Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Bilstens on a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jamo

Australia 

approx 100,000km if the car is loaded up (ie bar, rear carrier, aux tank etc)
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #57818410th Jan 2010 12:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
powella

Australia 2007 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

The old man's D3 went around OZ (with a prev owner) and lost a rear shock(blew shock oil around the top mount) at 70K, we believe without a trailer in tow.

Hence would second that, but possibly refine to:
- 100K with the previous mentioned gear
- 75K with BBar nothing else, but loaded up with camping gear etc and 1x round Aus trip.

Cheers,
AP
 2007 Discovery 3 HSE TDV6, Java Black. Towing a Kimberley Karavan... somewhere...  
Post #57880311th Jan 2010 9:44 am
jh972

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

My rear shock/spring units have just been replaced under warranty at 63000 k, because they were a bit soft.
New ones are less "soft" but the originals certainly weren't totally U/S.
They had had a hardish life!
 2007 TDV6 SE Stornoway Gray
Llams Ride Height Controller, Traxide dual battery system, 

Post #6162257th Mar 2010 2:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

jh972 wrote:
They had had a hardish life!

"Exercised" on Madigans?

Post #6162557th Mar 2010 12:56 pm
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I had the first rear set replaced under warranty (after a tough life) at about 60,000km. Up to that point they had carried a significant load almost continuously and often on the least comfortable roads in Aus. The fronts are still originals. Now (105,000kms) the rears are soft again - less load but now a TVan in tow and still on the least comfortable roads.

I'm thinking I'm wasting my time with another set of LR originals and need something a bit tougher...

I'm not looking for a tighter on road performance, rather I'm looking for something that can handle the load and corrugations. I really don't want to mess up the ride by putting something 'harder' in there.

So, anyone who has something not original and has used them extensively on corrugations and with a load - I for one am interested in your opinion...

Thanks
Haggis
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #62503122nd Mar 2010 1:42 pm
GraemeS

Haggis wrote:
I'm not looking for a tighter on road performance, rather I'm looking for something that can handle the load and corrugations. I really don't want to mess up the ride by putting something 'harder' in there.

From my experience with adjustable Koni's on my D2 whereby I had them soft for normal use (but fronts revalved with softer bump) and adjusted-up the rebound when loaded, the rear shocks on my D4 should do a good job with a loaded vehicle but are too harsh for my empty everyday use on the poor roads where I drive although they are getting softer even after only 11K kms. Perhaps the Koni FSDs will be worth trying when the D4 shocks wear out, as they couldn't be much worse IMO.

Post #62542222nd Mar 2010 10:10 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I thought that the D4 OEM shocks are now made by Bilsteins? so should last longer.
Bilsteins make some that fit the D3 as do Koni.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #62554923rd Mar 2010 2:52 am
Haggis

I've decided to go for the Bilsteins (being fitted as I type). After talking to some fitters (including Ritters in Melb), the message came back that people who had the Konis fitted where unhappy with the ride (more harsh), and people who had had the Bilsteins fitted were much happier.

Nobody seems to know if the Bilsteins will last any longer than the LR OE units though....
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #6560563rd Jun 2010 1:00 am
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Whose fiiting them for you Haggis?
I was quoted just over $2000 for the Bilsteins fitted.
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #6560593rd Jun 2010 1:32 am
Haggis

~Rich~,
Ritter in Melbourne. They are not the 'most economical' for LR service, but thy are probably one of the best, and in my case there are some other niggles with the D3 that need fixing and that have been beyond the available service agents in the NW of the country... I have no idea what the acual cost for the Bilsteins fitted will be, but I know I can't continue with the worn out OE units any longer.
Post #6560603rd Jun 2010 1:39 am
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
bilsteins

FYI,

I have just had a set of Bilstiens fitted in Canberra, just over $2000 including the replacement "O" ring kits.

They are not as firm as expected but have restored the well controlled smooth ride as new. Excellent handling.

Ianv
 TDV6  
Post #66127116th Jun 2010 1:34 pm
GraemeS

Re: bilsteins

Hi Ianv,
How do you find the ride over poorer sealed roads compared with what you recall the original LR shocks gave? I'm thoroughly sick of my D4 shocks with the occupants being jarred and tossed by every undulation once the shocks get warm. I've just done a quick trip from Wagga to Adelaide and back via Ouyen and even the ride on the Sturt Hwy is ghastly, let alone the lesser roads thougth western Vic. CaverD3's/Ritters comments on the Konis rather rules them out as an improvement.

Post #6898256th Sep 2010 9:28 am
ianv

Just finished a 10,500km trip, including the 1100km run down the Tanami road. rough as you will ever find.

Before I left I had started to get a rattle in the front shocks(Both), typical valve rattle or low oil level noise. Back shocks were perferct from day one and carried my full load with no issues, no fade like the OEM shocks had suffered. Unfortuantely by the time I got home the front shocks were stuffed, thye came out and I discovered both seals failed and there was an acknowledged shim issue, returned them for a no charge rebuild, they went back in Monday and as soon as the new transmission is in(very long story, onbord electronics fault killed it, and thank god for the extended warranty) I will try them out again. Happy with them when new but the gloss faded from the fronts quickly, backs are still great.

I'll see how they go next few thousand km.

IAnv

PS: Original shocks lasted 120,000km Rears were worn out, front tired, no leaks.
 TDV6  
Post #6903027th Sep 2010 11:38 am
GraemeS

Thanks Ianv.
I'm very interested to know how the ride compares with std on normal bumpy highways when only lightly loaded - would you consider it still a magic carpet ride? I haven't really known the D3's magic carpet ride but IMO the D4 sure hasn't got one and I want it if at all possible. Although good damping on the occasional outback trip would be appreciated (I think the D4 might be quite good here), a supple ride and a longer life than std D3 shocks are higher priorities for me.

Post #6903367th Sep 2010 1:11 pm
ianv

On normal roads before they went off the front shocks were ok and the rear shocks were equal or better than the always smooth ride of the air suspended d3. I do have a long range tank and drawers in the back so there is some load.

As the front shocks had a fault with valving from new I still cannot say for sure how they compared to standard, I felt the standard were more supple. After I get it back tomorrow I'll drive it for the next few days and then give you an update.

I am about 40Km of choppy road out of Canberra so it will not take long to know how the repaired shocks cope.

Sorry to hear your D4 is not super smooth

Ianv
 TDV6  
Post #6903437th Sep 2010 1:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >