Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Harman/Kardon drive and play
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Guy

United Kingdom 

I can answer the bit about the cover behind the EPB - no issues with that; I just bought a spare one and drilled it out and then fitted the original back when I sold the (previous) D3. It just snaps out and you can route the cable easily down through the centre console.

Hope that helps!

Post #59233428th Jan 2010 9:43 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I will test it with the iphone when I am next in my Jag and am with someone that has an iphone!
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #59235228th Jan 2010 10:02 pm
mikeyp

United Kingdom 

£35 for a new one on Amazon right now.

I wouldnt use the FM transmitter as they are generally poor audio quality when compared to an Aux input, and the nice folks at LR have given us one of those.

I'm tempted by one of these as using the Parrot MKi 9200 to control the iPod just doesnt cut it. At least the HK solution emulates the ipod user interface...

Post #59279229th Jan 2010 2:23 pm
Stu

The FM transmitter is excellent on the HK. This is because it connects to the aerial itself as it goes into the back of the stereo, so you don't get interferance etc. It means you don't have to use the Aux socket, which although useful isn't located in the best spot.

Although using the Aux does mean you don't have to take the stereo out etc. I think it depends on how neat you want the finished result.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #59279929th Jan 2010 2:32 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just thinking about it logically, but I may be a million miles off here, if you connect anything via FM (either modulation or direct into the antenna on rear of the ICE head unit) means that you are modulating the output to transmit it to the ICE head unit and then re-modulating (is that a word Rolling Eyes ) back to an electronic signal whereas going straight off the bottom of the iPod and into the aux port means its a straight and 'undiluted' electronic signal?????

Or am I talking out my proverbial Shocked

Post #59293329th Jan 2010 5:37 pm
SJ

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Referring to your original question, there should be a 3.5mm audio output mini-jack with RCA audio cable included in the kit.
I have two of these kits bought from Thompson's ltd. (1st one was £24,95, 2nd one was £29.99) they also sell all the parts separately,
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Thompsons-LT...drive+play
I actually had a LR iPod kit already installed, I tied the HK kit into the LR kit so that it works off the AUX like the LR one. It was a bit fiddly getting it all into the glove box, but it's really neat and it works a treat. I placed the controller on the EPB cover the same as GUY but I just used one of the sticky pads instead of drilling holes in it. I placed the screen on the dash top adjacent to the A pillar. I use an iPod touch (first generation, I think!) and have had no problems with charging, I believe that some of the later iPods don't charge without a separate charger.

Post #60448516th Feb 2010 5:42 pm
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

For a list of compatible ipods that charge see:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/cons...-usb2.html

The drive and play 1 is firewire charging. I have used the ipod touch with the my D+P, with this you are advised to select 'music' before plugging it in, but I find it sorts itself out after a while anyway. I would imagine the iphone is similar.

Post #60456216th Feb 2010 7:53 pm
SJ

according to the everymac website, none of the iPod Touch series should charge from the DP1 (which is what I have) but mine does! Maybe it was originally designed by the same guy who designed the D3! Or maybe they just used the same company who wrote the instruction manual Rolling with laughter

Post #60480317th Feb 2010 6:53 am
bongy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

anyone got any piccies of the HK unit, remote and brain fitted? Very Happy
 Disco 3 2.7 TDV6 55 Buckingham Blue Base
15% tints / Group Buy Stainless Steel Sill Plates / Trillogy B144 tailpipes / Stupidly Large Steel Bull Bar 8)
EGR Blanking plates / Side Steps / Very Big LR roof Box / BAS remap Smile
New AC condensor / New Clutch & DM Flywheel / New Air Compressor, pipe set & Relay/another new clutch plate thanks to SWMBO/ new cross over pipe (without the body coming off) Sad
Suzuki GSX1400 - its all torque! 8)
Bayliner 175 Capri Very Happy
Adria 660SP motorhome Smile 

Post #60481717th Feb 2010 8:14 am
SJ

I can send you some but not for three weeks as I'm out in Algeria at the moment! Sad

Post #60487517th Feb 2010 10:47 am
nismo

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up just bought one looks good 29 quit brand new Thumbs Up

Post #60487717th Feb 2010 10:51 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

SJ wrote:
according to the everymac website, none of the iPod Touch series should charge from the DP1 (which is what I have) but mine does! Maybe it was originally designed by the same guy who designed the D3! Or maybe they just used the same company who wrote the instruction manual Rolling with laughter

This thread just gets more confusing Confused Confused

I have an iPhone 3G and I really like the look of the HK DP1 and would like to treat myself to one but will the DP1 charge it or won't it Confused Confused

SJ says it charges his first generation iPod Touch yet it seems it shouldn't be able to. DrLex in his post near the start of this thread says that it charges his first generation iPhone but the phone needs to be in "Airplane Mode" (stops it being a phone basically) so that's no good to me. The seller on Ebay says that it won't charge the iPod Touch and iPhone.

Confused Confused Confused

To add to the confusion, there are also EU and US versions - does the market the DP1 was designed for make a difference?

Is there anybody out there with a DP1 AND an iPhone 3G who can say categorically that the DP1 WILL or WILL NOT charge an iPhone 3G Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #60490217th Feb 2010 11:35 am
Stu

I will try it for you, but I don't own an iphone, the next time I meet up with Gary or Neil and I have my X Type, I'll try it for you. Don't know when that will be yet
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #60491017th Feb 2010 11:48 am
nismo

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

mine has arrived looks good and Very Happy easy t fit does anyone know the best way t get to the back of the radio with minimum fuss Thumbs Up

Post #60562718th Feb 2010 1:43 pm
SJ

If you're lucky someone will post a link to one of the detailed strip downs of the front / centre consul. Which is what I used but unfortunately I can't remember where I found it. Alternativly you could post your own topic asking for instuctions how to gain access to the radio and someone will definitely reply to that! You could also try doing a search, but I've always found it extremely difficult finding things through the search facility! Maybe I'm getting old? Rolling Eyes

Post #60624219th Feb 2010 12:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >