Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Harman/Kardon drive and play
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Harman/Kardon drive and play

Read a few threads and that on here and have just bought one of the HK iPod kits (less than £25 delivered.....).

Initial thoughts are that it looks a good bit of kit and well made (bits I expected/thought were painted plastic are metal) and comes with all the cables, fittings and connectors required..........except one it seems?

You can install it using an FM transmitter or with line-out cables (both supplied) directly to the ICE head unit. I want to do the latter (for sound quality/continuity) and on the wiring diagram is says "third party CD interchanger interface" is required. However in the written instructions it says that it can go into an "auxiliary input jack".

Does this mean that I can plug from the unit into the auxiliary jack on the rear of the centre console and avoid any third party extra bits? Would also mean no need to get centre console out to get to rear of head unit???

For the installation I am planning on the 'brains' box going under the armrest (right under, i.e. inside and hidden) which means aux in wire can easily be looped around. The control knob to sit on the flat bit of plastic behind the handbrake switch (any issue with screws going into that piece of plastic?) and the display unit I intend to have on the dash' 'ledge' (inbetween where the sat nav screen sits and the steering wheel), again it will be screw fixed so any issue. If I can find a way to route it I want the iPod to be kept in the glove box but would default to the centre console cubby box (just got to be careful of chucking stuff on top of it) and this would make wire routing easy.

Any comments/help guys? Bow down

Intend to do a completely hidden-wire/installation fit as will not remove if/when car is moved on

Post #59192328th Jan 2010 11:27 am
mikeyp

United Kingdom 
Re: Harman/Kardon drive and play

astonbuilder wrote:
...in the written instructions it says that it can go into an "auxiliary input jack".

Does this mean that I can plug from the unit into the auxiliary jack on the rear of the centre console and avoid any third party extra bits? Would also mean no need to get centre console out to get to rear of head unit???

Yes. Plug into the Aux input, which is a stereo line in as per a normal domestic hi-fi analogue amplifier.

Post #59210428th Jan 2010 3:00 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Quite fancy one of these myself but not sure if it'll work correctly with an iPhone, or if it will charge said iPhone.

The new DP2 version will but it's well over £200 (£300+ for the Bluetooth version) so a bit out of my budget.

Where did you find the DP1 for less than £25 incl delivery?
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #59212028th Jan 2010 3:45 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

There's a refurbished one on the 'bay for just over £20 inc. delivery - clicky.
It charges my 1st gen. iPhone fine, but it will buzz if not in airplane mode, which defeats the point of such. I therefore leave an old iPod in situ.
astonbuilder - I'd recommend leaving the control "knob" by the handbrake lever - a convenient spot.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #59212428th Jan 2010 3:53 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've got one of these and it's great if anyone wants to know if it will charge an iphone then I can probably borrow an iphone for a few minutes and test it for you. It charges my ipod video.

I paid about £50 for mine two years ago and it's been really good. Very very well made, lots of metal and not lots of plastic. The control mimics the ipod so it's easy to use. The only downside that I find is that you don't get a menu option for podcasts. They can be played but you need to find them in the other menus ie if you search for artist and find BBC then any BBC podcasts will be in there.

No problem with using the Aux socket. If you use the FM transmitter (which you can do direct into the aerial so no interferrance like you get with normal FM transmistters) then you can use the Aux input on the "brains" box as to give you another Aux in.

Bargin at £50, amazing for £25! 100 times better than a normal FM transmitter.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #59213028th Jan 2010 4:04 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

If you can do that Stu that would be great. Bow down Bow down

Whistle Could I be really cheeky and ask if you could check that you don't need Airplane mode turned on (as DrLex seems to) - I've got a iPhone 3G, not a first generation one so might be OK. Airplane mode is the first item in the Settings menu and is normally Off.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #59214228th Jan 2010 4:17 pm
astonbuilder

I got mine off eBay for £24.50. think the seller had ten available. There was another seller for just under £30 as well and a few others on auction. Saw a couple go for under a tenner.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...K:MEWNX:IT

Or run a search on eBay and it should bring up half a dozen or so.

Hadn't thought that the FM in through the aeriel wasn't like the crappy 'through the airwaves' type.....doh Embarassed

Where have others who have them sited their unit, scroll wheel and display to give me an idea?

Post #59214528th Jan 2010 4:29 pm
GlosBoy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

What am I missing then?

I just bought a unit that plugs into the Aux socket in the back of the cooler box, It also plugs into the 12v outlet to charge. You can control it from the top of the cigar charger or hang the iPod over the cooler box and use that. Cost me under a tenner. Works fine but I guess is messy

What does this HK unit buy me over this - apart from being integrated.

I notice the prices range from £25 to £50 altho StoneAudio have it for £137
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone
Stornaway D4. Gone, Didn't like it at all
D3 silver manual. Loved my first LR

Post #59215128th Jan 2010 4:46 pm
astonbuilder

Quote: What does this HK unit buy me over this - apart from being integrated.

For fifteen quid isn't that enough????

I have previously had a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack lead and just had that in the iPod to car. They can be bought as cheaply as a quid but it still means that you have to fumble with iPod if you want to change tracks, search, etc. Not good on the move and pretty dangerous I would think....

Post #59215428th Jan 2010 4:51 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

GlosBoy,
you also get a screen with mount so that you can see song details and menu items.
Monochrome with blue backlight, not LCD colour goodness, but remember this is old & now cheap, discontinued kit.
It's a 3 part kit consisting of controller, screen & "brain", plus interconnects. I also had an FM modulator to allow feed through the aerial socket, but this might be missing from some versions.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #59215928th Jan 2010 5:00 pm
GlosBoy

DrLex

Thanks for update

I have tried (on other vehicles) various ways of connecting iPod, either thru a radio transmitter - c Censored p. or via the cassette option -better but nobody has cassette slots now.

This one I have now works well, sound quality wise, but as its been pointed out to me , pretty messy and potentially dangerous.

Dont get to drive the D3 that much but when I do I like my choice of tunes and therefore dont use the CD changer that much. They always have SWMBO rubbish in there.

Will take a look and see if there are other newer versions out that I can get away with without her knowing what I have fitted Wink Hence, the integrated approach is best. The sound out of the HK unit is pretty good so shame not to maximise it.
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone

Post #59216528th Jan 2010 5:11 pm
astonbuilder

Glosboy, take a look at the link on my post or just do a google search to get the full spec and see various pics. It really is a good bit of kit for the money and will be comparable with the dealer fit system I had fitted on my Merc for 400 notes.......only real difference is that the display is seperate whereas on the Merc' it was in the LCD display in the clocks, but still monchrome

Post #59219428th Jan 2010 5:55 pm
GlosBoy

Asstonbuilder

Will do. Thanks for the info

Mark
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone

Post #59220028th Jan 2010 6:02 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

I've got one - boxed and as new - if anyone wants to make a sensible offer (let's say £25 to site funds). I've even got a pre-drilled panel to go behind the EPB that will take the controller! PM me if you are interested.

EDIT - it's a DP 1US and it's in the box but pretty packing material is missing. Should all be OK though...

Post #59225328th Jan 2010 7:34 pm
astonbuilder

If anybody buys Guy's unit (and I'd advise you to at that price) I can provide any fitting instructions if that is missing.

I hope to fit mine in next week and will post pics and that.

However Whistle Getting back to the OP, anybody answer that or advise?

Post #59232928th Jan 2010 9:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >