed out, a Wiggs review thread after all, however i noted some technical questions remained unanswered i thought i might better be able to answer.

Quote:
Would it be updated for the D4

If its all the same Ford specification technology it automatically works.

Quote:
is this mac compatible?

Windows only.

Quote:
possible to load an engine performance remap using this kit

i will leave all talk of remapping and flashing to this thread, http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic32854.html

Post #44515327th Mar 2009 1:22 pm
RPG

United Kingdom 

Wiggs - thanks for the great, informative and independent review on this! Keep playing!

BBS - I was going to post something earlier but didn't want to stoke any fires, but I've been reading your posts on here and following the development of Faultmate. I get the whole fault reader / fault clearing thing, but when we get down to editing CCF files and changing ECU configs I get a little bothered. I fully appreciate some peoples "what if I fry the ECU" questions, but I'm pretty technically minded and follow most of this stuff and am aware that in most circumstances that is a mute point. But there is something far more worrying that is not a mute point. Your product is "in-development". I don't have a problem with you marketing an in-development product. Microsoft have built a multi-billion dollar industry doing it. But because you are a relatively small outfit and you do this as much for the love as for the money you are not able to fully QA some things. The point: If I can change my vehicle setup, right down to warning lights, suspension and braking system setups etc, then can I change stuff I shouldn't? I know enough about this kind of technology to know that you can't just set all the switches to ON and expect everything to work. Stuff is designed into the mechanical and electrical systems that will conflict if enabled and by so doing you could inadvertently turn a safe, fun vehicle into a leathal killing machine. I know that is far from your intention but by enabling the ability for any D3 owner to purchase a box at a reasonable price that allows even the most non-mechanically or technically minded layperson to change settings they know very little about is inherently dangerous, don't you think? Don't get me wrong - if your box does half of what you claim I want one! But I want someone who understands the settings to set my car up for me. Perhaps the more advanced functions should only be licensed to qualified mechanics? I know - I'm a kill joy. Rather killjoy then kill people! I think the box is brilliant and your work on it similarly brilliant, but I'd rather see you build in some QA and price the CCF edit options higher, at very least, if not realeased under license, perhaps with training? There are new revenue streams for you to have here, as a business, so don't think I am suggesting you put the brakes on development. Don't! But please consider the full potential of what you are developing. This is the A-bomb of the D3 world. I'd like to see you post some new information on your website regarding the CCF editing functions. I know its new and in development and you probably don't have that information yet. But I'd like to see a list of exactly what settings you can edit and what the outcome of changing these settings is. I'd also like to see some information on what the interdependent, conflicting and complimentary settings are. Ideally I'd like to see software controls put in place that prevent users setting option combinations that could prove potentially dangerous. And you probably ought to have warnings and disclaimers all over the place! I don't think the Disco3 forum is the most appropriate place to post this information which is why I suggest you post it on your website. I also think you need to be carefull that you don't use the Disco3 community as your free crash-test dummies! Other then that I think it is brilliant kit and keep up the great work. I hope you find this constructive. I know this can get a little sensative on here! Maybe something to go think about rather then post a reply for now?
 Brain: We must prepare for tomorrow night.
Pinky: Why? What are we going to do tomorrow night?
Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky - trying to take over the world!
Singers: They're Dinky, They're Pinky and the Brain Brain Brain Brain Brain! 

Post #44589628th Mar 2009 6:26 pm
PTSchram

United States 

RPG:

I am the owner of a BBS Rovacom-Lite and a T-4 Handheld. I have worked for a franchised dealer and have operated the full-blown T-4. I also recently owned a DEC SuperScan II, but returned it to the vendor as the DEC was a ticking time bomb. The DEC, among other failures to perform as advertised, frightened me by completely corrupting the BCU data on a DII requiring the Rovacom-Lite to rescue me.

Any diagnostic device that allows the operator to make changes to systems has the capability to result in unwanted changes. In this case and so many others we might encounter in life, it is the responsibility of the person making the changes to know the theory of system operation and the impact of any changes made.

While I consider myself to be knowledgeable on Land Rovers and their computer systems, even after many years of daily work on Land Rovers, there is still significant trepidation when I do things like program BeCMs in P38 Range Rovers, again, in spite of my being considered to be competent in this task.

With regard to the FaultMate, I have had my Rovacom-Lite for more than five years, recently had the US Autologic representative demonstrate that unit. I have placed a pro-forma order for a new FaultMate!

Cheers,
PT Schram
 Wrench to wheel, wheel to wrench  
Post #44596128th Mar 2009 9:10 pm
RPG

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I have placed a pro-forma order for a new FaultMate!

I don't blame you! As I said, it sounds like a great bit of kit. This is Wiggs review thread so I'm not going to say more here except to say that not everyone is like you, Wiggs and a good many others on this forum. Some don't know where to draw the line.

Post #44598728th Mar 2009 9:51 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya RPG

You wasn't that guy that bought a Winnebago and went in the back to make a coffee after putting the cruise control on, because it did not say not to in the hand book by any chance Laughing

Seriously though, I understand your point / question, and after reading your previous post to this i can appreciate your current thought process even more.
Sadly, for some reason, you seem to be laboring under the mis conception that we are some kind of amateurs when it comes to the professionalism of our vehicle diagnostic equipment. I assure you that nothing could be further from the truth.
But don't just take my word for it, let me help you to figure it out for yourself.
I suggest that you to have another much closer look at the evidence presented right before your very eyes. In looking at the pictures of the page layouts, pay close attention to detail such as spelling, page layout tidiness, alignment of data fields, oddly wasted space, data that does not fit in boxes, ask yourself what may be missing and why, and look for any mixed use of lower and upper case lettering in listings etc.

But please promise me that if you find anything in our software's pages that is not totally 100%, please do let me know, we care just as much about our systems presentation as its functionality and capability.

Also in light of your concern, You should perhaps know that having been in the business of supplying equipment to many thousands of individuals, for many years. Including the very young and very old, male, female, those who struggle to switch things on, those who are too clever for their own good. Not one has ever done anything bad to their cars with our equipment, never broken them, toasted something, screwed things up up and certainly not made it into a death trap.

Also might i clarify that while the cost of buying one of our systems is 600-700 GBP ish
The actual cost of owning it is substantially less, perhaps more like 150-200 GBP ish.
How so ?
Well Wiggs has a system that we know costs 700 to buy, and he is doing everything he could ever wish for with it, Supposing next week, he offers it for sale here on the board at say GBP 500, i don't think he would have any trouble selling it, do you?
therefore the cost of him owning it was actually GBP 200.

I really hope i helped you RPG

warmest regards

Post #44599428th Mar 2009 10:11 pm
RPG

United Kingdom 

Hi BBS SPY,

I agree with all you say. Furthering this conversation is not for here, so PM sent!

Post #44599928th Mar 2009 10:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 22 <123 ... 202122>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >