Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Vibration under load?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Vibration under load?

Just driven back from Geneva Motorshow and really impressed (as ever) at the ability of the D3 in high speed cruise mode... super smooth. However, I've started to notice a slight vibration or juddering when accelerating. It's most noticeable when pulling away under load from a slow speed, and it might be my imagination, but I think I can feel it more when applying steering and pulling away? - ie. drove over some swiss mountains with slow switchback curves and can feel the vibration (judder) when accelerating out of each slow bend - particularly uphill or under load. I'm convinced it's coming from the front wheel area and particularly on the drivers side. I think it's now getting worse and believe I can now feel it in the steering wheel and pedals - or it might be just me starting to shake with worry about the cost!

Any idea what this might be? Thank you.
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #6146904th Mar 2010 8:00 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Wheel hot after juddering (worth checking next time) could be partially seized on brake caliper. Otherwise bearing on way out, any increase in road noise. My 1st worn out bearing was most noticeable turning.

Post #6147024th Mar 2010 8:05 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Auto gearbox, needs an oil change I reckon.

Post #6147134th Mar 2010 8:16 pm
crews control

I'll check the temperature of the wheels after the next drive...
How do I check the wheel bearings? (sorry - bit dim with this stuff)
It's not long after the last big service,should the auto gearbox oil have been changed?

Thanks for the pointers.. Thumbs Up
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #6147244th Mar 2010 8:29 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Paul,

I have exactly the same issue (or should that be symptoms)....

I can feel a vibration through the steering wheel and pedals (mostly the former) and it is really strong around 1700-2100rpm. It is definitely NOT a tyre/wheel type of vibration - more like the type you get with a seriously knackered wheel bearing, but in this case dependant on engine revs and not necessarily speed.

For some reason that I've never been able to explain why if you move the steering wheel a few degrees from straight (i.e. slightly "loading" the steering), I can feel it a lot more and it subsides slightly upon leaving the wheel pointing straight.

One thing I noticed last summer was that it was worse when the air-con was switched on.

My dealer changed whilst it was still under warranty:

Front diff
Power steering pump x 2
Belt + tensioner
Air con compressor

It is just as bad as it ever was and I was dreading this spring/summer when the air-con starts working to cool things down. (for the record I almost never switch it off)

I even exchanged a few e-mails with TFC last summer and we couldn't figure it out.

One thing we noticed in the dealership was that the return pipe for the power steering (from the reservoir to the pump) pulses/vibrates like hell when lightly revving the engine Shocked

Anyway...to cut a long story short my warranty ended and they were never able to fix it saying in the end that everything had been changed and that the noise was "nothing out of the ordinary" (so why did they change it all in the first place?). It is far from Censored normal to me Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, summer went and the temperatures dropped and it became "bearable" enough to take my time to try and figure it out....

Just before Christmas I noticed that my auto box was surging/over-revving/slipping now and again....this has got worse and I can now provoke "at will" a bad case of "clutch slip" by feathering the throttle when the torque convertor should be locked solid.

I've now decided to do a gearbox double flush (including pan filter) in the next week or so (when TLO sends my bits over Very Happy ) and I've also ordered plugs and bushes to do both diffs, the transfer and the gear selector linkage.

I'm not sure how, but I'm now convinced that both things are related to the auto-box. They only reason for the steering wheel vibration that I can think of is that the power steering fluid cooler is bolted to the front of the radiator and the auto box fluid is integrated in the bottom half of the radiator. I should try and get someone else to rev it for me and check that area a bit more closely.

BTW - my wheel bearings are as tight as a duck's ar$e and are generally cool after long journeys.

My D3 has only 66,000km and although it hasn't led a sheltered existence, it has annual and interim oil/filter changes.

Does any of this tie in to what you're seeing?

Cheers,
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6147464th Mar 2010 8:53 pm
crews control

Thanks Paul, my symptoms are sort of similar to yours.
I must admit that my first thoughts were of wheel bearings when I originally noticed the vibration, but I asked the question above because both bearings were only replaced under warranty just over a year ago!
I haven't tried the air-con to see if that makes any difference, but i will do next after reading your post.

Thanks
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #6147684th Mar 2010 9:21 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I spoke to TFC about exactly the same problem this evening, I can feel the vibration through the wheel when you hear the noise. It has got steadily worse.

He thinks it is tyre wear on the Good Year Wranglers on the inner edge, I checked them and they are worn in one direction. He suggested swapping the sides over, which I am going to do tomorrow.

I also suspected wheel bearing, but no movement at all.

I'll let you know what happens.

Post #6148424th Mar 2010 10:12 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

CW - Mine is definitely not tyre wear....my dealer said it was as I have AT tyres, but it is dependent on rpm, not speed so this rules out tyres.

Paul - I would say that the feeling you get from a dodgy bearing is what mine could sound/feel like Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6148704th Mar 2010 10:47 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

crews control wrote:

How do I check the wheel bearings? (sorry - bit dim with this stuff)

brakes off ,chock wheels , jack up car , grab roadwheel @ 9 & 3 o ' clock and 12 & 6 o ' clock , try to sake the wheel , any movement indicates bearing wear.

Last edited by Wex on 5th Mar 2010 1:10 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #6149565th Mar 2010 12:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crews control

Definitely not tyre related on mine - new ATR's from Ken recently, and barely worn at all.
Thanks Wex, I'll check both fronts tomorrow and see if there's any movement.
Thumbs Up
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #6149675th Mar 2010 1:08 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Crews control,
While I don't want you to discount any of the above advice, an experience of mine may be helpful.

Like you, I started to get a vibration/shaking when pushing my D3 through some tight corners. I eventually put it down to the DSC cutting in.

Now that I have returned to my normal driving style, no problems emerge.

HTH,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #6149825th Mar 2010 3:36 am
Blobby

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Re: Vibration under load?

crews control wrote:
Vibration under load?

Though I was on the wrong forum for a minute. Whistle

Post #6150055th Mar 2010 8:39 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I am swapping the tyres today, but if it doesn't work I would be interested to find out what yours is Crews Control as it is the same symptoms as mine.

TFC said he could come and diagnose it for me, so if you want to book it in with him, then we could tie up on the same day. No offence to dealers, but TFC has way more knowledge of these issue's than a dealer

Post #6150215th Mar 2010 9:26 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
Auto gearbox, needs an oil change I reckon.

Agree with Gareth if the symptoms are the same as this:
Initial acceleration from stand still and pulling out of a very slow bend.
Acceleration up a hill from slow speed.
Acceleration from slow speed whilst towing.
Basically it's when the front end is light and under acceleration from low speeds.
If all the above it's the gearbox oil needing changed.
If not, look somewhere else.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #6150285th Mar 2010 9:33 am
DiscoJools

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I reckon it needs gearbox oil changed. I had a similar thing and a double flush has solved the prob.I will change mine every 70 or 80 thousand kms now. can do no harm! How many miles or k have you done?
 2.7 D4 eDiff, Traxide Dual battery, Safari Snorkel...Opposite Lock winch bar..extra set 17" wheels with 245/70/17 BFG KM2 MTs..Warrior winch..Long range tank.
1982 2dr RRC renovated.
1983 Range Rover 2dr fitted with 300Tdi (with bigger turbo), 40mm body lift, Warn 9000i winch and BFG MT 265/75/16. Rear Maxidrive locker
1976 Landcruiser BJ40 with tipper body for the farm!! 

Post #6150515th Mar 2010 10:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >