DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Can you recommend a family bike rack?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Captain Slow

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Can you recommend a family bike rack?

Hi Guys,
Can anyone recomend a bike rack compatible with the rempvable tow hitch that tilts and gives you access to the boot? it must be able to carry 2 adult bike and 2 small children's bikes and be easy to store when not in use.

cheers
John
 Prince Harry's D3: G4 factory equipped D3 - expo rack, winch, roof lights, ladder, active locking rear diff, RAI, Melville & Moon seat covers, General Grabber ATs/ Goodyear Duratrac  
Post #78948225th Apr 2011 4:10 pm
mattdaniels

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic64300.html

Post #78949025th Apr 2011 4:26 pm
Captain Slow

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Thanks Thumbs Up
 Prince Harry's D3: G4 factory equipped D3 - expo rack, winch, roof lights, ladder, active locking rear diff, RAI, Melville & Moon seat covers, General Grabber ATs/ Goodyear Duratrac  
Post #78949225th Apr 2011 4:45 pm
john ov

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Highly recommend the Mottez 4 bike rack Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #78949825th Apr 2011 5:24 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Not available in EU Sad but a Genuine LR accessory in US: Thule 964 Revolver

Click image to enlarge

Needs quick release square hitch receiver which is available at your local dealer.

Handles 4 bikes of all sizes, swings completely clear of rear of car for boot access, easy to remove (one bolt) from car. Just got one and very happy with it.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #78964226th Apr 2011 1:12 am
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I guess I need to be the first to post the usual warning that the NA receiver system is not Type Approved by Europe, hence we are not supposed to use all these natty accessories that fit the standard square receiver hitch. Therefore should (heaven forbid) you use the rack while travelling and it damages someone else's vehicle (and your bikes) there is a fair chance that your insurer will try and avoid paying out.

Just to keep you informed.
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #78973926th Apr 2011 11:41 am
ruggedpeak

Craig S-L wrote:
I guess I need to be the first to post the usual warning that the NA receiver system is not Type Approved by Europe, hence we are not supposed to use all these natty accessories that fit the standard square receiver hitch. Therefore should (heaven forbid) you use the rack while travelling and it damages someone else's vehicle (and your bikes) there is a fair chance that your insurer will try and avoid paying out.

Just to keep you informed.

On what grounds? The NAS Hitch is supplied as an accessory by UK LR dealers, and there is no requirement for Type Approval or CE marking under my insurance policy for any accessory or bike rack. If an insurer tries this on I'd tell them to Censored off and pay up or I'll be seeking prosecution for fraud of those members of staff who try to get out paying, and sue them for breach of contract.

Type Approval is only relevant for towbars. A NAS Hitch with a bike rack is not a towbar and not involved in towing therefore type approval is irrelevant. I have a LR QR Tow Ball for towing which is approved under EC/94/20.

Remember - insurers know the law, they just lie to you to avoid paying. A reminder of the consequences of being caught lying often works. If they refuse to pay ask them to confirm their advice in writing, taking into account s.2 of the Fraud Act. You'll be surprised how often you get letters back from official bodies and companies who suddenly realise they made a "mistake".
 Tony

Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #78981026th Apr 2011 5:06 pm
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

More than happy to be corrected, as previously the NAS hitch receiver was not available in Europe (many G4 owners had tried to get them fitted/approved as they were used on the 2003 challenge on D2's and FFRR's) and were told the receiver itself was not TA'd).

If they are now approved that opens a whole load of US accessories to the UK, so I expect many more to be offered in the mags soon, which will be good Thumbs Up
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #78987826th Apr 2011 8:01 pm
ruggedpeak

Part number LRO19990 available from any UK LR Dealership inc Nick @ Yeovil. Just over £200 brand new. Hell, the thing is even made in the UK by Thule Thumbs Up

RE insurance, there is no requirement for items to be type approved. Many of the aftermarket mods are not type approved yet do not invalidate insurance, and do not need to be notified unless they affect vehicle performance, handling etc unless the insurance contract specifies this. ALWAYS READ THE POLICY WORDING CAREFULLY. If it doesn't say it you don't have to do it (with in reason). If the insurers want everything on the car to be be TA'd then it must say so. They can't walk away from their liabilities by making stuff up - its a breach of contract.

However whilst a world of off road accessories may open up, I cannot find type approval for the NAS Hitch for use as a towbar. Towing with it would therefore be illegal in the EU, unless anyone knows of a NAS Hitch and tow ball combo that is 92/40 approved.

Using the NAS hitch for off road recovery, winch mounting, bike racks etc will be fine (but be aware most insurers will not cover the accessories themselves in the event of a claim, just repairs to the car).

FYI, in true nonsense bureaucratic style, the Genuine LR NAS hitch for the D2 was type approved for the D2 Commercial but not the normal 5 or 7 seat D2's!!! So a hitch that is legal in the US and Oz and is legal to tow with on a D2 Van in the EU is illegal to use on an identical car with an extra row seats. Utter stupidity that our taxes pay for.
 Tony

Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #78991426th Apr 2011 9:25 pm
Mikeeee30

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Where can you buy the Mottez rack as looks good? Does it fit small children's bikes?
 well why not give it a go what harm can it do!!!  
Post #7917942nd May 2011 10:37 am
john ov

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I brought my Mottez 4 bike carrier from skidrive.co.uk, was the best price I could find at the time.

http://www.skidrive.co.uk/cycle/product_de...o=A018P4RA

It took my 9year old sons bike no problem. Thumbs Up

Hope this helps

Post #7918362nd May 2011 1:09 pm
ajmooseman

I bought my Mottez from Towsure's ebay shop, after reading posts and reviews from this site. Just done Centre Parks Penrith this weekend with mine.

Loaded and on-board the carrier is fantastic, bikes travel very well. First time fitting take's quite a bit of fiddling especially if alone and you are as anal as me in getting the bike to fit perfectly. Second time around 4 bike fitted on to rack already mounted within 10 minutes, again I removed some pedals twisted a set of handle bars, but all for protection of the bikes.

Unload time and rack removal at home super quick.

Rack is well made and the fit to the towball is very very good, Rack is a lot heavier than the demo vid on you tube suggests, which is not a bad thing. the adjustment for the angle on the carrier needs one of the nuts totally removing to fit a detachable towball, again no hassle just time on the first fitting. Oh and number plate board is a little plastic-eeee.

Plenty of straps with the carriers although I also added additional long straps pulling bike down to rack.

Photo's to show how it was loaded.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #7922353rd May 2011 5:14 pm
mattdaniels

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Looks nifty. Does it slide out to allow you access to the boot ?

Post #7922373rd May 2011 5:19 pm
ajmooseman

Vid from Mottez

it tilt's downwards although didn;t try it. Top part of boot open with racj in place but no bikes, shooting brake dose open but doesn't fall fully flat.[/url]

Post #7922453rd May 2011 5:26 pm
daisydolittle

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi there
I've had an altera bike rack for over 5 years on disco 3, it's a fantastic piece of kit.
On a trip to Germany and holland I noticed everyone had this brand and then saw I guy with one on a disco. After chatting with him he showed me how it all worked. The unit is made from a high grade aluminium and attaches on to tow hitch, it can take four adult bikes easily comes with lights etc and is extremely sturdy. Don't have to slow down on motorway with it on either can easily cruise at 85 mph.
But the best bit is with the bikes still on it slides down away from the car and gives full access to boot without having to remove anything.
It is by far the best bike rack around if money is no object as that's it's only pitfall, it's a bit pricey, as back then there was only one importer into uk. Found it much better than the Thule unit.

All the bikes are individually locked in place with a key plus the tow ball, with the straps having some special metal woven through it that can't be cut very easily, so you don't have to worry about them being pinched in the service station.

Can post pictures if interested but I do know that some guy in Germany has posted on YouTube how it all fits onto the disco3 and how it works with bikes on and access to boot.
I paid approx £350 for it 5 years ago and am not sure of current cost or if there's been an update for it, but trust me you wouldn't regret the expensive , mine gets used on a weekly basis all through year to lots of cycling events.

Post #7930125th May 2011 11:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >