DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Bad Report for D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Bad Report for D3

The latest 'Australian 4WD Monthly' has given an SE D3 a bad wrap up. It was in the running for Best 4WD of 2006 along with a Prado 120 Series VX, Landcruiser GXL, Pathfinder ST-L, Grand Cherokee Limited, and a Patrol GU ST-S (all turbo diesel autos 'cept for the manual Patrol).

It had to negotiate Cape York along with the others and was doing very well until the dreaded electrical gremlins surfaced after a creek crossing.

The driver was unable to raise LR Assist even by Satphone so the D3 was dropped from the exercise. It makes interesting reading especially where the writer points out that that sort of reliability would have been very tough on a young family travelling by themselves.

I hope LRA can attend to the reliability perception (or lack thereof in this case) as soon as possible.

I wonder if it had been through the enhancement program before setting off on this fateful journey? Since mine had its done I have had no more dreaded "boings".

Reliability, especially in Australia, will make or break this model Discovery and every effort needs to be made by LRA to ensure that what is otherwise a fine vehicle does not fare badly in the luxury offroad market.

For those old enough to remember, that's my 2 bobs worth.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Last edited by LeighW on 22nd Oct 2006 11:16 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #9288211th Oct 2006 7:19 am
Jamo

Australia 

If it's the same vehicle that all the others have been using, then I'm disapponited that LR have not seen fit to give it the 'once over' every now and then to make sure it's in top condition.

As for LR Assist, I actually managed to raise them on my Satphone once, when my compressor and steering angle sensor failed. They transferred me to the NRMA in Sydney!! Shocked

I think someone(s) needs a rocket!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #9290011th Oct 2006 10:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DickyH

It's not just Australia either. Over here many people in the farming community especially are turning away from the D3 because of the reliability issues. Many of these people were drivers of the series 2 but are now turning to Toyota and, in particular, Mitsubishi.
The D3 seems to sell better here amongst townies who are looking for the image. It's a shame and I agree that Land Rover need to sort it out.

Post #9297811th Oct 2006 1:59 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Still, all the tossers at 4WD monthly needed to do was carry a can of WD40 and sort out a few connectors. Toyota drivers the lot of them. Wouldn't know if their backsides were on fire!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #9298111th Oct 2006 2:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kpmclaren

Jamaica 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Yup....

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/tourists.php

Post #9298311th Oct 2006 2:08 pm
tempestv8

Australia 

That is a very bad result for Land Rover.

The Disco 3 cannot afford to have any negative press about its reliability or the stigma that Land Rovers have poor reliability will continue to perpetuate through the automotive market in Australia.

This is a serious blow for Land Rover.

Post #9299111th Oct 2006 2:27 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

So neither vehicles were hardly abandoned in the wilderness then... Confused
The Disco3 cleared on a reboot and the Jeep got going once cooled down, not exactly what you want from either vehicle but it does show that the failsafe's work. I would suspect that the problem with the Disco3 was related to loss of wheel rotation input to the ABS, this would cause the problem as described and also clear on a reboot. I would also suggest that dirt ingress coupled with vibration caused the occurence of the fault.
Given the stated aim to "give these foreign 4WDs some grief" over more than 2500km, I'd say both vehicles fared pretty well
It doesn't say (unless I missed it) when the test was carried out, but the fault as mentioned has been the subject of two TSB's relating to diagnostic routines to help the dealers identify and fix faults such as this in recent months.

Post #9299611th Oct 2006 2:32 pm
Jamo

Australia 

I hardly think it's a 'serious blow' tempestv8.

4WDMonthly's demographic is mostly Nissan Pootrol owners over the age of 55. They and the tojo drivers that make up the majority of the other readers are unlikely to come across to LR anyway.

The majority of Disco 3's in Oz are sold to those who will never take them off the bitumen; as is the case for the Jap 4WD's as well.

I get the odd suspension error when traversing farms or going through bush. I just get out, have a look (just in case) then re-boot (or cycle as LR likes to say) and keep going. I don't make a girly song and dance about it like those poo pirates in the mag!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #9300111th Oct 2006 2:42 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

DickyH wrote:
It's not just Australia either. Over here many people in the farming community especially are turning away from the D3 because of the reliability issues. Many of these people were drivers of the series 2 but are now turning to Toyota and, in particular, Mitsubishi.
The D3 seems to sell better here amongst townies who are looking for the image. It's a shame and I agree that Land Rover need to sort it out.

Sounds like you've got all the figures ....can you qualify your statement?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 11th Oct 2006 2:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #9300211th Oct 2006 2:43 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Jamo,
I agree, taken in the perspective of the 'test' I don't think LR have anything to worry about. It's a bit like LRO magazine in UK, they love slagging anything that has electronics Rolling Eyes Censored luddites the lot of 'em! Mad

Post #9300311th Oct 2006 2:49 pm
kpmclaren

Jamaica 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I'm not sure the link is to what LeighW was talking about..because he mentioned it was dropped from the test..it would be good if he could post a link to this....

Post #9300911th Oct 2006 3:09 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

dickgriff wrote:

Sounds like you've got all the figures ....can you qualify your statement?

cmon DG you have to believe its true, I mean, can you imagine all them sheep clambering around the the D3 flicking all the switches and dials with their hoofs .... its just not good enough.... poor farmer wouldnt be able to plough in a straight line Rolling Eyes
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #9301111th Oct 2006 3:13 pm
DickyH

That's right DG, go straight for me. Never mind all the other people who have commented on this thread. Do you just sit there waiting for me to make a comment? You want to get out more pal!
Yes I have figures. I happen to know a lot of farmers, approximately 15% of which either drive or most recently drove disco 2s. Not one of them intends to buy a disco 3 because of the reliability issues that, whether you like it or not, they have heard or read about in various places. The majority of them are turning to Shoguns which, I have to say, would not be my choice but I guess they have their reasons.
Farmers require strength, reliability and off road ability. I guess they do not feel that the d3 can offer them this at the moment.
As I said earlier, it is a shame and Land Rover needs to address this, would you not agree?

Post #9302411th Oct 2006 3:54 pm
Pelyma

England 

Most my farmer friends drive Defenders or pickups usually Hi Lux or L200. Their actual car, rather than work vehicle, is probably evenly spread between Subaru an FFRR. The rich ones drive Subarus and the less well heeled FFRR! It wouldn't be a sector that I would particularly associate as early adopters, hence your friends talk of buying a car that is about to be changed. I would say that the D3 is far more likley to be bought by field sports people, horse owners and caravanners.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #9302911th Oct 2006 4:16 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

DickyH wrote:
That's right DG, go straight for me. Never mind all the other people who have commented on this thread. Do you just sit there waiting for me to make a comment? You want to get out more pal!

Oh Mr. Dicky Thud ....I merely asked you to qualify your generalisations, I didn't 'go for you'....No, I don't sit here waiting for you (so stop flattering yourself ) Wink .........and yes your absolutely right, I really do want to get out more Very Happy

DickyH wrote:
Yes I have figures.

Where?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 12th Oct 2006 12:10 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #9304211th Oct 2006 4:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >