Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Review of Dukeld 1/2 Day in 09 D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Review of Dukeld 1/2 Day in 09 D3

On Monday I did a 1/2 Day session at LRE Scotland in Dunkeld, Perthshire. It's pretty easy to get to but watch out for roadworks on the A9 between Perth and Dunkeld - had me stationary for about 20 minutes. However you can exit the A9 at Luncarty (before the roadworks) and follow the B9099 until you get to a Church at Caputh, then turn left on to the A984 (called Boat Road once you reach Dunkeld) and follow it all the way in to Dunkeld - avoiding the traffic which can be 40-60 minutes stationary when busy. I took this route on the way back down.

I did the full 3 hours on the off-road site (rather than a 50 minute on-road session which is the usual procedure on the half days). The instructor (Andrew Penny) was calm and collected [even when slipping perilously close to rocks and tilting beyond comfort on the side slope) and taught me a few things I didn't know about the D3. He took me on a route which was different to the standard 1/2 day course, encompassing the rock crawl, sand pit and steep descent through the trees (evoking memories of our near-miss with a tree in Tong).

It was fascinating to compare the 09MY HSE to our comparatively aged '54 original. The biggest differences I noticed were that the interior (with piano black trim and rouched leather) was more elegant and smart whilst the new 19" alloys and painted bumpers makes it look much more upmarket. A pleasant bonus if you're buying a new one but not the kind of material to warrant an upgrade when our '54 still does the job we bought it for (beautifully).

It was the first time I've had to left-foot brake which was challenging at first (a few heads through the windscreen) but I was surpisingly able after a bit of practise. The technique is to treat it like a clutch - press softly when pressing the brake as if finding a bite. The rock crawl was tense (the wheels were excessively muddy and kept slipping from the desired position) but following some very gentle wheel nudges and throttle touches I made it through unscathed.

All in all I'd highly recommend the venue (they own a 280 acre site and have exclusive access to over 5000 acres of local wild highland estates such as Blair Atholl. It's got every kind of off-road challenge you could hope for the scenery in some parts is just breathtaking. The staff are friendly and helpful and ensure you have a good day.

Some photos below - the rest are in my gallery and an external PB album (link in my gallery).

2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #45218010th Apr 2009 1:15 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The protection plate in the last shot, is that the O/E part ?

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #45218210th Apr 2009 1:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MikeT

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Looks like it was a great day.

What didn't you know about the D3, that you learned?

I visited the Skipton experience, and the instructor had a trick for putting the vehicle into extended mode, although I haven't been able to replicate it !

Post #45218710th Apr 2009 1:39 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Has been a while since I've been to LRE Dunkeld! They seem to be making a pigs ear or the A9 roadworks, god help us when they start dualling it, though that's not likely in my life-time!

Post #45218910th Apr 2009 1:49 pm
ayrshiredisco

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

shiny moose wrote:
The protection plate in the last shot, is that the O/E part ?

O/E part? its a winch type mantec
 If in doubt............flat out.

Buck blue with mantec, abar, roolights and some of uncle rays finest
club blanked egr's
dark silver mini cooper s 

Post #45221010th Apr 2009 2:41 pm
nealgs

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm off to do the Skipton experience for a half-day on the 23rd Smile only the 2nd time been off-roading, ever (even though had landrovers for over 8 yrs - lol Embarassed

Gary
 Gone: Java Black TDV6, Auto, HSE - yum, yum Smile
(Gone: 96' V8 ES Charleston Green, 96 V8 ES Black)
Toy: Southern Roadcraft Cobra, 383ci Chevy V8

Club - HiVis Smile
Club - Disco3.co.uk Round Stickers
Club - Disco3.co.uk External Badge 

Post #45240210th Apr 2009 9:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >