Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Knock knock, front end
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
basbog

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Knock knock, front end

Just about out of 3 mths used car warranty, so took the disco for an off road workout to make sure everything did what it is suppose to do, only one problem, the front end on a rocky surface around 10 kph is knocking enough to hear it, and at times comes through the steering wheel as feel.
Thanks for any advice

Post #46803316th May 2009 9:13 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you were in off-road height that knocking is normal but in normal height I'd be thinking something is wrong.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #46803716th May 2009 9:33 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There is a TSB, probabley this one:

Models: LA - Discovery 3
LS - Range Rover Sport
Title: FAQ 22241 - Steering light knock over bumps.
Engineer Name: Townsend, Ken
Last Modified: 24-APR-06
Category: Chassis
Symptom: 303000 Steering/Handling
Content: User will report light knock over bumps. Some will show slight free play in steering.
Cause is LOWER steering shaft (Under bonnet) NOT the steering rack.
With vehicle static engine off check for free play in steering aprox +/- 3 degrees, with gentle input.
Also some vehicles may exhibit a light knock on uneven surfaces between 10 to 15 mph.
If the shaft is the cause please use new part number QMN500240 (RHD) or QMN500250 (LHD) to repair as this has improved characteristics for noise. Part was introduced to production at L319 - LA390436
L320 - LS956379. If shaft does not resolve knocking noise please submit an EPQR and contact dealer technical support.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #46803916th May 2009 9:38 am
basbog

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Thank You oh wise ones Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #46804416th May 2009 10:10 am
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Caver...where do you get this stuff from??? Question

When I've identified issues with the dealer (in Perth) he fiens a "I don't/ didn't know about that..."

I've had no real issues with my Disco (3 years and 65K) and would buy another without hesitation, but finding decent service on this side is difficult.

Black Peth..you have a PM

Post #46806916th May 2009 11:43 am
caverD3

Do a search on the forum, if you do "steering knock" and TSB you will find it.
This forum is a wealth of knowedge. Thumbs Up
Being for-armed with the dealer is the best way to get things done.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #46808316th May 2009 12:22 pm
Disco Driver

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

i've got the same issue and have been told by my local LR dealer that they "found play in the steering tie rod ends and lower arm bushes need to be replaced".... Confused

I asked whether the knocking would stop after the repair and they couldn't assure me of this but said it would be a start Shocked

I'm wanting to seek a second opinion..... Just don't know where to go in the A.C.T.

Last edited by Disco Driver on 27th May 2009 11:12 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #46810516th May 2009 1:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Swampy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have had a similar knock in the front end, with the steering box and just recently the control arm ball joints being replaced to no avail. However less than 600 Km after the ball joint job and while driving in suburbia there was a bang fron under the car and we came to a halt. Vehicle trucked to a Sydney dealer and they reported that the "nearside front drive shaft had failed". Out of warranty as well.
When I went to pick up the car after repair I dscussed the steering knock with the dealers Service Manager and mentioned the TSB I had copied from CaverD3's info on this thread. He would not even look at it and said that this was not an LR site and there was nothing of value on this D3 site. I said I knew it wasn't an official LR site but it might be worth having a look at it as it may help with my problem. His manner was quite abrupt and dismissive and so now I am looking for a new dealer for my servicing requirements and my new Disco purchase. Any comments on Sydney dealers would be appreciated.

Post #47261227th May 2009 9:54 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Could be the lower control arms, mine are
stuffed at 68k km
 Pete  
Post #47262027th May 2009 10:22 am
caverD3

Dealer sounds like a nob. Rolling Eyes
Make sure you tell the dealer principal why you are taking your business.
Irrespective of where the info comes from they should have looked up the TSB.
Alto have been good to me, listen to info from this site and are enthusiastic about the brand. Speak to Gary in LR sevice. Wink
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #47262127th May 2009 10:27 am
DiscoJools

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've had everything (I think!) replaced on the front end of my 05 D3 to get rid of the knocking.This included lower steering column, steering rack twice, lower balljoints including both arms but they couldn't find any play in the antirollbar bushes. The dealer even did some of it well out of warranty free of charge to keep me happy. While the noise is reduced it's still there never the less..
A couple of mates of mine (they use the forum too) have 08 models that they offroad frequently and haven't reported this knocking noise so I suppose that problem has been fixed on later models.. I do however notice that a new steering rack and suspension mods are part of the D4 upgrade so that says something.
 2.7 D4 eDiff, Traxide Dual battery, Safari Snorkel...Opposite Lock winch bar..extra set 17" wheels with 245/70/17 BFG KM2 MTs..Warrior winch..Long range tank.
1982 2dr RRC renovated.
1983 Range Rover 2dr fitted with 300Tdi (with bigger turbo), 40mm body lift, Warn 9000i winch and BFG MT 265/75/16. Rear Maxidrive locker
1976 Landcruiser BJ40 with tipper body for the farm!! 

Post #47265127th May 2009 11:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Knock Knock

Hi CaverD3.
Does the TSB apply to later models. I'm just starting to get a little bit off the noise people are reporting here - at 30,000Kms in MY08 model. At last service I reported it to the dealer and they "inspected', 'tightened (I think) lower control arms' and put grease on the end of the steering bump stops. Seemed to stop th clunking for a while but it's now coming back - no worse and not particularly bad. It's only apparent in certain conditions (normal height, over a bump with wheels off centre), so I'm tempted to just wait until it (presumably) gets worse. Your thoughts?
Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #47267127th May 2009 12:28 pm
caverD3

There is a VIN range for the original TSB. I would think later builds would have new parts.
I had a clumking noise recently. I thought it might be a broken body mount (clean ares around the wsher over the front right bush). Alto looked, bush was OK but tightened everything., clunk gone. I think the D3 is so qiet that you notice odd noises, also i think they get a ponding in Oz and need tightening at each service. I think it is part of the 'arduous' shedule anyway.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #47267727th May 2009 12:38 pm
caverD3

Just re-read your post. off centre over bumps is what happpened to mine when the lower control arm bushes went. If you lift the vehicle at the front and let the wheels drop you can feel movement when you pull the control arm sideways.
You should be under warranty, ask for the new part number for the control arm, but LR don't like giving it as a warranty item.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #47268227th May 2009 12:42 pm
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Knock Knock

Thanks CaverD3.

Fortunately still another 1.5yrs warantee, so no great issue. Yes, it certainly takes a pounding.About 20,000 of my Km's have been towing camper trailer and quite a lot of that in arduous conditions (how did I manage that much time off work:).

Cheers.
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #47269827th May 2009 1:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >