Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

my shopping list ..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
my shopping list ..

Ok Chaps , here we go I’m putting my final list together for my first serious mods to the D3 in an effort to increase BHP.

I want more power from the lump for the following reason , I feel that the TDV6 Motor is very much lacking in the low end and in general the pickup is crap (my view here) . I sometime find and like other have found my self in situations where the
drop off in power results in a situation where it is almost dangerous, classic case here is at a roundabout where you approach in 3rd (I have a manual) at say 20/30kms ,
you decide to make a go for it , drop the foot and nothing , then a big panic
dropping to second and trying to drag you Censored around. also when over taking the
pull from 4th to 5th before the power comes on is lacking. I find myself almost planning the maneuver before I do it , do I drop a gear , what’s my RPM .... I just find it to much work, Don’t get me wrong I do like the TDV6 its the most refined block I have every had and when the power does come on it is great., but my God LR
need to look at this . never driven the Auto does it act the same as the manual
any one agree with me ?

In my efforts to try and improve this I have decided on the following .
ECU remap by Turbochip , (Turbochip because I want a true remap and not a bolt on/ piggy back unit) , and also Christyler is a hours drive away

performance filter , I asked a question on this forum before , did anyone do a induction kit for the TDV6 and I got no response. So I’m guessing that the answer is know and I cant find any . so my only option is to toss the oem filter for a performance one , my question here is K&N or ITG , any views here ?

Exhaust ... as well as the extra performance from this unit , the boy racer in me wants the chrome and extra noise. my choices here are the Kahn's setup
or the tornado setup from twisted performance . Love to hear from any one with the Kahn system.

Also does any one know of any one doing any work/development on a performance manifold for the TDV6, Not that I’m considering this at this point
I would just love to see some data.

Any one with any other ideas ? comments ? , love to hear from you.

Cheers again Lads.

Barry

8)

Post #769199th Aug 2006 1:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bigboot

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Barry,
I can recommend Turbochip upgrade, got mine done as soon as it was run in and haven't looked back since, lack of grunt @ low revs is not an issue!
I have heard the exhaust sysytem on Chris Tyler's D3 and it does sound like a V8 ! You are welcome to take mine for a spin if you like.

Regards,
John.

Post #769539th Aug 2006 9:10 am
BarryG

Hi There John , nice to meet you and thanks for you offer of a drive.
I'm currently arranging a TC with Chris and cant wait to get it , I drove a JE
tuned D3 two weeks ago in the UK and loved it .. so i have some idea what a remap can do..

Looking forward to hearing Chris's pipes.... I let you know how I get on

Cheers again mate.

Barry

Post #7720310th Aug 2006 1:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have T/C & ITG filter, fitted at the same time. As such I can't really comment on the ITG filter, but the combination made a huge improvement. I doubt the filter makes a sensational difference, but in theory should help & at c.£50 was a reasonable gamble.
I'm also interested in hearing more from anyone who has fitted a bigger bore exhaust system.
The easier it is for the TDV6 to breathe the better the mpg should be, as well as a few extra ponies.

Post #7736010th Aug 2006 4:18 pm
Baldrick

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Barry,

I have D3 on order delivering October. Who is Chris Tyler and where is he based? Do you know if TC affects the warranty?

Regards
 2007 MY Irish spec S+ TDV6  
Post #7877216th Aug 2006 3:36 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Barry,

Has your had the enhancement program done yet ? I found the drop off in revs between gears was completely gone and the engine response is now predictable.

Not a power upgrade like TC but a very noticeable difference and perceived tune up.

-s

Post #7880616th Aug 2006 10:01 am
BarryG

Hi Baldrick.. Chris Tyler is the approved (I checked with head office) Turbochip
representative here in ireland , his number is 086 8135318.

Not to sure on the Warranty issue,

Hi Simon. Yes I had the enhancement done just after the first service,
it did improve things a bit , but I was still not happy about the drop off in power
I decided to wait until I had the engine run before I went after sorting this out. she is now at 10K and I had her turbochiped last Saturday...

Post #7882216th Aug 2006 11:17 am
zebadee

Ireland 

There seems to be another “approved” dealer in Ireland at www.turbochip.net based up in Co. Cavan.

Saw their van down around Cork last weekend. Isn’t that Chris Tyler’s territory ??

Post #7889416th Aug 2006 2:02 pm
BarryG

One week on and my quest for more power is coming along.

Last Saturday , I had the pleasure of a Visit From Chris Tyler (cheers again Chris)
and got the TDV6 Turbochiped , this has totally transformed the motor , it pulls better , I have more confidence now when overtaking and I'm getting better MPG.

Chris is a really nice Guy and I would recommend him to any of the Irish lads
thinking about going this way ,

To others considering this , Just do it ........... better performance , better MPG ,
and in my case more power when you need it during over taking .

Also last Friday , I purchased The Kahn Quad performance exhaust 8)
I went for the Kahn system for a finish because I just liked the idea of 4 tail pipes
and I think it really looks nice on the back of the d3 . some might say a bit "bling" ,
but hay , I'm a bling type of guy . the exhaust is due this week so , once fitted
I'll pop up some pics.

Also (this has been a great week ) I got a set Landrover side steps , bought them of Chris , they came of his D3, a small bit cutting required to fit them but had them on in a hour and they look great . I'm thinking "A" bar will be the next thing to stick on Shocked

Just loving this D3..... 8)

Barry

Post #7956620th Aug 2006 12:57 pm
BarryG

KAHN Exhaust arrived today.... 8)

Watch this space........

Post #8021823rd Aug 2006 3:56 pm
BarryG

KAHN Exhaust ... Just fitted...

Looks the "dogs" , Sounds the "dogs".... purrs like a cat..

Very impressed so far..

Post #8063325th Aug 2006 3:58 pm
steveho

United Kingdom 

Any engine power upgrades will invalidate your warranty-notably engines and transmissions will no longer be covered

Post #8084927th Aug 2006 4:19 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Even some dealers offer the TurboChip remap as an option.

BarryG wrote:
KAHN Exhaust ... Just fitted...

Looks the "dogs" , Sounds the "dogs".... purrs like a cat...

Come on, then.... Where's the pics? Very Happy
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #8085427th Aug 2006 7:19 pm
BarryG

PICS of Exhaust and side steps

Here you go.... what do you thnk ?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #823623rd Sep 2006 10:53 pm
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

zebadee wrote:
There seems to be another “approved” dealer in Ireland at www.turbochip.net based up in Co. Cavan.

Saw their van down around Cork last weekend. Isn’t that Chris Tyler’s territory ??

Yes that is correct, i think they only deal with the trucks and tractors.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #823744th Sep 2006 12:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >