Off Roading charity event
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Off Roading charity event

Hiya All

Here in Cyprus there is a small Land Rover Owners Club which i joined earlier this year and attended a 4x4 half day charity drive event. I was the only D3 there and given that everyone else seemd to have heavily modified defenders with winches, RAI's and the usual Knobbly tyres, there was initially a lot of smirking and pointing, especially at my bog standard 17 inch road tyres, i did naturally feel a bit out of place, however the D3 did me very proud through the whole day, proving its immense superiority in all situations, and at the end of day BBQ, there was a very warm element of acceptance and inclusion.

So recently i was asked if i would like to participate in a special fund raising event for charity, where a dozen or so obsticles were created on a circuit which we would take members of the public as passengers around. Naturally i accepted, However still feeling a little concerned as i as yet have not invested in some more serious rubber, i decided to take one of my oldest mates along, both for support, and because he has a rather unique Land Rover based vehicle he built especially to bring to Cyprus that the Authourities here have as yet not allowed him to register and use. Damned Red tape.

So i used my contacts to get him the loan of some Trade plates so he could bring and use it for at least the day. In any event i knew it would be an eye catcher and would server the charitable purporse of the events aims well.

So with no more ado, on to some photos from the day, starting with my Mates afore mentioned special.
Click image to enlarge

Some may recognise it, its a Dakar conversion using all the running gear from a V8 Discovery 1
It was nice and clean till he let me have a go, and i got it a bit dirty for him Laughing

Here it is next to my so far nice and clean D3,
Click image to enlarge

The eagle eyed amongst you might spot i have already diagnostically lifted my D3 up a bit more than normal before venturing onto the circuit. Well some of the holes were a bit deep and even the Dakar bent its side step Whistle

here is my first forray onto the articulation exercising stretch.
Click image to enlarge

That front wheel is airbourne as is i suspect the rear one, causing the traction control to work its magic.

here is a picture from further down that stretch where this can be seen better.
Click image to enlarge

I promise you those alternate holes were very deep with most struggling and having to have a couple of goes. and even in the Dakar i got stuck here, had to back up, with a bit of difficulty, engage the diff locks and boot it through with a bit more momentum to get it through. Its also where the Dakar bent the side steps.
But amazingly other than a bit of wheel spin here and there as the TC sorted itself out it never really presented any problem to the D3.

So next was the climb a hill and steep decent into large hole.
taken from the rear it looks bad enough
Click image to enlarge

but from the front it looks a whole lot worse,
Click image to enlarge

Admittedly the picture taker canted the camera to accentuate the angle in this shot, but it was plenty steep enough to impress the passengers i had on board at the time, one of which was thinking about importing a D3 himself and is now fully commited to that. In fact i threw him the Keys a bit later to allow him to experience the sheer joy of ownership himself 8)

You might notice also the lovely sunny weather here, in fact while the UK is being flooded at present, we are desperately short of water and one of the biggest costs of organising the day was paying for a bowser to put some water in one of the holes in the rest of the course so we had some mud to splosh through as well.

Anyway, not much i know, compared to what some other members get up to, but never the less all in a good cause, it was nice to help out, and it was sure something that bit different.

Last edited by BBS SPY on 2nd Mar 2010 8:04 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #55529023rd Nov 2009 7:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nice to see you away from the test bench for a change Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #55531623rd Nov 2009 8:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks Bodsy Thumbs Up

I dunno if it was me or the Disco 3 that appreciated the day off from the bench more Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

It did seem that the D3 was more in its true element though, while i was wishing i had an inclinometer to hand.

Post #55532523rd Nov 2009 8:39 pm
IKke

Netherlands 

I see a BMW flag Shocked

I like the pics off the cross axle section (elephant steps?) Thumbs Up

Post #55533923rd Nov 2009 9:07 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Ah yes, well here in Cyprus, BMW, Jaguar and Land Rover are all owned by the same parent company, and they were one of the sponsors of the event, but it could have been much worse, they just bought Nissan too Shocked

At at lest the BMW hill was more challenging than the StarBucks hump Rolling with laughter

Post #55552324th Nov 2009 8:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >