DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Hi Line to Premium / Logic 7 How To.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Hi Line to Premium / Logic 7 How To.

I have recently undertaken to upgrade my D3 from Low Line to Hi Line audio, however I am taking this one step further to also upgrade my new Hi Line to Premium Audio / AKA Logic 7 (14 speakers) and seeing a post from a newbie wanting to go from Hi Line to Logic 7, I think, depending on the amount of effort or skill level one has, or is able / willing to employ, and access to suitable diagnostic equipment, it is now actually possible to do this mod. As such, although i appreciate that the steps, stages and so fourth might be beyond many less adventurous types, i still thought it would be interesting for me to share the details of what is required as a "How to".

I mentioned the skill level requirement so i will start by detailing what i mean.
Bar the general ability to work on the vehicle electrics and wiring, inserting pins and changing bits etc, the biggest requirement is the ability to solder / graft new or used pins onto wires, If you can't do this, a good auto electricians should be able to help.

Next i will cover the list new / additional hardware you are going to need.

First you are going to need some of the various connector pins.
You can source the pins from a breaker / salvage job, (i used an old scrap donor loom)
You only need 4 of one type, 4 of another and six of another, also optionally 2 of another.
I will edit this post to add a photo of the 3 types in a day or two,
The nice thing is that the pins are used in many different connectors. To get them out, you simply remove the locking plate on the connectors (typically just unclips) then you use a strong pointy pin or small watch makers screw driver to push and hold back the plastic retaining barb for each pin and then pull on the wire to back the pin out. Bit tricky, requiring good light and 3 hands, but otherwise quite do able. Thumbs Up

Second is the AUD4 12 channel Logic 7 AMP (incidentally, stupid though it sounds 1 channel is unused Shocked )
The AMP is actually the only bit i am missing for my conversion, so if anyone knows of one, please feel free to let me know) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
These are quite expensive new at about 300 GBP, but second hand about 100 is the going rate. Be warned they all look the same, it needs to say Logic 7 on it.

Third is you will need to replace your main (largest) front door speakers with dedicated bass ones. These do not cost a lot new about 20 GBP each. Don't go third party as the mounts and connectors are custom.

Fourth is that you will need to get front door looms for premium. Again not too bad new at about 30 GBP each.

Fifth is that you will need to replace the upper "D" pillar trims with those that have speaker grilles. About 20 GBP each new. You could possibly third party this fitting your own speaker grilles bur you would have to check the rear clearance for the speakers then.

Sixth and last is that you will need 3 mid range speakers, all the same item, and about 30 GBP new.
Two of these will go in the "D" pillars and the last in the dash centre. There is also a mounting ring / gasket for the centre one which is a few GBP more. I personally intend to use third party items for the "D" pillar speakers and OEM for the centre as it simplifies connectivity at the speaker ends.

You will of course also require some speaker wire, which can be off the shelf stuff with about a 1.5mm conductor cross section.

Once you have all the bits, then its on to the actual installation Rolling Eyes
There are 3 distinct parts to this, the front doors, the "D" pillars and the dash centre speaker.
In all cases i think it is easier to put the Amp side pins on first, and start routing all cables from the amp to their destinations. You also need to consult the Logic 7 wiring diagram to put the pins in the right holes of the relevant connectors.

Both front doors.
The pins you need to fit are the same ones used for all existing speakers in the larger green block of the Amp
Strangely you need to move the existing front door pairs over (now becoming the mid / high) and fit the new bass pair in their place. route the wires to the front door connectors, add the pins and insert them in the holes indicated by the wiring diagram for the Logic 7 bass pair. Keep a track on the polarity of the pair. In the doors replace the large speaker for the new bass one and replace the wiring for the Premium versions.

"D" Pillars
In the block next to the green one in the Amp which uses different pins (4 of the 6) you need to add 2 pairs for the rear surround speakers. Route the wires to the "D" pillars and install the speakers and new covers. If you use 3rd party speakers connection should be straight forward, if you go for OEM you will need the connectors which you can cut of your redundant front door looms.

Centre speaker
Fortunately the wiring for the centre speaker seems to be present in the standard Hi Ice Facia loom, as such fitting and connecting the OEM speaker is quite easy. The pair of wires from this speaker terminate at a light green connector in the drivers side kick panel , the wires are easy to spot as speaker wires are always a dark green and dark green with white stripe twisted pair. You then run a pair of wires from the same block you put the surround speakers to at the Amp, using the remaining 2 of 6 pins and optionally, put pins in the mating light green connector or just by pass the connector and use something like bullet connectors to get them on the Facia pair.

Diagnostic changes.
AFAIK, the only change would be to edit the vehicles CCF and change the AMP type from AUD2C to AUD4, which i can confirm as the case when i have replaced my own wiring loom and AMP.

As i said before, this is definitely not something for the faint hearted, and perhaps it seems easier to me as i am already undertaking something that is widely regarded as impossible anyway, have much of what is needed readily to hand and i have managed to acquire most of what i need otherwise.

Post #48018311th Jun 2009 10:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

You lost me at the point where you said "I have recently undertaken" Rolling with laughter
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #48022611th Jun 2009 11:28 pm
morrisdl

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Yikes. A bit more than I had hoped, but sounds doable. Thanks for the write up. there was a 12 channel amp on the US-ebay last week. Went unsold at $200usd. Any thoughts on if this could be done in stages like:

Phase one: Install amp, move pins for existing speakers, and add d-pillar speakers.
Phase two: add new door speakers, add wiring
Phase three: add center channel

or is at all silence once its started until completed? I could see taking some time to get this done.

Post #48153715th Jun 2009 4:36 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

I have actually staged mine due to the lack of my actually not having a Logic 7 Amp yet, although after today and huge thanks to Mat TDV6's help Bow down i finally have one on its way to me. I can't wait.
I have wired up the additional pairs to the two front door connectors and replaced the standard large speakers for the premium bass ones and door panels for the Premium ones, although i have not swapped out the door wiring which means only the bass and tweeters are connected. I fitted the rear D pillar covers with speakers and wired them up and have wired up the front centre dash speaker, although i have not fitted the actual speaker there yet. I also changed the rear door panels and main speakers. And of course i have fitted a Hi Line Amp.

All the additional wires are left free at the Amp end with the pins on ready to be inserted when the Logic 7 Amp comes.

I was amazed to discover that the D pillar trims actually come with speakers.
This has saved me from having to go third party on them and bought the cost down.

Post #48920930th Jun 2009 6:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
morrisdl

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Great progress!

Im surprised to read (or misread) that you needed new front door panels. I thought the front door panels are scored for the additional cutouts...

Good news about the rear piller trim/ speaker combos.

You dont happen to have part numbers for the d-pillar trim or the fron door speakers do you?

Thanks, -Doug

Post #4896361st Jul 2009 1:48 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

morrisdl wrote:
I thought the front door panels are scored for the additional cutouts...

I seem to remember that the mid-range speaker grilles and 'silver rings' are not available separately - you have to buy the whole panel to get them Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #4896411st Jul 2009 1:52 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

There are some marks on the base & high line spec panels but as Paul says its a bit more involved than making a hole where x marks the spot.

In my case i had purchased a second hand set of door panels so i had the uprated tweeters and mids with grilles already, i am not sure if these are already on the door panels if you buy them new.
Front door premium bass units are XQM500300
rears XQM500530
Rear D covers with speakers varies according to if you have 5 or 7 seats and year.
7 Seats have holes for seat belts Very Happy dunno why the year is different though, color is always mist grey.

Post #4897961st Jul 2009 7:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >