Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Exped style roof racks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4
Exped style roof racks

Ok, I have a roof tent, used it on my TD5 for trips away with work, now have a D3 and have so far used it several times fixed to the standard LR roof bars.

I suspect these are not designed for such a load and I think an exped style roof rack would offer a better 'load bed' for the tent.

So what do people recommend (other than the LR exped roof rack), I obviously need something that has no 'rails' around the edges or at the rear as the tent has to fit the rack and needs to open over the rear of the vehicle.

Suggestions on a postcard please... or by posting here if you prefer!

Post #58934724th Jan 2010 10:53 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

a number of option including Rhino rack, or Frontrunner.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #58936024th Jan 2010 11:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Patriot. Excellent bit of kit Thumbs Up . Spendy but nice
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #58939024th Jan 2010 11:36 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

A number of different roofracks either use the cross-bars or anchor themselves to the same points as do the cross bars. In other words, the weight of the rooftop tent may concentrated on to the same places whether or not a roofrack is used. The manual doesn't give different rooftop weight limits for either a rack or the cross-bars and a rackrack weighs 8-12 kg, which can make the situation worse. For several years I put a rooftop tent directly onto the bars, and this just made the weight limit, so it may be okay to keep doing so and save the cost of a roofrack.

Thought - does anyone know if the low weight limit (my manual was consumed in the theft/fire that engulfed my D3 Evil or Very Mad and my D4 isn't here yet) is due to structural limits of the roof or does the higher centre-of-gravity muck up the stability control settings? I note that when parked the roof obviously supports at least 250 kg (heavy tent plus two large blokes - note in separate sleeping bags!)
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #58946225th Jan 2010 5:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >