Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

TDV6 timing belt - How To...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 34 <123 ... 151617 ... 323334>
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey I believe has some oil pumps from Citroen (same part). Thumbs Up Or you could pay an extortionate price from a LR dealer. I'm really glad I got mine from Nick at Yeovil when it was about £ 80. odd.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #167007820th Jun 2016 10:57 am
John Andre Ognheim

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

mickemic wrote:
Just got an email from Ian at AF, and they don't sell the oil pump. Anyone else who do? It is still more or less critical to change it, right?

I found one on ebay, but I'd prefer to buy it from someone here.

I bought mine from ebay, whan i was in UK lately.

But u can buy directly from Citroen sweden i guess... part no: 1001G2 In norway, its about 2400 NOK for that pump. Shouldnt be more expensive in sweden

Post #167008220th Jun 2016 11:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mickemic

Sweden 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Thanks! It's almost twice the ebay price, though, but I'll look into it.

Post #167008420th Jun 2016 11:05 am
John Andre Ognheim

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Bought from this seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-LAND-R...020045411?

Post #167012920th Jun 2016 12:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 

little embarrassing but I am having a problem with replacing the timing belt on my RRS 2.7. I've done everything according to this how-to, decided to opt for the paint blob instead of the crankshaft locking kit. Absolutely nothing has moved, blobs of paint are all lining up perfectly. However this morning I went to turn the engine manually, clockwise, and after a few wrench turns I hit a wall. I am assuming the worst, that for some reason the timing has been lost somewhere along the way. Can anyone give me some advice? Thx.
I have posted this on the RRS forum, but thought it best I wrote directly on the how-to in case more people can come to my aid Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #171919113th Oct 2016 10:55 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Buy the timing kit, and start again...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #171920513th Oct 2016 11:41 am
dutchviking

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi. Not to worry. In line with what Disco Mikey just wrote you do need to lock the crankshaft by removing the startmotor. Lock the camshafts, the pins should be properly inserted. When both camshafts are locked and with start motor removed the crankshaft locking pin should be placed in the first timing hole (there are several). Then install the belt and tensioner, put the belt on to the right cam wheel and while keeping its notches pressed into the cam sprockets turn the right cam wheel Counter Clock Wise. Then turn the left cam wheel fully clock wise (as far as the pin let you) and apply the timing belt onto the left cam wheel sprockets. While holding the belt turn the cam wheel CCW and guide the belt over the tensioning wheel. In this way you remove unwanted slack from the belt. Now fasten the tensioner so the arrow is well into its window. Now fasten the cam wheel bolts, remove cam pins and crankshaft locking pin and turn the belt 2 full turns and place 3 locking pins. When these fit you are good to go.

Post #171921213th Oct 2016 12:04 pm
woody32
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 LR3 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I've got a kit if you need it save buying it,did you undo the main centre crank bolt and did you lock the cams with drill bits or pins.

If you didn't touch the main crank bolt which you shouldnt of unless doing oil pump and you didn't lock your cams then the cams will be your issue.

Where in Devon are you. Thumbs Up
 Wanted D4s non runners pm for competitive price.
IID Pro MV License - D3/4 RRS - Enabling, Updates,Transmission flushing.
Mobile or workshop,PM for details.

Last edited by woody32 on 13th Oct 2016 1:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #171921513th Oct 2016 12:09 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Are you using a big wrench?

Obviously the compression stops it turning easily at certain points.

If you manage to turn it several revs then recheck the tensioner is still alligned

Post #171923113th Oct 2016 12:27 pm
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 

Mikey I see you replied on the RRS forum but I'll keep the discussion running here on the main timing belt thread. In response to your question "Did you mark the crank AND lock the cams? EDIT: does it come to a "hard" stop, or are you fighting against the engine compression? Let's just make sure"

I marked the crank and this hasn't moved, I didn't touch the main crank bolt, plus I locked the cams with locking pins and the cams/pins didn't move, this is what is very strange. Nothing has moved. The only thing I can think of it that when I undid the cam bolts (with the locking pins in place) the cams may have moved, but nothing that I noticed.
when I started to turn the engine it was a dead stop after several wrench turns, I did notice some engine compression before this and found it a bit tougher to turn, but then hit a wall.

I do have the locking kit, this came with the timing belts, so I'll go ahead and remove the starter motor to lock the crankshaft.

woody32 I'm in Honiton, whereabouts are you?

Last edited by tanloverluke on 13th Oct 2016 1:03 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #171924113th Oct 2016 12:50 pm
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 

Pete K wrote:
Are you using a big wrench?

Obviously the compression stops it turning easily at certain points.

If you manage to turn it several revs then recheck the tensioner is still alligned

Yep big wrench and just tried to give it some welly now, but it's definitely come to a stop. Won't budge. Also checked the tensioner and it's still aligned perfectly. Big Cry

Post #171924513th Oct 2016 1:02 pm
Glenn of Belgium

Belgium 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Did You do any other works on the engine besides the timing belt, that can block the engine?

Dit the camshaft locking pins fully came out without breaking into their holes?

Is the engine in Neutral, unclutched?

It is maybe basic .... but we are only human Idea

Post #171926113th Oct 2016 1:50 pm
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 

dutchviking wrote:
Hi. Not to worry. In line with what Disco Mikey just wrote you do need to lock the crankshaft by removing the startmotor. Lock the camshafts, the pins should be properly inserted. When both camshafts are locked and with start motor removed the crankshaft locking pin should be placed in the first timing hole (there are several). Then install the belt and tensioner, put the belt on to the right cam wheel and while keeping its notches pressed into the cam sprockets turn the right cam wheel Counter Clock Wise. Then turn the left cam wheel fully clock wise (as far as the pin let you) and apply the timing belt onto the left cam wheel sprockets. While holding the belt turn the cam wheel CCW and guide the belt over the tensioning wheel. In this way you remove unwanted slack from the belt. Now fasten the tensioner so the arrow is well into its window. Now fasten the cam wheel bolts, remove cam pins and crankshaft locking pin and turn the belt 2 full turns and place 3 locking pins. When these fit you are good to go.

Thanks dutchviking! I started with placing the belt on the crank, then going anti-clockwise. Just a thought, if my cams are the source of the problem, how do I ensure that they are correctly re-timed (or re-synced) to the crank? At the moment I'm assuming that as my crankshaft didn't move, instead it was the cam(s). Thx

Post #171926213th Oct 2016 1:52 pm
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 

Glenn of Belgium wrote:
Did You do any other works on the engine besides the timing belt, that can block the engine?

Dit the camshaft locking pins fully came out without breaking into their holes?

Is the engine in Neutral, unclutched?

It is maybe basic .... but we are only human Idea

no other work whatsoever and I turned the crank when the car was in neutral. The locking pins came out fine, the right one was easy to pull out whilst the left one was a little tight though not problematic to remove. I'm off to pics up the son soon and then on my back to remove the starter Evil or Very Mad

Post #171926613th Oct 2016 1:59 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

THere is a grommet above the starter where the tool goes.

You will probably have to file the tool down to fit it Rolling Eyes

Post #171940513th Oct 2016 6:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 16 of 34 <123 ... 151617 ... 323334>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >