Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Camper Trailers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mtb

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Camper Trailers

I am looking at an off-road camper trailer for our next excursion possibly to the Kimberly ( via Tanami and on to the Gibb river road) and have been looking into taking a camper trailer (hard floor) for the trip. Two adults and one eight year old.

I was wanting feedback from owners / users of hard floor units as to the pros and cons of the various brands.

Some of the brand i have researched include the Kimberly kamper, Aussie Swag, Australian Off Road Campers, Cape York Trailers, Ultimate, Tvan , Travelander and some others.

Are there any that come highly recommended? Are there any to keep away from? What to look for....

Has anyone found a good company to rent these units from? They are an expensive purchase and was thinking to rent initially before the trip to see how they go ....

thanks in advance .......

mtb
 HSE TDV6 Silver. Roof rails, Adaptive lights, electronic diff. Now its time to add a few extra bits..... Dual Battery setup, Rhino Roof Racks, UHF / VHF radio, ARB bar and winch, custom storage..by me ... Now trying some Grabber AT2's.  
Post #44661530th Mar 2009 3:06 am
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I have been looking alos, and went to the C&C show in Perth the other week.
I had a short list of what I wanted to look at, and they were;
Kimberly Kamper and Karavan
Tvan
Ultimate
and adventure campers.

Dollar for dollar, it was the adventure camper...

www.adventurecampers.com.au

that won hands down.
Don't know the budget, but at $43K for the GT model, vs near $60K for a Kamper Platinum, for finish, design practicality, then this is what I would want for the sort of trip you have planned.

For the flip style...if that's what you really, really want, then I would choose a Cub Spacevan.

http://www.cubcampers.com.au/item.php?item_label=models_c2_im2

Post #44662230th Mar 2009 5:28 am
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Here in WA there are a couple of places that rents camper trailers. I would be renting certain models before buying to make sure it is what I want.
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #44662730th Mar 2009 5:53 am
Pericles

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

We had a Kimberley Kamper (2002 model) and it was built like a truck with great suspension but had some annoying little features like not being able to replace some parts (like broken 240V inlet) unless you took half the camper apart. At that stage they also had the spare under the floor of the trailer which I hated but they now have add-ons that allow you to swing them off the rear. Limited space in basic camper. Bed is wide but not long enough for my 6' 3" frame.
Made in Ballina, on NSW East Coast, and made well but very expensive. They may have second-hand ones available for sale or hire. Worth a call? We sold ours for nearly as much as we paid for it so it was cheap camping for a couple of years.

Post #44662830th Mar 2009 6:18 am
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

We have an Ultimate which we purchased in Dec 2005 (at same time as the D3)

Last year we towed it for 17000 km across Aus over 16 weeks ( Simpson, Tanami, Kimberley, Gulf - see my gallery) - didn't sleep in another bed for the whole time.

So easy to tow. So easy to set up. So easy to live in.

Have also been to Goog's Track, Flinders Ranges, central NSW, numerous coastal spots.

Last month did the forum trip into Bendethera Valley.

Initially I was thinking T-Van or Bushtracker. Wouldn't change from Ultimate regardless of pricing, particularly as my wife thinks it is way better than anything else.

Next month we head off for about 10 weeks (weather dependent) into western NSW and SW Queensland.
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #44663430th Mar 2009 6:47 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

One of the lads from Oz had one of these trailers. I enquired about details when I saw the gallery shots.

Check this link: www.tracktrailer.com.au
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #44666330th Mar 2009 8:47 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The Sydney Caravan, Camping, 4WD and Holiday show is on soon - I suspect you will be able to see all the models you want there. Idea http://www.supershow.com.au/

Also - check out eBay - you can get a bargain from time to time.

Post #44668130th Mar 2009 9:30 am
Gabbs

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

We purchased an 06 Australian Off Road Campers Odyssey ZR second hand. Haven't done as many trips in it as we were hoping so far. We have 2 young kids (1 & 3) and can recommend the plumbed in hot water with shower - it makes everything very easy. It can use quite a bit of water though, so shorter trips unless you can top up regularly are the go - or just not use it. Setting up the main part to sleep in is simple, but the full annexe adds a good 20 minutes - much longer with 2 not so helpful kids. Overall we are very happy.
Happy choosing.
Ian
 '07 TDV6 S with Pedders HD springs (40mm lift), cargo barrier, reversing camera, Prodigy brake controller  
Post #44670730th Mar 2009 10:26 am
Zilch

Australia 
Re: Camper Trailers

mtb wrote:
Has anyone found a good company to rent these units from? They are an expensive purchase and was thinking to rent initially before the trip to see how they go ....

thanks in advance .......

mtb

I enquired locally about a off-road camper with a local company in Hornsby, called Nortrail Campers

http://www.nortrail.com.au/

being reasonably local you could pop up there, website gives some good info

Thanks

Jim
 another Pommie from the darkside

MY20 Defender P400 SE
MY103 RR Sport TDv6 

Post #44672630th Mar 2009 10:44 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

4WD Action has a review on camper trailers this month and Caravan Camping and 4Wd show at Rosehill as suggested is certainly the place to look.
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #44673530th Mar 2009 11:05 am
John58

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

We have an Australian Off Road Odyssey Export Signature, purchased May 2008. We love it Very Happy It tows like it's not there most of the time - have to keep checking the mirrors to make sure it's still there. Although full tanks do make a difference - with front and rear water tanks full it will hold 223 litres (a shade under a quarter of a tonne) but that should keep 2 people going for at least 5 days unless you want to do something silly like have a shower. Haven't dragged it up the Snowy Mountains (yet!) but tootling out around western Qld we get around 10l/100km or a little better depending on the right foot. The first trip we did in it we copped 8" of rain in 3 days, but we had the full annexe up and were dry and comfortable. The bed is great - a full queen size inner spring mattress with about 100mm extra space down each side for books, wallets, bits & pieces. I'm 6'4" (193cm) and 90kg with arthritic hips so I'm a pretty good judge of beds Shocked Suspension is bullet proof - full independant coil sprung with humungous Pedders shockers. They even supply a spares kit with spare wheel bearings and a spare shocker!! If you go to see the manufacturers, Steve and Rhonda, at their Caloundra factory they will show you through so you can see how they are made - it's very impressive. The attention to detail is fantastic. The downside is that they are expensive - especially the Export Signature model. But then we plan to live in it for a couple of years.
 White S TDV6 auto. Air Suspension. Active Rear Diff. ARB bullbar. IPF spotlights. GME TX3440 UHF radio. Autosafe Cargo Barrier. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch. AT35 coupling. AORC Quantum van.  
Post #44677730th Mar 2009 12:42 pm
catweasel

I wanted a Tvan initially as it has the best suspension bar none but its size and one or two other features were why we did not choose it in the end. hiring one is probably your best bet and I think IanV hired one last year so give him a PM. also as suggested go to the shows and get them to demonstrate how it unpacks and packs up and generally you will not use the full annexe so this can be a cost saving.

Post #44680530th Mar 2009 1:23 pm
Big Kev

Australia 

Big Kev here, I have aTravelander and have found it to a great unit I have air bag suspension which has been handy as you can adjust to suit road conditions and to level when setting up camp. It also has a hot water and shower unit which makes long dusty trips more comfortable. I recently took it along totheBendethra trip with the other forum members and was impressed with how it and the Ultimate handle the trip out on the Dampier Fire Trail,lucky we both had aD3.Ihope this helps

Post #44721931st Mar 2009 12:42 am
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi Kev

Bendethera was a really good weekend, with the trip out (towing our trailers) through Dampier fire trail a real eye opener. How did your biking in the snowy go?

Haven't seen you on the forum recently. Any trips planned?

We are getting organised for our 10 weeker up to Birdsville and the Diamantina areas - however think we will have to delay due to the wet or go to plan B (perhaps the Cape)
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #44722431st Mar 2009 2:15 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

The cape is a great trip.
 Pete  
Post #44722731st Mar 2009 2:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >