Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Bluetooth OBD live view
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Bluetooth OBD live view

OK, a BIG thanks to DrLex who pointed me at the Bluetooth OBD ELM 327 (see below). This arrived today after a good few weeks on order from far away, I downloaded the Torque app on the android system to my HTC phone, plugged in the OBD, turned on the phone and bluetooth, connected using bluetooth code 6789 (this is important as they don't tell you this and it took some digging around to find) and BINGO, all revealed on my HTC.

Still playing around but gave a little rev for the pic below, will update later Wink

Found a video here of what I can expect:

Costs:
OBD ELM327 Bluetooth USD$26.03 http://www.dealextreme.com/p/obdii-bluetoo...-12v-42825

Torque software £2.99 http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applica..._flre.html

HTC phone, found in a drawer Laughing

Post #7569215th Feb 2011 2:07 pm
TwelveSticks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My... that looks like fun!
 2001 D2 GS (I must be mad!)
2005 D3 S 10-12 (gone and missed) 

Post #7569385th Feb 2011 2:38 pm
buda

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

thets interesting...can you read and clear fault codes??

Post #7569915th Feb 2011 5:32 pm
Discotres

It's as new to me as it is to anyone else on here who hasn't seen it before. As I said it comes with no instruction manual but plenty on the web, I did read somewhere about clearing codes but will have to check, there are much more informed techi people on here who will no doubt share their experience.

I will have a play and report back further.

*Please Note:

This OBD I have bought is a longish one in length, as the OBD port on the car faces directly down and positioned between the brake and accelerator (on a manual) but at the forward part under the dash, there is not a lot of room to work the pedals, well you can work the pedals but not kick your feet about, so be careful not to knock it. I see that the same place I bought mine from do another shorter version, a bit more expensive but may be easier to work with if you want to operate it while driving.

Also note that the OBD will be using power even when the vehice is off, so better to unplug it rather than face a flat battery on your return Wink

Post #7570025th Feb 2011 5:44 pm
lad

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Wiggs had something like this a couple of years ago, he showed me it but he said it didn't do what he wanted it to do, but it was an app for the iPhone. I suppose it depends what you want to do with it, it would look good if you could place it on the dash whilst driving, but as you say you might kick the device sticking out of the obd socket!

Just looked at the small version, looks like that would not interfere with driving.

Post #7573226th Feb 2011 1:27 pm
Discotres

What wiggs wants and what I want are two different things, I don't have a clue so any gadget like this that shows me anything is a result Laughing

I will check it out in the week and post on here images of what it shows, it does have a section for reading codes and resetting them, not got that far yet but will keep you updated.

What is nice about the software on the android is that you can make each dial small medium or large e.g. one dial per page, or have them in sets, you can also have a digital or graph display mode.

At the end of the day the reviews are fantastic and used by mechanics, apparently it does more on petrol than diesel. As for me I am treating it as a toy/gadget, I will not be getting under the bonnet to play with anything, I just want to try and understand a bit more about what is going on, the engine load readings are interesting, also does EGR and boost pressure plus loads of more stuff.

Check out the videos on youtube and reviews all over the place Wink

Post #7573306th Feb 2011 1:45 pm
lad

Must admit it does look good, only thing is I don't have an android phone Rolling Eyes Nice to see something happening while you drive, more dials and that! Look forward to more pictures and a little review Thumbs Up

Post #7573516th Feb 2011 2:34 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

lad wrote:
Wiggs had something like this a couple of years ago, he showed me it but he said it didn't do what he wanted it to do, but it was an app for the iPhone.

Iphone App - Rev Lite, I have had it for ages too.

Post #7573546th Feb 2011 2:48 pm
JDB

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Im liking this!

Last edited by JDB on 12th Jun 2011 11:58 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7573686th Feb 2011 3:42 pm
Discotres

Just for info I downloaded Rev lite (before investing in the full program) to my iphone and ipad, it would NOT connect to the particular OBD reader I have, so it is either the Apple bluetooth settings or the software. If you google about them make sure that whatever you get has been tested on what you are using, luckily I had an HTC Desire HD lying about with a huge screen, it's perfect to use as a display for this. I am still to set up my laptop to it, it requires a laptop with bluetooth built in or dongle. I have a spare Sony Vaio half size laptop that I will use to fiddle in the car.

I have placed some pictures taken today for info, the only 'live' ones are the first 3 after we set off, you will see the trip distance and the load changes while changing gear, it also shows you other live data available, this particular page of the program is called 'raw data', the other pages on the system are shown after but these are not live but just to show you what comes up. It is interesting to see you can find code faults and reset them, also get a live feed to a database that tells you the fault code diagnoses, not tested that yet but will keep you updated.

There are loads more settings and data, but this is enough to keep me busy, just fascinating watching what your engine is doing live. As I say you can also have the dials one per page, or more, or show the data in graph or digital mode. You don't just need to use when driving along as it gives live data as soon as it s plugged in Wink

Any questions please don't ask as I don't have a clue, just learning myself Laughing

A bit of a waste using an HTC phone just for this, but better than it lying in a drawer, I find the iPhone much easier to use, anyway, I will get a nice windscreen mount for it and off we go Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Discotres on 6th Feb 2011 4:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7573836th Feb 2011 4:19 pm
lad

Looking good Thumbs Up With the apple bluetooth its hit and miss, There is lots of info there, wether you need it all is another thing but still its good to see what the engine is doing. I was wondering if the bluetooth module you had, or the other small one would work with the iphone but looks like it might not do. But, with a bit of faffing with the settings maybe it might do Whistle

Post #7573976th Feb 2011 4:40 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've got Rev Lite on my iPhone, (same as Wiggs had,) I connect using WiFi with the Kiwi device, I don't think bluetooth is supported on Rev.

It works pretty well and is quite responsive but the free version is somewhat limited, (aren't they all,) given that I have no "trouble codes" that need resetting at the mo, I couldn't justify shelling out 30 odd quid for the full version just to get a bit more info.
 Clive

Post #7574146th Feb 2011 5:10 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

i had the full version ( well still have it ) ...but i didn't pay the £30 Whistle
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #7574496th Feb 2011 5:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >