Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Creaks in the Dashboard
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
SN

...and WD40 would stink the cabin out! Laughing Seriously I have some odourless silicone lubricant I bought for a juddery electric window on my 806 three years ago which might do the job.
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4678410th Mar 2006 3:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Still got to find the source first. Might just stick masking tape across it all to shut it up completely... then slowly release it bit-by-bit until I dares to make a noise... failing that both barrels and it's quiet for life!

Off Topic

Spangles..... discuss!
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #4679010th Mar 2006 4:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davesimmons

Canada 
creaks in the dashboard

Mine does it too, but only when the heater starts to get upto temp

Post #4681110th Mar 2006 6:32 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Mine's got a noisy dash too...
very noticeable at about 50mph, when the car's warm.
There's a sort of metallic clicky-poppy sort of sound - almost like a relay cycing on/off.
Does this ring any bells with anyone? - Its incredibly annoying, but I'm reluctant to allow the dealer to start pulling things apart at random, for fear of creating even more creaks and rattles!

Dave
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #4701212th Mar 2006 12:49 am
Vectis

England 

My last car was a 2003 range rover TD6 and that had a creaking dash, it went in about 12 times but was never sorted, it was worse in the winter when the plastic was cold and also when the air con was on, it did quieten down after about an hours running but as most of my trips were under that it was annoying. i found that after a while I didn't take any notice of it but now and then it really got on my nerves, the only good point was I didn't have to wash the car for over a year. Apparently this was a problem that Landrover new about but their fix never worked for me.

Post #4708012th Mar 2006 1:09 pm
Mossy

It’s like the proverbial Chinese water torture – I actually drive now with the radio turned down on the off chance I can locate the source. It’s driving me mad Confused (NB we have no standard against which this might be judged). As a few of you have said, it does seem to increase / decrease with temperature and the Air Con SETTING.

I have even wedged a few wooden toothpicks (sorry qzdcg8, no wooden lolly sticks) in the gaps (and no photos available!!) and still it creaks.

Every damn pothole [creak], cats-eye [creak], stone [creak]… I turn left [creak], I turn right [creak]…. I brake [creak], accelerate [creak]… pump the suspension up [creak], and let it drop down [creak]….

“And a North West man today was arrested for helping police with enquiries after a disturbance at the side of the road…. witnesses say they saw the man swearing and beating a car with a baseball bat screaming ‘Stop creaking or die……’”

Mad
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #4709312th Mar 2006 3:42 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mossy, I've had exactly the same with mine, almost drove me Basil as well! I found that (after taking apart the whole of the centre front console, radio, heater control, sat-nav screen, etc...) that my squeak was actually coming from the joint underneath the bits and pieces tray underneath the ashtray. If you take the rubber bit out of it and then push down hard you may be able to re-create it,

Malcolm
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #4709912th Mar 2006 3:53 pm
Mossy

I'll try anything, really I will. It does drive you potty and I am so glad I'm not alone. I think it's the fact that you can't pin-point it. I can live with squeaky brakes... it's my brakes.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #4710012th Mar 2006 3:58 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

after I found the squeak to be there, I took it into the dealer and asked them to take the centre console out and re-fit it and now it's (mostly) cured! now if only I could get my steering knock cured..... Smile
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #4710112th Mar 2006 4:14 pm
Mossy

My main dashboard plastic popped up today (the bit above the steering wheel and which forms the bottom frame of the main instrument section). It was held down with double sided sticky pads. Looks like it's the original sticky pad recycled as I can see the outline print from where it was placed orignally.

Not the source of the creaky noise, but can I assume these little pads are all over the main entertainment console plastic? If so, I am gonna take a wild guess that the dash wasnt allowed to settle when refitted and that its slight distorted but held tight wrongly by these sticky pads?

Clutching at straws I know, but it gives me hope and optimism and restores some sanity to my nervous twitching.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #4723113th Mar 2006 2:53 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think this is the case with the head lining too.

I've had an annoying rattle right where the light cluster and alarm sensor is. You push here and rattle goes... drive over slightly bumpy road (and I mean just a tough main road nit a green lane) and its starts again.

Sounds almost like something is sticking and unsticking rather than a loose piece of trim or creaking.

-s

Post #4724913th Mar 2006 4:14 pm
Mossy

Just thought I would update this thread. Car was in dealership last week having some work done on the infotainment unit (and replacement headlight units), which involved them having to pull the dashboard out - again!

I noticed this morning that the creak(s) are noticeably reduced so can only suspect that the dash has a natural settling point and any tension in the plastic causes the noise. It is a relief I can tell you! Hope it's permanent and not temperature-related as some of you have found...I know these things have a habit of returning....

qzdcg8… you can have your lolly sticks back then. Laughing
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #4882120th Mar 2006 4:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >