Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Retrofit OEM RSE System & DVD - IT CAN BE DONE!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Ajay(UK)

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Retrofit OEM RSE System & DVD - IT CAN BE DONE!!!

Ever since we picked up the wife's D3 5 months ago it has been my goal to try and retrofit the factory supplied OEM Rear Screen entertainment System and DVD Confused

Land Rover say its not possible Shocked I haven't been able to find anyone in any forum or on the net that have done it Shocked Yet still I wanted to try and have a go at it Shocked

Well thanks to Wiggs today with his magic box of tricks turning on the touch screen menus (see below) which was the final but all important piece of the jigsaw Bow down I can confirm IT IS POSSIBLE to retrofit the OEM RSE Kit 8)

I will attempt a proper "how to" write up and post some more pictures in my gallery once the last few bits are finished but for now here's a few pictures!

One Headrest In!

Click image to enlarge

The Home Screen!

Click image to enlarge

DVD Menu

Click image to enlarge

Chuggington for the Kids!

Click image to enlarge

Cheers for now,

Andy.
 2022MY Defender 110 D250 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana with options!
2015 Range Rover 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver, Black Pack
Gone:Disco 4 HSE Luxury, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ivory
Gone:2006 FFRR TD6 Autobiography, Black
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red😢
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2010 FFRR TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE & DVD, Stornoway Grey 

Last edited by Ajay(UK) on 8th Mar 2010 2:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #6166757th Mar 2010 11:55 pm
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

well done Andy
i heard you paid a visit to the wiring store Thumbs Up
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #6166787th Mar 2010 11:59 pm
Ajay(UK)

Hi Nick, yes I did and thank you for pointing me in their direction! Will call you tomorrow as I still need the brackets we discussed!

Andy.

Post #6166948th Mar 2010 12:23 am
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nice one Andy, glad to see you got there in the end, looking forward to the write up. Thumbs Up

Lee

Post #6167308th Mar 2010 7:49 am
ajsms999

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Well done Andy Thumbs Up

Yet another 'can't be done' from LR overturned on this site!

Would like to do this myself, have just finished installing my OEM Nav, tmc, phone etc.
Just waiting for some wiring from TLO to complete the Hybrid D4 TV, a quick breakdown of the parts costs would be really useful.

Do you think this system could be linked to the FL2 headrest screens that Nick has offered - I already have them fitted!

Thanks
Andrew

Post #6167908th Mar 2010 10:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Bow down Bow down Very nice job.....you should be proud of yourself Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6167938th Mar 2010 10:34 am
Ajay(UK)

Thanks PaulP - I am 8) I still have a couple of things to finish off like replacing the left hand headrest sleeve on each stem that has the cable running through it - the LR ones I ordered are round and they need to be square Confused (Hence the reason why I haven't clipped the grab handle bolt covers back on yet!) Plus I need the brackets to mount the DVD player and RSE module in the rear off side quarter panel.

Andrew (ajsms999) I see no reason why you can't use the FL2 headrests as, apart from the IR receiver for the remote, the factory ones I used only carry power and a picture so it would just be a question of studying the wiring and making up a custom cable. I may even have some spare bits to help you with this one Wink

As for parts well you really only need the headrests with screens, a RSE Module and the Land Rover branded DVD Player (although this is made by Alpine their own version DHA-S680 has the wrong connectors!!!) I waited patiently for the hardware to turn up on a well known auction site Wink but you could also try breakers yards. I'm embarrased to say my total outlay for the three parts; a brand new pair of headrests with screens, a RSE module from a 2006 RRS and a dvd player from a 2007 FFRR was just under £300 Whistle

The hardest part is not sourcing the hardware but finding the correct wiring as there are no obvious Land Rover part numbers for the replacement cables - Trust me I have checked and even TLO is struggling with this one Laughing The answer Question Again a breakers yard - on TLO's recommendation I drove 3 hours to Somerset to CWS 4x4 who had a selection of vehicles and spent oh about 4 HOURS Shocked removing the wiring from a suitable RRS Rolling Eyes I then spent a further 3 HOURS the following evening carefully stripping it down to remove the cables I needed. Yawn

I feel I am going to end up repeating myself as I need to do a proper write up but I hope this helps for now!

Andy.

Post #6168198th Mar 2010 11:06 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

AJ Bow down , great job Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #6168238th Mar 2010 11:20 am
ajsms999

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks Andy,

I look forward to your more detailed write up, In the mean time I will try to locate the DVD changer and RSE module.

Regards
Andrew

Post #6169078th Mar 2010 1:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hensoni

United Kingdom 

Great mod! I look forward to the write-up 'cos I really can't decide what to do with the FL2 headrests that Nick sold me...

CWS - now there's a name from the past! The last time I went there, I had a Viva HA. They had an old BT yellow HA van at the bottom of a 5 car high pile and I needed it's pedal box. H & S would have a headfit!

Post #61820210th Mar 2010 6:24 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Although i may well have been responsible for developing the capability to modify the Disco 3's CCF that makes this sort of thing possible at all, and having done a few deep upgrades and provided a few of my own demonstration posts, demonstrating the capability of our own equipment do the sort of upgrading stuff that as ajsms999 notes was once widely regarded as totally impossible.

However It's about as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike without owners like you being inspired and motivated to take advantage of the fact that we have totally removed the technical barrier that prevented them from doing all this sort of thing for themselves, and just even more fantastic that people like our Hero Wiggs, provides such a level of service that means you don't have to even buy one of our systems to do it. Bow down Bow down Bow down

It is therefore especially heart warming for me to read such threads where someone has been so inspired to undertake such acts, that goes to highlight even more, the now endless upgrade possibilities and hopefully provides further inspiration to all.

So it is with utmost sincerity that get to take a back seat and can say, well done Ajay, nice one, and you beat me to it and thanks for posting it up Bow down

In my case, I have purchased an FL2 Kit from TLO as well, which is hardly surprising given the excellent value.
however i have not installed it, as although it's a great stand alone option for the rear, i really would like something more OEM and integrated like the OEM RSE system.

Indicating the value in TLO's kit, I note from memory the main components and rough new costs in GBP for the D3 RSE as being
2 x rear screens about 700 each
2 x seat frames with integral wiring to screens about 140 each
2 x sets of headrest covers foam's, mounting tray and bezels about 50 each
2 x Infra red headphones about 50 each
1 x RSE ECU about 140
1 x DVD unit about 900 (exchange i think so maybe plus surcharge)
1 x remote about 60
1 x sundry mounting brackets about 20
1 x RSE loom, megabucks probably but i was hoping to lash something up Very Happy

I made a start and got a couple of new screens from that well known auction site for about 140 IIRC, i figure the remote and head phones would pop up in due time if i get chance to look, and all the other bits are not so bad except the DVD, but i read you dropped lucky there.

So i really do look forward more than most to reading your write up and learning where you got all your bits from.

You might just be able to teach an old dog some new tricks although now i guess i have some new bidding competition Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #61837610th Mar 2010 9:50 pm
Ajay(UK)

Wow! Thanks BBS SPY, How much do I owe you for those kind words Embarassed

No pressure on the write up then Shocked My DVD & RSE brackets only arrived yesterday so I will be fitting these in their correct location this weekend rather than loose in the boot Rolling Eyes and then I should be in a position to cobble together some kind of report. I will try and include pictures, part numbers, wiring info and approximate costs etc. My wife thinks I should offer to supply and fit this for others but I'm not so sure thats a good idea Laughing

Andy.

Post #61844710th Mar 2010 10:48 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Seeing as you have knowledge of the right wiring bits (and someone has probably been down the breakers to rip out what's left and available form any other cars) its not such a ridiculous idea to come up with a loom. If you can work out the connectors and pin changes on the Alpine unit you can probably use an off the shelf version as well. Although from memory the Alpine DVD changer was $$$ anyway!

Post #61851510th Mar 2010 11:34 pm
Ajay(UK)

Working out the pinout connections isn't really the problem, it's finding the right connectors Confused There is also little point in trying to use a branded Alpine DHA-S680 as these fetch more money than the LR unit Shocked

If anyone can find a source for these Alpine cables then making a custom loom would be very easy but I dont believe Land Rover have separate part numbers for them and I was told that if there was a problem with any aspect of the ICE loom such as a faulty cable to one of the screens LR would just replace the whole loom rather than run one replacement cable Rolling Eyes

RSE Module Connectors:

Click image to enlarge

DVD Connectors:

Click image to enlarge

Andy.

Post #61884111th Mar 2010 11:32 am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Ok left to right you have

2 pin power Molex connector, Svideo connector, in/out I don't reconise, Alpine AI-Net in/out connections, and the last one is optical MOST bus Shocked

Its the MOST that's the pain in the **** as its fibre optic, special termination to cut an polish blah blah connectors blah blah. I think your right.

The Alpine is just standard 4 pin Molex for power, Alpine AI and a toslink optical lead on the right.

Interestingly it seems that the Ai-Net connection from the RSE unit (NOT the one to the changer) must go to the head unit in the dash as a bus control for the changer. Means head unit is made by Alpine (which I knew from an article in LRO or somewhere previously) and could maybe take a CD changer as well, but I bet its the audio feed into the system thats a problem as its MOST from the RSE it seems.

Wonder where the optical out from the changer goes, as its not into the RSE.

I think the only workable solution would be to get someone in the factory to identify the loom to TLO so we can all order them, but I bet its a few hundred quid if it has the MOST optical line in it.

The cheapest option seems to be find an RRS owner with RSE and wait for them to crash, should not take long... Laughing

Post #61885811th Mar 2010 11:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >