Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

AUX Battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
nikademus

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
AUX Battery

As the proud owner of a new 3-way fridge, I am ready to think seriously about installing a second/aux battery in the space provided near the abs unit. I can see the mounting holes for the necessary battery mount kit - at least I assume that's what they are for.

Can anyone tell me what the part numbers are (or where to find them) for the battery mounting kit?

If anyone could advise on the best harness/battery/fitting method I would also be eternally grateful. I note there are issues with the charging system on the LR3 and would appreciate someone who knows making some suggestions.
 Disco 2 TD5 "Good"
Disco 3 TDV6 "Better"
Disco 4 HSE SDV6 "Best"
The older I get, the better I was. 

Post #8943329th Sep 2006 8:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landlover

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Hi ! Nikademus,

I fitted a Redarc Dual Battery controller/Isolator I think they are available on Ebay, This controller only charges the Aux battery after it has charged your main battery 1st It also isolates itself from the main battery when it has dropped below a certain voltage. Smile

I put a Century 35L battery (I had a deep cycle battery from previous Disco 2 but it wouldnt fit) in the space next to the ABS and 2 long (6mm ?) bolts with a home made clamp on one side at the bottom of the battery, the battery has a flange on each side of the battery the other flange goes under a ledge already in the car. It appears it has been made to take an extra battery. I also installed a couple of circuit breakers.

I only use mine to run a Waeco fridge /freezer in the car. The wiring is only heavy enough to run appliances not to start the car .The circuit breakers are for in case I have a flat main battery so the starter doesnt draw from the Aux battery. I imagine if I couldnt start the car with the main battery I could gain assistance using jumper leads from the Aux Bat.
 D3 TDV6 HSE Atacama Sand previous RRS TDV6, D3 TDV6 SE White, Td5 Disco, td4 Freelander MMCC Sceptic...)
(Climate change ? Whats new ? "The IPCC" Man's new tower of Babel ? 

Last edited by landlover on 30th Sep 2006 8:54 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8956029th Sep 2006 1:37 pm
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Nikademus,
The bolt part numbers are RO-XYG500061 & RO-XYG500051, one is longer than the other. My dealer found the part number for the strap accross the top, but it was a UK order (4-6 weeks) and if it is designed like the one on the main battery it is narrow at the top with a step down (I wanted to fit the largest battery I could). As a result I decided not to order the original strap.

I made my own strap out of mild steel (20mm*3mm) and cold shaped it. All you really need to do this is a heavy vice, a large hammer, some measuring tools, a drill, and files. It took about half an hour.

I installed a Yellow Top D34. It is an expensive deep cycle battery, but it is also better specified than most. It has the highest capacity (55Ah @ 20Hr) from all the deep cycle units I looked at. It is also capable of high current/high voltage fast charging. This means a quicker recovery and, if you check on this forum, you will discover that the Disco3 charge system has the potential to reach voltages around 15.5V

I used Drivesafe's isolator (search for Drivesafe posts on this forum), because it is allegedly the only unit that does not effect the LR warranty. (I was unable to prove this via any documentary evidence). It is also lower cost (<50% of anything else), and it is arguably smarter.
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103 

Last edited by Haggis on 7th Jan 2007 12:43 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8986829th Sep 2006 11:34 pm
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

So - confirming - there is a suitable space in the engine bay for an aux/second battery?

Has anyone perhaps diverted the wiring from the 12V outlet in the rear to an aux battery rather thaqn the main battery - so save rewiring the car??

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #902382nd Oct 2006 1:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamo

Australia 

Simon,

The space under the ABS cover is actually referred to in the workshop manual as being for an aux battery.

You could also mount one in front f the main battery if you wanted to.

When drivesafe has developed his controller for the D3, I might even mount a second aux.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #902402nd Oct 2006 1:55 am
nikademus

I've ordered the Land Rover parts - they had the 2 bolts and the strap in stock in Melbourne and they should be here in a few days. I've also ordered an isolator kit (not Land Rover as there isn't one) from a Queensland firm that have some experience in Disco aux battery set ups.

Now I'm shopping for a suitable battery.
 Disco 2 TD5 "Good"
Disco 3 TDV6 "Better"
Disco 4 HSE SDV6 "Best"

Post #902642nd Oct 2006 8:31 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Jamo wrote:
You could also mount one in front f the main battery if you wanted to.
I'm guessing you guys don't get the FBH over there then? Confused The End  
Post #902732nd Oct 2006 8:52 am
Jamo

Australia 

What's an FBH??
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #903162nd Oct 2006 9:59 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Fuel Burning Heater
 The End  
Post #903182nd Oct 2006 10:00 am
Jamo

Australia 

No. I take it that this goes in front of the main battery box. I've just got a space.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #903222nd Oct 2006 10:03 am
nikademus

I think Land Rover, in their infinite wisdom, decided that a country where it hits 45 degrees celsius on a regular basis doesn't need a booster heater.

An ice machine might be good though...

And I suppose window tint is out of the question???And a decent entry level music system...

and and and .....
 Disco 2 TD5 "Good"
Disco 3 TDV6 "Better"
Disco 4 HSE SDV6 "Best"

Last edited by nikademus on 2nd Oct 2006 12:36 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #903552nd Oct 2006 12:24 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

When I was in Tasmania a few years ago it was blooming freezing, a FBH would definitely have been a bonus!

Window tints are an option

That's the point of 'entry level'
 The End  
Post #903582nd Oct 2006 12:26 pm
nikademus

Tasmania isn't part of Australia - its actually a part of the southern ice pack that broke off and drifted north... curse that global warming!

I agree on the entry level sound system, 'cept in the oz model they didn't give you what it says on the spec sheet and even my last td5 had window tinting standard.
 Disco 2 TD5 "Good"
Disco 3 TDV6 "Better"
Disco 4 HSE SDV6 "Best"

Post #903632nd Oct 2006 12:40 pm
nikademus

OK, I have fitted the Aux Battery, plus the isolater and wired it in. Had to do a bit of reshaping on the battery strap to suit the 55ah Optima Yellow Top I put in - that's max for the space btw, and now I'm ready to run the power back in to the car. I also fitted a little battery monitor - pics when I get back from china.

I can see (i think) the little grommett down past the brake unit that has been suggested as the entry point. My destination is the cargo area drivers side panel where I intend to fit a dual Cigarettte lighter style adapter for Fridge and fluro light.

Has anyone rung wires that far and if so, what's the best course? I was thinking along the door sills, but would appreciate advice.
 Disco 2 TD5 "Good"
Disco 3 TDV6 "Better"
Disco 4 HSE SDV6 "Best"

Post #9411315th Oct 2006 1:33 pm
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Nikademus,
This post might be too late (I have been outback for a month). I ran a large cable from a circuit breaker near the aux battery to the rear right side luggage area. The cable was a 'starter' size cable.

The route/method was as follows.
If you remove the inner plastic guard for the right front wheel you will see a large grommet that has a spare blind nipple on it. You can trim this nipple to size and pass your cable from the engine bay to he underside of the car through it.

I used flexible conduit to contain the cable under the car and routed it with the existing harnesses to the rear of the vehicle. I also picked up existing mounting points for the flexible conduit.

At the rear I removed one of the body grommets and replaced it with a suitable sized glind (cross between a grommet and a cable clamp). The cable passed through this glind providing a water/dust tight seal and a mechanical clamp for the cable. I have a fuse box mounted in the rear, running an inverter (charging cameras etc), refrigerator, and camp lighting. The fuse box is mounted to a storage system (draws/shelves etc) in the rear luggage space.

Hope this helps
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #9735129th Oct 2006 12:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >