Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Faulty EGR Valves on my D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 25 <123 45 ... 232425>
Adzbaby

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

LR haven't spent 1,000s developing them, EGR's have been around for as long as turbo diesel engines have been around. They're more of a 'green' aspect, to reduce emissions by reusing the exhaust gases, which will contain some traces of combustables etc. rather than clean air. All blanking them off does is cause the engine to have clean air 100% of the time and the exhaust gases will just go out the exhaust as our dear Creator meant them to do Wink.

No adverse effects and not real big deal on the emission side of things either, the disco is not a green car, get a prius if green is what you're after.

Blank off those troublesome beeatches!

Post #64297229th Apr 2010 9:51 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Adzbaby wrote:
the exhaust gases will just go out the exhaust as our dear Creator meant them to do Wink.

Ahh yes and that exhuast has a CAT that is supposed to burn off harmful gases (so we were told) Rolling Eyes EGR's are a bit of over-kill and have caused problems to all makes and models of diesel vehicles (just google EGR).

Ford had a great system called 'Pulse Air System' that pulsed air into the exhaust manifold just behind the exhaust valve as the valve began to close. This would introduce oxygen into the exhaust gases causing an afterburn and remove most of the harmful gases, along with increased power due to improved induction on the intake stroke. Why wasn't it fitted in place of CAT's you ask? The EEC had already agreed the law that catalytic convertors were to be fitted to all vehicles Rolling Eyes

Wait till Ad-Blue (SRS) comes into effect. As well as the extra cost and uritic crystals growing all over the system we are having loads of problems with it. More expense Rolling Eyes
 Faultmate MSV2 EXTREME
FOXWELL N624 Elite
Hantek 1008c Oscilloscope 

Post #64326230th Apr 2010 4:46 pm
anglefire

England 

A friend of mine who runs a Defender and is also very Green (He is a Green Councillor and is standing for MP next week) does not like Cats, or EGR valves or anything like that.

He says the Cat simply does something in the time it takes to get out the exhaust, that will be naturally degraded to the same components in about 2weeks. But makes the engine less efficient in the process, so actually is less green as it uses more fuel.

The only advantage of Cats is that they reduce the chances/density of Fog - so is of use in places like LA, where it all started anyway. But in the UK and most of the rest of the world, waste of time.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #64333130th Apr 2010 7:02 pm
baronsix

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
EGR Valves replaced

Had to have them replaced on mine as well, a 54 HSE. Thankfully covered under warranty but took 2 separate trips to the dealers to get all the work completed.

Post #6442723rd May 2010 5:34 pm
Durrus

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I've just had me EGRs blanked off today, using Bell's kit. The result is fantastic - I didn't realise just how much power I had lost. Also. I reckon I'm getting about 5 MPG extra.
Thumbs Up
Regards,
Durrus
 06 Tonga Green TDV6 HSE  
Post #6451615th May 2010 5:35 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Mr. Green

Post #6453265th May 2010 11:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NIDisco3

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ordered my BAS Kit yesterday.. hopefully I'll get it in time for the weekend looking forward to seeing if there is any difference, been getting EGR Faults on my FCR for the last month or so Thumbs Up

Post #6454546th May 2010 1:12 pm
37chad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had a intermittent loss of power recently. Car was flat below 2000rpm then ok when turbo kicked in. Fitted a BAS EGR blanking kit today. Followed there instuctions which was just as well because i dropped a gasket. Fortunately it landed on a rag which the instructions had told me to stuff around the EGR valve. The whole job took about 2 hrs and was quite straight forward. Seemed ok on first test run plenty of pull low down. Hoping for an improvment in mpg as I have only been averaging 24.5

Post #64723910th May 2010 6:08 pm
catman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

hello this is my first time on this forum just fitted egr blanking blates on my discovery 3 the job only took about one hour and the car drives like new thanks to the tips on this forum

Post #67604024th Jul 2010 10:37 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I am just waiting fro Pete from BAS to figure out the way to blank EURO4 engines with no glitches will be first one to do it.... Dr. Evil

Post #67604524th Jul 2010 10:48 pm
catman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

just a update after fitting blanking plates to egr i now get better mpg on a run 29.9 and with a caravan on 25 mpg must be the best 6.99 i ve spent Thumbs Up

Post #68295916th Aug 2010 11:21 am
Gurmit

United Kingdom 

Hi All,

Done a trip to the Midlands yesterday and upon my return I notice that the gears had started 'to stick'. It seemed very slow to pick up speed even from say 30 - 40 mph on the moterway, it felt as if the car was being held back and then letting fly with the revs flying to 4000rpm. It took ages to reach a speed of around 70mph and sometimes the revs would reach 5000rpm then go back down to 2000rpm.

When reaching speeds of 30mph the revs were going up to 2000rpm. Could this be that I need the EGR valves sorted now or could this be something completely different?
I have a 55 plate HSE model with 47k on the clock. I believe it will require its 50k service soon.

Im on holiday next week to Cornwall and I intended to drive the Disco.....but should I be worried and borrow my dads car??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post #68296816th Aug 2010 11:57 am
DJH68

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Gurmit,

the symptoms that you are describing are the same as I had about three weeks ago, mine was the EGR valves - if you cant get them blanked off before going away then I would recommend not taking the disco. Mine went on way to Bournemouth from the Midlands, and to get the car back home was a pain, up hills on motorway - needed to keep the car within the turbo range (ie above 2200rpm), so that it had any pull.
The mechanic who does work on mine said I wouldn't damage anything else - it was just a pain.

But there are some mighty steep hills in cornwall, and if you get caught in a jam then may well end up knackering your clutch - I would have thought.

best to borrow your dads car - i would say, or get sorted

Post #68297016th Aug 2010 12:11 pm
Gurmit

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the advice DJH68.

I didnt mention that its an auto that i have. It only started yesterday, so i'll give it a run out this week to check the symptons again. If its real bad then i will have to borrow a car.

What a pain...it couldnt of come at such a wrong time for me Sad I was so looking forward to the drive...gutted to say is an understatement. To get it in a garage in time would be a miracle. I think i'll start ringing around.

Anyone know of a reliable Indy garage around the Kent area??

Post #68299616th Aug 2010 2:16 pm
primoreggazzo

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

also had egr valve blanked off today (thought problems were down to the fuel iniatally)......results are fantastic.....back to normal....havent checked out fuel consumption yet.

thanks to bell autos for the speedy delivery of the kit

Thumbs Up

Post #6883521st Sep 2010 4:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 25 <123 45 ... 232425>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >