DISCO3.CO.UK > North America & LR3/4

Used Discovery 3/ LR3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
miracLe

geotrash wrote:
miracLe wrote:
MacLeod 313 wrote:
If you are getting one as graduation present I would'nt care about the realiability...........I am sure Mummsy and Daddy will bank role it for you..................... Evil or Very Mad

Parents only plan on paying for it, they won`t pay for insurance and such. I wish they did. Big Cry

Miracle-

I'm going to commit heresy on this board but I don't give a $hit -- it's good advice Smile I was in a little different situation- paid for my college myself and had a few bucks in my junior year to finally buy a car, but it makes no difference really. Once it's yours, you still have to feed it. You are in a very good position with some excellent advantages. Don't squander that cash on a Land Rover at 18 if you have to pay for the upkeep yourself. It will eat you alive on a college budget and will spend most of it's time in the parking lot waiting for the checking account to build back up for the next thousand worth of repairs. Hey, they're great trucks, but cheap to run they ain't. They're designed for the budget of an experienced professional several years out of school, both in new/used purchase price and in upkeep costs...which you will eventually be. Parts are expensive and there are lots of things to go wrong.

If I were in your spot, I'd go out and get an early 2000s 4Runner or an XTerra with 100K on the clock for less than 10 grand, spend a couple grand on a kickin' stereo, a roof rack, camping gear, and a night on the town with my favorite girl, and still have 7 grand left over to put down on a sweet LR4 or Range Rover Sport when I landed my first great job.

Dave

Thanks for the advice, I have some thinking to do. I have no problem doing routine maintenance, because I used to work at an Oil Change Shop, so I how to do the minor things, but the major things not so well. I am trying to soak in as much information on vehicles I am looking at. So I can base my decision on the information I have gained.
 Future LR3 owner, from the swamps of Louisiana  
Post #7116573rd Nov 2010 7:49 pm
SoCal LR3

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Alaska WhiteLR3

unfortunately, here in the US we don't get the diesel engine so you are left with getting the 4.0L V6 (straight from the ford parts bin) or the 4.4L V8 (straight from the jaguar parts bin). the V6 is cheap but a little underpowered. the V8 is adequate but you won't mistake it for an M5.

if i were you i would find a low mile '05 or '06 five seater, preferably something still under warranty. from there, get the V8 if you can, get the HD package if you can, get the HSE if you can. however, $20k is going to be tight to find something with decent mileage. if you find that the only LR3s in your price range are the absolutely cheapest ones out there, you might be asking for trouble. just something to think about.

Post #71658016th Nov 2010 6:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >