Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 GS SATNAV UPGRADE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Phillw

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
D4 GS SATNAV UPGRADE

I received from Equicar today a new satnav screen and updated CD-radio for my D4. I have the GS and looking to retrofit Premium ICE. Any comments or helpful advice would be gratefully received. I believe that I will require a new Amp. Anyone got a spare D4 premium amp? I have also now received front dashboard loom and front Ice Loom. Do I replace the loom or just strip out the wires I need? CCF will need to be configured. I need a MSV2 but have to get all the parts first. Anyone in the Gloucestershire area got a MSV2 (Multi vehicle). I am sure that this must be a desirable option for all us D4 GS owners. I have put some pictures of the parts I have including the loom in my gallery. Some of the pictures in my gallery have an explanation against them as to where the connectors connect to. As I am unsure of all connections some of the connectors require an explanation as to where they connect to. The ICE Loom in particular. I have put numbers against connectors so that they can be referenced. Can anybody help with that? Has anybody else got as far as this in terms of retrofitting the satnav on the D4 or indeed purchased the parts to do this? Lots of questions. I will try and document this as I go which I will then put on the site for everybody to reference. Anyway Just wanted to say that the service I received from Equicar was second to none, parts arrived extremely well packed and were exactly as they had described. By the way they still had one D4 screen left.

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Last edited by Phillw on 2nd Oct 2010 6:48 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #6991742nd Oct 2010 2:52 pm
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have a MSV2 with a D4 MVL if that helps?

Post #6991782nd Oct 2010 3:14 pm
Phillw

Hello buellbeast,
Thank you for replying. I do not know what changes would be required in my CCF. No one else as far as I am aware has done this yet. Do you know what changes in the CCF- MSV software are required to get the satnav activated? I believe that there is a customer forum on the Blackbox solutions site that may hold the answer to that question. Do you live in the South west or Midlands? When I have actual fitted the components into the car would you mind if I give you a bell to discuss this further. I do not expect to fit the parts in the next couple of weeks as I still need to find the premium amp. I am not sure that I need the DVD player in the boot of the car but I am sure that I will need other components. GPS module for instance.
Thank you for offer of help. Thumbs Up

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #6991852nd Oct 2010 3:38 pm
Phillw

D3 Amp in a D4

Does anybody know if a D3 Harman Kardon premium Amplifier will work in a D4? Is the wiring the same? I have been offered XQK500105 premium amplifier from a D3 but I am not sure if this will work in a D4.
Thanks.

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #7013978th Oct 2010 6:37 pm
Phillw

I have now stripped out the wiring that I need for the SATNAV from the loom I received from Equicar. Below is a photo showing the connectors. I now feel that this is an achievable project. It would be nice to get some more feedback from some of the other members, 240 views and one reply. I am sure that I will at some time get stuck with the electronics. Anybody that can help it would be appreciated. I am being to wonder if I am the only guy who has a GS!!! Whistle Should have gone for the XS but you can't retrofit a panoramic roof etc and keep the cost down. Anyway photo below. Does anybody know if you can fit D3 Amp in to D4?

Click image to enlarge

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #70184810th Oct 2010 10:02 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya PhillW
Got your PM request for help and assistance, Thumbs Up
Sorry i had not noted this thread before, but not being a D4 owner or having much hands on experience with such, don't really get here often.

Anyway i am here now and glad to assist if i can with what i know. Thumbs Up

Your main current problem and question seems to be with the Logic 7 Amp.
There is of course no guarantees, but if it were me, i would go for the D3 one.
When first introduced the D4 seemed like a complete revamp over the D3 in all aspects, and in some ways it is, however we are now all discovering that so much remained unchanged.

No one can guarantee anything of course, but i for one certainly do not believe that the Logic 7 implimentation of providing 2 x 50 watts to each front door, 1 x 50 watts to each rear door, 1 x 50 watts to each rear D piller speaker, 2 x 50 watts to the tailgate mounted passive sub woofer and finally 1 x 50 watts to the dash mounted centrhe speaker has changed, and as such neither would the MOST connected Amplifier needed to be changed, and as such has not been.

Hope this helps

Post #70199410th Oct 2010 8:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Phillw

Hello Colin,
Thank you for the reply. I probably could ask you a thousand and one questions about retrofitting the Satnav but I am sure you have a home life too. Very Happy I took the gamble and purchased the D3 amp today. My real concern about this was if the screen – DVD would talk to the amp through the canned bus – MOST. Well we will soon find out. Interestingly the DVD connections have 4 green pairs of wires that I believe are the speaker wires. Picture below.

These four wires end up at the amplifier I think. I really need to disconnect the car battery and do some continuity checks to establish where each of the wires go. Picture of D4 Low line Amplifier below.

My intention is to re route the speaker wires through the Logic 7 amp. I fortunately have managed to find from the forum a D3 pdf that describes the pinouts for the Logic 7 amp. I really could do with a similar pdf for the D4. That would be a big help. I have been reading with interest your L322 infotainment upgrade and find the Logic 7 amp stuff really helpful. Thank you once again for your help.

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #70202810th Oct 2010 8:43 pm
Phillw

I am after the electrical drawings for the Radio / DVD /Amplifier for the D4. I need to get a better understanding of what the pin outs are for the connectors that plug into these points. Would it be possible for any member that has these drawings to either post them on the forum or send me them. Any electrical format would be appreciated. EG DXF, DWG, PDF etc. Thank you Thumbs Up

I have been working at Turbo Technics this week. They offer a Turbo repair / exchange program for most cars. Based in Northampton. Anybody having problems with their Turbo or need a new turbo may what to speak to these guys. I know some members have already used their services. Whistle

buellbeast I have sent you a PM. Thumbs Up

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #70423516th Oct 2010 11:51 am
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If you still need wireing diagrams give me a email bellautos AT hotmail DOT com

Also if you dont mind, can you tell me how much you paid for the nav and cd player ?

Pete

Post #70704522nd Oct 2010 6:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Phillw

Hi,
Please could somebody confirm the position of my phone module in the attached picture? This is a D4 GS. The original phone module can be seen on the floor. The new module can be seen in what I believe to be the correct position. I am replacing the original as it has no support for MOST. So to get the phone to work with new satnav (MOST bus) I need to change the module. I would be grateful if anybody can put a picture on to the forum of a D4 XS or above showing the phone module in position. More pictures in my gallery.
Thank You.

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #71958422nd Nov 2010 8:28 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

D4 HSE

tv , dab and bluetooth

G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #71959122nd Nov 2010 8:38 pm
Phillw

Thank You Wiggs.
Next step is to start fitting the wiring. I am still struggling with connectors. In particular Tyco pins that fit speaker connector (C0491, C0492) at the amplifier. I have the plastic shrouds but no pins. Looked at both RS spares and Farnell but I cannot find the exact pin. Picture below if anyone can help.

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #71961722nd Nov 2010 9:16 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I may have some pins but really need to see one in the flesh.

How many do you need ?

Pete

Post #71972022nd Nov 2010 11:12 pm
Phillw

Hello Pete,
The green connector with the wires coming out of them are from the Amp. These speaker wires with the Tyco pins on are the pins I am after. The Yellow/Blue and Yellow/White are canned bus leads that were in the green shroud to the left of the green connector in the picture above on the donor vehicle. The canned bus leads were I believed used as a link (loop) and have a smaller Tyco pin on than the green connector. Both pins fit the green shroud. All these wires / Connectors were from a D3 donor vehicle. My intention is to plug the green Male connector into the amp. The wires from the amp will then connect to the green female shroud into which I will plug my original speaker wires in to. This will allow me to manipulate the wire pin outs as necessary and introduce new speakers for the Logic 7 amp. I would be looking for at least 20 pins. Two for each speaker. I would of course pay for the pins. If it is okay with you I can send you one of the yellow wires and one of the green/white wires. I hope that makes sense.
Thank You

Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS
Discovery 3 TDV6 S
Discovery 2 TD5
2009 Swift Conqueror
MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #72011823rd Nov 2010 8:24 pm
fcb1230

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hi Wiggs

Without wishing to detract from the topic of this thread, is there any way I can fit a DAB into my D£ without using the Pure Highway or the DAB ICS? I noticed it was on the image you posted above. I haven't fitted the BT unit you supplied yet, it's going in this weekend.

Post #72012223rd Nov 2010 8:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >