Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

4 x 4 Info Screen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

J@mes wrote:
exactly how many people do you think this will affect though?

I think an awful lot of people have had their engine remapped. I appreciate that this is beer talk info ( Thumbs Up 90 ) but if the car is being returned to build spec, then logically I assume that includes the engine map too.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5601883rd Dec 2009 10:58 pm
mikeyp

United Kingdom 

wiggs wrote:
"hacking" of files....you means switching on something thats already there Question

I think the issue is really one of software licensing. Just because software functionality is there (but disabled) does not mean you have the right to use it.

As an example, some software functionality is available on the HSE as standard, but not on lesser models (e.g. 4x4 info). Which means, when you buy the HSE, you have bought a license to use said software. If you have bought a lesser model then you don't have the license. Therefore the dealer is within their rights to switch off software that should not be enabled as technically it is piracy !

Many many products are sold like this. Its a great way for vendors to standardise their product line ups and minimise costs etc.

Now dont get me wrong, I'll be getting some stuff on my SE enabled...

Post #5728422nd Jan 2010 11:00 am
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

popeye im only in York if you need your 4x4 info done and a meet with Wiggs is out or reach.

RE the IDS/SDD i will let you kow if i see any changes re the CCF or Asbuilt info when i update again to the next version.

Pete

Post #5728462nd Jan 2010 11:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yep - many products are sold like this - mainly software, but not cars.

There is no EULA or similar when you buy a car - once you buy it, it is yours to do with as you please although doing so may invalidate your warranty, there is absolutely no legal requirement to not do as you please with your vehicle.

Note that a warranty does not mean that a dealer can exercise any form of right to modify your vehicle's features - the warranty is your legal right to get them to fix/correct things on the vehicle, not the other way around.

If a dealer overwrote my CCF and disabled a load of things without informing me, then I would have them (and LR) in court. (note that I don't have sat nav anyway, so it's largely irrelevant).

There is no safety issue in what Wiggs or anyone else is doing by enabling 4x4 info - it is not necessary to touch the TC or ABS software at any moment.

Lots of cars are not at build-spec after a couple of years (tow-bar enabled, PDC disabled for winch, language changed, user-configuration etc), so I see no reason why they would want to rewrite the build spec of any vehicle....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #5728502nd Jan 2010 11:31 am
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well, just to add my experience on this, my old dealership I used for service/warrenty work had a booking in check sheet, they walk around the D3 to check and sign damage, etc etc. We all know the forms, anyway, this one had a disclaimer on it which I had to sign before they would book it in. It basically said that any technoligies found that were not part of the build sheet, at the disgretion of the dealership would be removed in accordance to the vehicles VIN.

I did ask, as I had done my own tow bar and electrics and got them enabled elsewhere, but they said as mine was a HSE they would'nt bother looking.

I think its down to judgement really, I guess they are checking but doubt they would do anything.

Edit ......Just to add, yes I am BAS tuned, and the beauty is I can remove before It visits the dealer, and uploaded in the carpark on collection Laughing

Post #5728662nd Jan 2010 12:28 pm
PaulP

Sorry to doubt you Mac, but this sound like b0ll0cks.

What you would have signed would have been something along the lines of "anything not part of the original build that must be removed to enable the dealer to carry out the service will be charged accordingly and will not be part of any type of warranty or guarantee"

The means underbody plates, rear ladders, roof racks or anything that could interfere with the work to be carried out.

It is completely logical and makes sense although most dealers would simply ignore this "rule" and bear the almost negligible cost of removing the 4 bolts that hold on a Mantec etc.... Rolling Eyes

Also, you're saying that if you "only" had a GS, then your dealer would have removed your tow bar? Having a tow bar or not is absolutely nothing to do with having a HSE or not or where you got it activated....it is simply a LR accessory for ANY D3 regardless of trim level.

To say that they overlooked your tow bar because you have a HSE is a bit absurd to be honest. You also make it sound like your dealer is the one who owns the D3 and who decides what it should be like, not you....

Anyway, I agree with the judgement thing, but I think it is actually related to whether they would charge you 15 minutes labour to remove a sump plate rather than saying that they have free reign to modify your car to how it was when it left the factory...
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #5728752nd Jan 2010 12:51 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

They were an absolute abismal bunch Paul, they sold me my D3 and hated everything I did to it, even the parts dept guy was outspoken to the enhancements.

They used the explanation of the check in sheet to the fact that people were begining to enhance their vehicles to the detrement of their dealerships that had to put things right, and back then being a person not knowing about the unlocking 4x4 info just signed the sheet.

Luckily, when I had the tow bar fitted and they had it, it was'nt enabled.....it worked fine and since have had it done.

Post #5728802nd Jan 2010 1:04 pm
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

can anyone tell me about the 4x4 info screen when you select a TR prog and two green circles with padlocks in them come on, one over the center diff and the other over the rear. Is this the same on everyones who has the screen or if you dont have a rear locking diff do you just get it over the center? I know it goes red but I have never seen the screen when i have been off road due to forgetting about it.
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #5731392nd Jan 2010 11:55 pm
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You get both locks showing in the unlocked position with or without rear locking diff.

They turn red and show a locked symbol when active as below.

Post #5731423rd Jan 2010 12:00 am
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

buellbeast
I noticed you have you TR set to rock crawl. does that lock the rear diff right away or does it only lock when req? I aint sure if mine has a rear lock and as I mentioned before, i never looked at the info screen when I was off road.
I have looked under the car and from the pics ive seen on here on other threads I dont think it does. It'd just be a nice supprise if it did
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #5731443rd Jan 2010 12:09 am
mikeyp

United Kingdom 

PaulP wrote:
Yep - many products are sold like this - mainly software, but not cars.

There is no EULA or similar when you buy a car - once you buy it, it is yours to do with as you please although doing so may invalidate your warranty, there is absolutely no legal requirement to not do as you please with your vehicle.

Note that a warranty does not mean that a dealer can exercise any form of right to modify your vehicle's features - the warranty is your legal right to get them to fix/correct things on the vehicle, not the other way around.

If a dealer overwrote my CCF and disabled a load of things without informing me, then I would have them (and LR) in court. (note that I don't have sat nav anyway, so it's largely irrelevant).

There is no safety issue in what Wiggs or anyone else is doing by enabling 4x4 info - it is not necessary to touch the TC or ABS software at any moment.

Lots of cars are not at build-spec after a couple of years (tow-bar enabled, PDC disabled for winch, language changed, user-configuration etc), so I see no reason why they would want to rewrite the build spec of any vehicle....

PaulP - Not quite right.

Pages 96 & 97 of the Nav manual are EULA's (End User License Agreement) for the OS data and mapping databases. Which shows that some elements of the car are bound by a license agreement.

Granted, the EULAs in the Nav manual don't appear to have anything to do with the 4x4 info. However, Page 24 of the Nav manual states "The Off Road Navigation button will only be displayed if the enhanced navigation option is part of your vehicle specification".

Now the 4x4 info functionality was a £508 cost option (Navigation upgrade including 4x4 interface, TMC & Voice), so I can see why a LR dealer would get upset if you had it enabled, and it was not part of your vehicles original specification. Therefore I can also see the dealers' argument and rationale for disabling it.

Now I'm going to have my 4x4 info unlocked, and take the chance with the dealer when the car goes in for servicing etc. If they do disable it I'll argue the toss (hard) and throw my toys out of the pram, but to be honest, I would not realistically expect to win.

Post #5737134th Jan 2010 1:15 am
PaulP

Mac wrote:
They used the explanation of the check in sheet to the fact that people were begining to enhance their vehicles to the detrement of their dealerships

That's a bit scary Mac and it does sound somewhat unfair and also show a rather blinkered approach to customers modifying their vehicles to be exactly how they (the customer) wants them....

I'm glad you found a more sensible dealer in the end Thumbs Up

Hi Mikeyp Thumbs Up
mikeyp wrote:
Granted, the EULAs in the Nav manual don't appear to have anything to do with the 4x4 info. However, Page 24 of the Nav manual states "The Off Road Navigation button will only be displayed if the enhanced navigation option is part of your vehicle specification".

As I don't have LR Sat Nav I've never noticed this, but as you say they are nothing to do with the enabling or otherwise of vehicle functions - rather the reverse engineering of propietary software (I believe the software itself comes from Navteq and maybe Denso but not sure about this.

Either way, a EULA requires acknowledgement of the end user before it becomes enforceable and in this case there is none.

Regarding page 24, this is just correctly explains why the button would/wouldn't be visible on certain nav screens rather than giving them a legal "right" to disable things at a later date.

I don't think it gives a dealer any argument to disable 4x4 info and anyway as far as I know, IDS does not have the facility to enable/disable the 4x4 info anyway at present.

My local dealer was a bit miffed when I put AT2 tyres on mine - nothing to do with it being a change of spec, but rather because I didn't pay almost double to get the tyres from them Rolling Eyes

Using the rationale of them losing money in a sale, how much do you think a dealer gets from the 508 GBP? Probably very little so it shouldn't be enough to worry them

I can understand why dealers would get upset if a modification causes a fault or something to go wrong that you then expect them to fix, but in this case, activating the 4x4 info screen doesn't really fall under this scenario.

On the other hand, we have to consider that the activation of the 4x4 info is but a drop in the ocean compared to remapping the engine...

I've had my engine mapping reset during a service as they updated the EMS software - they didn't do it intentionally, but as they didn't know it was remapped, they had no reason to mention it to me anyway.

Remapping is (in my opinion) something that could really cause a loss in revenue (i.e. if I couldn't afford a TDV8 RRS, then a remapped TDV6 D3 although not in the same league is still much better than a standard TDV6 and may allow for a compromise without spending another 20,000 GBP....), however, no-one seems worried about this. Remember that a vehicle is "legally" type-approved based upon the emissions/power that an engine produces and remapping effectively changes all of this Whistle

We'll just have to see how things go over the next year or two with regards to IDS and LR's intentions, but opinions apart, I think this is an interesting discussion point Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

EDIT: speaking of opinions, I should say that mine is based upon having a D3 that is well outside of warranty and therefore I guess it makes my views different to someone with a newer vehicle Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #5737574th Jan 2010 9:07 am
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

As said, even if the dealer wanted to disable the 4x4 info they cant do it on IDS because the function to swap nav types is not there.
It would need a head LR tech unlock code to enable the functiuon in IDS so they could do it which i cant see hapening.

So for now it seems you are all safe with 4x4 info Smile unless they decide to implement Asbuilt data into a login session that overwrites the cars settings with Asbuilt before it will let the dealer do the service functions.

Pete

Post #5738204th Jan 2010 12:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
E-peich

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi guys I don't know if somebody could help me, I have the 4x4i menu activated by my faultmate, the question is that my screen don't have the compass as a option to select under the secondary division of the screen.
You can see that diference on the next pictures.
Mine:
The picture from "buellbeast":

Some body know if necessary a software update or it is an option from the diagnosis on the D3?

Thank you in advance.
 E-peich

"A man with a new idea is a madman until the idea triumphs" - Mark Twain 

Post #70446116th Oct 2010 11:58 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

First off make sure you have in the infotainment section

Multi Media Module (HLDF) Manufacturer Mode - set to Land Rover mode

Then re write the ccf file
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #70452617th Oct 2010 11:09 am
Post Reply Back to top