DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
kenso

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Towing

Hi All,
just about to head of to Mission Beach Qld to pickup a Bushtracker Van (just up the road 4500k each way) and it is quite heavy at 2500k, I have been told by my dealer that the adjustable height Hayman Reese shaft fits straight in to the LR hitch is this the case? Also what's the deal with self leveling bars? Hayman Reese says they are not good to use as the D3 constantly has to readjust the suspension as such the systems work against each other. Someone suggested leaving the bars on and locking the suspension, someone else said don't use the bars as the D3 handles the weight adjustment itself......confusing... What are your experiences?

add on..Found some info on this here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic4542.html?highlight=caravans

Cheers
Kenso

Post #9458017th Oct 2006 2:58 am
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Towing

kenso wrote:
add on..Found some info on this here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic4542.html?highlight=caravans

I was looking for this for you, but it appears you know how to use the search tool.

I does definitely say in my user manual not to use a load equalisation hitch.

If you have coil springs, it wouldn't make a difference, that is assuming the receiver can take it.
 Dave

Disco Dreaming 

Post #9458117th Oct 2006 3:39 am
kenso

Towing

Dave, thanks for that yep, if I had coils it wouldnt be a worry, I have an SE After more research... still confused!

Kenso Confused

Post #9458217th Oct 2006 4:15 am
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Kenso

I have a TDV6 HSE naturally with air. I tow a Trakmaster van which is about 2700 kg on the road. I do not use any sort of WDH and it tows OK.

I would be concerned using a WDH as it could negate any warranty problems with the suspension

Regards

Bob

Post #9458717th Oct 2006 8:07 am
SMK

Australia 

Kenso,

I have a HR height adjustable hitch. I had to have a new hole drilled in the tongue (further back) so that the hitch head did not clash with the bumper. I wopuld check the alignment at the shop prior to purchase as the LR hitch receiver sits well back and you will need a longer tongue than normal to prevent the head being too close to the bumper.

Post #9496417th Oct 2006 11:27 pm
irobbie

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

kenso

I've now had an opportunity to road test my rig over an extended distance -approx. 1400kms - and can confirm that the rig ran exceptionally well without a WDH and bars. As noted by Retired Bob, the rig runs really well, very stable in even really strong cross winds, and perfectly level. The Disco is really relaxing to drive when towing our 'van.

Click image to enlarge

As to why Landrover don't support the use of a WDH, there is quite a lot of confusion. Even the well known and respected caravan consultant Tom Olthoff who regularly writes for Caravan World Magazine hasn't been able to (publicly at least) pinpoint the reason behind the problem. However I believe there could be an issue in the design of the Landrover hitch (which is manufactured from cast metal) and the pressure applied to it by the HR Hitch/Bars. And this could be why my LR salesman was absolutely adamant that I should not use my HR WDH and bars. The adjustable height head YES, but the bars NO.

But the HR adjustable head is such a heavy beast that I decided to replace it with an "off the shelf" standard unit of the correct height which I got from a towbar shop. It's so much more compact, lighter and easy to store compared with the HR unit.

I have every confidence in the ability of the Discovery 3 to tow well without a WDH and in fact I'll be off again on holidays next month with the 'van in tow.

HTH.

Ian. Very Happy
 2006 Disco 3 TDV6 SE HiIce White/Alpaca ARB Bullbar  
Post #9498518th Oct 2006 1:08 am
Pelyma

England 

Nice outfit, so different to the UK. How heavy is the caravan and what nose wieght does it run at. I assume the bars you talk about are some sort of stabiliser? In the UK most new vans have friction pads that clamp the tow ball. It is good to see how the ROW do it.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #9501018th Oct 2006 9:12 am
irobbie

Pelyma

Thanks for the kind words. Yes it is quite different from UK vans. However some U.K. and European vans are starting to appear on Australian roads - e.g. Geist. They are much lighter and have much bigger windows than Aussie vans in general. It'll be interesting to see how they stand up to the conditions. For another Aussie van check out RetiredBobs gallery.

My van is full fibreglass with no seams. It's now 5 years old and has done about 35-40K. Last year we completed a 10K trip to north Queensland. When fully packed the van weighs in at about 2600kg with a measured ball weight of 275kg.

The purpose of the weight distribution hitch and bars is primarily to evenly distribute the ball weight between the front and rear wheels of the towing vehicle and the caravan. This is to help the overall balance of the rig as well as steering and braking stability. It also helps to level the rig, a function not necessary with the Disco 3 when fitted with air springs.

For further discussion and photo of the system go to the link in Kensos post above and scroll down.

Ian Very Happy
Post #9534918th Oct 2006 10:53 pm
irobbie

kenso

Just came across a letter in the November 2006 issue of Caravan World (page 73) from a bloke in Queensland.

He had this to say"You cannot use a WD hitch on the Disco 3: if you do you WILL break the hitch receiver and your caravan will fall off like mine did!" He owns a Roadstar Trackvan weighing 2850kg with ball weight of 290kg.

Thought you might like to know.

Ian. Shocked
Post #9537018th Oct 2006 11:32 pm
RetiredBob

Irobbie

I also saw the letter in the mag but I would like to know -

Where did the break actually occur?/What part of the receiver hitch broke?
Type of WDH
Tension on the WDH?
Type of country/road?
Type of car suspension air or coil?
What does he mean by vague?

I have done over 28,000k towing on all sorts of country without a WDH.

To make the van/Disco completely level, I moved the hyland hitch plate from the top of the A frame to the bottom. This gave me the necessary 2cm to make it perfectly level.

I have nothing against WDHs. I used a WDH with my Disco II TD5 (no air) but had to replace the existing towbar with a Hayman Reese. Used to tow like a dream also.

Regards

Post #9541719th Oct 2006 12:41 am
irobbie

RetiredBob

Some good questions which I don't have firm answers for. However did hear a rumour at the Tow Bar shop that the LR hitch receiver was susceptible to cracking through the neck where it enters the LR towbar when used in conjunction with a HR WD setup. But I have to say this was just heresay at the time.

Like you I have had a good experience with the Disco 3 without a WD setup so I'm really quite relaxed about towing performance.

Also like you I have used a HR WD setup in the past with my ex Nissan Patrol, and currently with my 1967 Chevy Impala. In fact I'd go so far as to say that I wouldn't even think about towing our 'van with the Impala unless it had the WDH in place!

But back to the Discovery. I'm using a custom tounge from the Tow Bar shop which is well within LR specs, the rig is quite level and the A frame of the 'van sits very close into the rear of the Discovery. But the Hayman Reece tounge and adjustable head places the tow ball well outside LR specs with the result that the A Frame is just about an additional 3 inches further back. I wonder if this is enough to upset the balance and stability of the rig and cause the sort of problems that the QLD bloke had with his 'van using the HR tounge without bars? Just a thought.

Ian Very Happy
Post #9543619th Oct 2006 9:09 am
RetiredBob

IRobbie

Thanks. Forgot to mention that I am using the LR Tounge that the dealer "threw in" when I purchased the vehicle. Would expect the freebie after what I paid for the vehicle

Cheers

Post #9563319th Oct 2006 10:29 pm
anthill

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi, I have towed a 2 tonne van for around 17000km both on dirt and bitumen roads without using a WD hitch and have not had a problem. I got rid on the HR hitch and had one made to the correct height that falls within the LR specs. They are a great tow vehicle.
 TDV6 SE (Ausie Spec) COOOL Chawton White.  
Post #9735729th Oct 2006 4:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kenso

Forget the bars!

Well, just got back after 9567k in 10 days.

The van I picked up is a Bushtracker. A tank of an off-road caravan (2500k), Bushtracker recommends that a WDH is used and with LR saying not to and both vehicles costing around the same it was a tough call! Anyway did the trip with the height adj hitch and no sway bars ever had a problem! Even taking the "short cut" to Halls Creek (locally known as Hell's Crack, and rightly so!) across the Buchannan "highway" then onto the Buntine "Highway" which both would be more accurately described as goatways! Dirt, narrow, massive corrugations, cattle road trains, for 700km! Cruising at 80k the van never moved infact I had to keep checking the rear view as it seemed it couldn’t be still there! Forget the TDV8 this TDV6 is amazing!

Kenso

Wink

Post #9753930th Oct 2006 8:02 am
lrdef110

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Must have just missed you Kenso. Just back from two weeks in NQ with 4 nights at Misson Beach myself. Towed my van with the Disco for the first time. Its much smaller and lighter than yours (Jurgens Xpedition) but I was really impressed with the way it towed. I averaged 12.6 l/100km at about 100 km per hour without cruise control but it blew out to 13.4l/100km with cruise. The car would rarely go into 6th with cruise on but would happily sit on 100kmph in 6th without cruise and hence the difference in fuel consumption I suppose. Anyway we need to see some photos of the new combination Kenso.
Regards,
Barry.

Post #9755030th Oct 2006 10:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >