Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Problem & solution to my D3s poor MPG & Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
MrH

United Kingdom 
Problem & solution to my D3s poor MPG & Performance

Finally got around to stripping down the D3 this weekend and where the OEM intercooler is normally I found a clay brick Laughing
Click image to enlarge

So out it comes:
Click image to enlarge

It’s current lying in water having a good soak prior to being gently washed out.

As this isn’t the first time I’ve had to clean the intercooler (link here), and then it’s not a perfect clean, I decided to fit an Allisport High Mount intercooler to replace the OEM one.

The product is great, but the DIY fitting instructions are Censored , they don’t tell you what parts are required or what other parts need to be removed or relocated. As a result, I was put in the not too pleasant position of having a D3 in bits on the drive only to find I had a box with the intercooler, 2x silicon elbow connections, blanking plate and 2x lower mounting bracket plates, but was missing the fitting kit, which should include Evil or Very Mad :
- 2x connection pipes,
- 4x M6 bolts & nylon nuts,
- 6x M6 washers,
- 4x 50-70mm Jubilee clips.

Thanks to PaganUK, I managed to get them in time for me to complete the work this weekend and MrsH have a car for Monday Bow down

So next I removed the plastic air cowling to make room for the new intercooler, again not mentioned in the instructions and it was a case of undoing two not very easy to reach screws from behind, one either side of the radiator, then pulling it out.
Click image to enlarge

Then I installed the blanking plate where the original unit was and fitted the new intercooler in place - you need to drill two 6mm holes in the diagonal braces:
Click image to enlarge

Notice the mounting bracket plates are one piece – I had to cut these into strips because we have the winch and that inserts into the vertical slots.
Click image to enlarge

Next connect the original hoses to the new intercooler pipes with the short straight connections and elbows:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then refit the bumper
Click image to enlarge

Straighten the bracket from the Hi-tone horn and fix to the right-hand diagonal brace, like so:
Click image to enlarge

The ambient air temp sensor also needs to be repositioned, I fitted to the back of the steel bump next to the Winch solenoid box – it needs to be out of direct air current to avoid getting false readings due to the wind-chill factor.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Edited: My thanks to TFC and AndrewS for some telephone technical advice re parts removal procedure and fitting kit content Bow down

Last edited by MrH on 4th Jul 2010 8:46 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #6680674th Jul 2010 4:24 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

That certainly looks a much more sensible inter-cooler. I'd like to hear how you get on with running on hot days as it will reduce by quite a bit the cooling of water in the radiator, but the D3 is perhaps a bit overcooled (for non-tropical users anyway) by design.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #6680804th Jul 2010 5:04 pm
lad

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nice job! I see you had your own intercooling too. The can of beer Laughing

Post #6680894th Jul 2010 5:28 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

That's probably still in there!! Good job Matthias, better than my feeble attempt to hose mine down with bumper in place. Embarassed

Post #6680934th Jul 2010 5:37 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

All cans removed prior to final assembly Laughing

Post #6681214th Jul 2010 6:56 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Very Well done, and a write up some can follow.....Keep us informed on your findings over the standard, as its something I may consider after deciding mines for the long haul now

Post #6681244th Jul 2010 7:02 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Cheers.

I don't have any issues/concerns re performance and quality as I've had an Allisport intercooler previously on a 300TDi and I also based my commitment to purchase on AndrewS's information and experience. Unfortunately this experience was a little soared by my experience on the support received from Allisport themselves on ringing them to ask, politely, about the fitting kit. As apposed to the "oh sorry, we'll get the kit ready for you to collect" I got, "well what do you expect me to do about it, I'm in France at an LR show" Shocked Not quite the customer friendly response I'd expect after spend near £500 with them.

That said, once I made clear who was the customer and what I expected after leaving a considerable amount of readies with them Twisted Evil , I was then told a kit was being made up and would be ready for collection within 30 minutes. Thanks again, to PaganUK for the couriering Thumbs Up

Unfortunately the issue was further soared by the fact that the clips they hurriedly put in the kit were too small and I had to waste further time and effort locating and purchasing the correct sized ones Evil or Very Mad

Post #6681504th Jul 2010 8:44 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Nice one Mr H.......that looks very nice and should be much easier to keep clean in the future.

Any plans to remap it with even more boost (than a "normal" remap) to see how it performs?

Quite dissapointing the fact that half of it was missing and you received that response from them Confused Confused

Thanks for sharing.....definitely one for consideration Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6681544th Jul 2010 8:58 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

No need to remap.

Had her TorqTuned by TFC several years ago Mr. Green

Post #6681604th Jul 2010 9:07 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

But surely you could get Iain to give it even more boost now?

It's just a guess, but if you have a better/more efficient intercooler, you could probably increase the amount of air going in, without the air temperature increasing too much??
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6681684th Jul 2010 9:31 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

top job MrH

can wait to get enough dosh for mine Big Cry

hope you can provide some road test observations some time soon especially on MPGs and pleasure of driving with it

cheers

Post #6687306th Jul 2010 11:16 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

MrH did you get the new IC? I was informed new high mount costs 580+vat + postage?

It is a bit disappointing with the cust service / approach knowing the quality of the product itself.

cheers

Post #67060511th Jul 2010 2:43 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

It's too early to say about fuel consumption changes, but the new IC definitely gives her a fair bit more whooosh Mr. Green

Not sure if it's more than before the OEM IC was new, but certainly better than with the OEM claybrick.

BTW - the claybrick has now been cleaned - after 3 days soaking in water I gently rinsed it out, removed embedded twiggs and Censored from the vanes and will be putting it up for sale; so anyone wanting to do similar and swap out a clogged OEM IC, but not go for the expense of an Allisport unit, - offer me £85 and you can have my old one Mr. Green

Post #67080611th Jul 2010 10:55 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Matthias - how easy is it to remove the bumper bar and get the intercooler out ? Just a few more bolts to undo ?

I took off my bumper cover etc yesterday to get a good look at the IC and it looked okay. But I'm thinking I should actually remove it for a good soak as well.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #67084112th Jul 2010 7:29 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

You obviously need to remove bumper & Mantec plate, but also the little OEM front bashplate and two side ones which protect the radiator:

- The middle one is a metal plate and once you've removed the mantec is only held in by two 10mm bolts at the front - BTW this is the plate with the captive nuts which the rear mantec plate bolts go into, so it's a good opportunity to check these and clean them up.

- The two outer radiator guards are held in, each with 4 plastic fastners

- Now undo the two little plastic clips which are at the back of the bottom part of the IC locating it to a plastic tab on the radiator:

- You then undo the two hose-clips

- Remove the two plastic fastners which lock the IC to the bottom of radiator (push plastic centre pin out first, the the plastic plug Wink ),

- Bend back the rear tab of the IC fixing bracket and the IC pulls out forwards tilting it upwards as you go.

- Refit in reverse order Very Happy

Make sure you seal the in/out pipes on the IC before soaking it - you don't want water ingress nor the oilly residue dripping everywhere - I found a surgical glove and two cable/zip ties on each pipe work really well for this Laughing

Post #67086512th Jul 2010 9:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >