United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Sopjas
Thank you, I shall mention it to the dealer
Kind Regards

Post #8779712nd Jan 2012 9:23 pm
Biancamick

Hi All

Latest is that it is the instrument cluster and the wiring at the back that connects to.
apparently they are now able to repeat the problem at will by wiggling the wiring behind the dashboard.
Hoping that they will get it back to me on tuesday- hooray

Post #8803447th Jan 2012 9:21 pm
sopjas

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Glad you got that sorted Wink , Is it been paid for under warranty? Expensive repair so far if not! Big Cry
 'Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive'

Buckingham blue, Webast timer/remote, AT2s, Black & Silver ovals ,
Privacy Glass , Drilled and Groved Discs , Xenons, Rear LED's , Light Guards,Hawkeye diagnostic unit.
TL1000R--XR600R-- 

Post #8805158th Jan 2012 11:32 am
groarkaj

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Hi chaps and ladies if you are out there

I am still having the problem its at the dealer who has changed the radio, heater module and now as the earlier mail suggests the problem seems to be from the instrument pack when he reproduces the fault snd taps the top the fault goes away. Problem is he cannot swap for another vehicle as this upsets the mileage etc so looks like I will have to fromt up the cash for a replacement. If that fixex it will let you know.

Cheers

Andy

Post #88257012th Jan 2012 6:01 pm
pocketjacks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Indus SilverDiscovery 3
vehicle fault system shutting down

Hi there
Just wondering if you had any joy with getting this issue resolved? I have the exact same issue now for 4 weeks. I had it with a non-LR mechanic 3 weeks ago and his opinion was the clocks in the dash were the problem. He noticed that when the issue was occurring, give the dash a ‘thump’ just above the steering wheel. Problem goes away! Not a very technical solution.

So it’s now with the Landrover dealer and the word coming from Landrover is “never seen or heard of this issue before”. The dealership mechanics are stumped! What a 'mare … Doesn’t say much for LR.

So it’s guess work from here on. They’re now going to strip the instrument cluster and the wiring.
Keep you posted …
Danny

Post #8939136th Feb 2012 11:34 pm
groarkaj

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Your in luck As I said in my earlier email dealer managed to isolate it to the instrument pack with the mechanic repoducing the fault at will. We decided to bite the bullet and change the instrument pack. This was three weeks ago and the fault has not reappeared.

Hope that helps cost was £900.00p but much of that was time spent diagnosing the problem.

Cheers

Post #8939857th Feb 2012 9:31 am
pocketjacks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Indus SilverDiscovery 3
vehicle fault system shutting down

Just to update you on the issue - following on from stripping back the wiring, cleaning the connections and tightening back up I haven’t had the issue for the last 200km.

Fingers crossed it was a loose connection all along … Thumbs Up

Cheers

Post #89668413th Feb 2012 4:18 pm
Biancamick

Hi Gents
I also had LR say they had never heard of this before!
I have now done another 100-1200 miles and all seems well, touch wood.
I believe from the dealer that the mileage is stored in the central computer and not on the instrument panel so it should not be a problem to just replace the instrument panel.
Mine has cost me a bomb but it is great to drive now that it is fixed.
Thankfully
Thanks for the input
Kind Regards

Post #90340129th Feb 2012 9:19 pm
madcow

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Big Cry HI just wondering if you solved your problems because i have the same problems and could do with some help . thanks

Post #14232889th Feb 2015 8:48 pm
parrafin23

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

So it all comes down to smashin on the dashboard so the Instrument Cluster (Ipac) behaves?

Sems to me that there might be some internal issues with the solderin or wiring. It would have been good if someone with a faulty ipac could dissasemble it and inspect the soldering inside it to perhaps reveal where the issue origins from. The car goes in to limp home / Die mode, then we have established that it has something to do with the main communication part of it. So i bet there is an issue on the Hcan wires on the connector or inside the Ipac..

Mr.P

Post #142829917th Feb 2015 7:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Preppy2013

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Vehicle Fault - System Shutting Down

I would like to send out a massive "Thank You" to everyone who has posted to date on this topic 71939. It has helped enormously with a problem I have had recently with my '56 plate Disco3.

On 16 March 2015, having left home and driven about 5 miles and whilst queuing in traffic the central locking started making a clicking sound (but the doors did not lock). Quickly afterwards a message came up on the stereo face saying "Vehicle Fault -System Shutting Down" then the radio went off, the satnav screen went off, warning lights came up on the instrument panel and the car shut down! Engine turned off, even the hazard lights would not work. Everything dead. After stopping an AA van that was queuing two or three cars behind us, lifting the bonnet and trying the ignition, the car started again as normal (no more than about 2-3 mins after it had totally shut down. The AA guy advised to just "see how it goes".

The next morning the same thing happened after about 6 miles, again in stationery queuing traffic and in exactly the same order; clicking of central locking, system shutting down message, radio went off, sat nav went off, engine & everything else shut down. Again after about 2-3 mins (contributing to morning school run mayhem) the car re-started as normal.

I decided to take it straight to the local dealership (Listers Landrover, Droitwich) but en-route and whilst doing 40mph, the same thing happened for a third time; the only pre-warning being the central locking clicking sound giving about 20 seconds before the whole car shut down!

Droitwich Landrover had the car for 3 days but could find no fault as the on-board computer had not registered any faults and I was told they had "never seen anything like it happening before". I drove the car home without incident but the next day, the fault returned without even having driven the car off the drive.

I then went looking for help online, found Disco3.co.uk and asked the dealership to quote for replacing the instrument cluster. They provided a quote but when I asked them to proceed, they said that they were reluctant to do so as it "might just be a waste of money and may not cure the problem. Better to bring the car in so that the technicians could see the fault occurring and plug the diagnostic machine into the car whilst the fault was happening". I managed to take photos of the dash messages and emailed them with a full typed history of the problem along with details of this thread to the dealership before taking the car back.

After a frank discussion with the customer advisor, I was called later the same day saying that they had managed to fault the car & found a fault with the centre cam module and they would recommend changing the instrument cluster as I had originally asked them to do! The work was done the next day and I picked up the car on 10 April. Only 2 short journeys since then but so far so good.

Thank you again to everyone for posting on this topic which certainly helped me in my dealings with a dealership who I suspect would have access to Jaguer Landrover Group forums that would have many details about this fault even if the local dealership had not experienced it themselves. What a shame that with such a premium brand, the customer is left to do all the homework.

Post #145721812th Apr 2015 3:18 pm
airstreamer

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

We have been having similar though not so severe problems since last sept.
Firstly the radio shuts down 'vehicle fault system shutting down' followed by sat nav going off but thankfully car does not cut out . Radio comes back on a few seconds later. In Feb we drove to France to find on arrival that car would not lock with remote's. Have since resoldered the connection in wiring loom and remotes work now although still sound a bit dud ( not so clear a clunk as before) but have still got the problems with the radio issue. We have also historically had some issues on very cold mornings where no dash lights will come on at all until car has warmed up.

Is is easy to get to the wiring from the instrument panel ?? any suggestions would be very welcome.

Confused

Post #145834614th Apr 2015 8:07 pm
Simon_B

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

I had a similar intermittent problem. Central locking would operate and hazard lights would come on (but not flashing on the dashboard). Had car into Landrover but they found nothing. Problem became more frequent and found posts on this site mentioning possible faulty brake light switch. Decided to give this a try and changed the switch (£25). Amazing, this has solved the issue!

Post #14829713rd Jun 2015 11:16 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

You have a CANBUS issue, and probably a faulty/unprogrammed key
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #151453311th Aug 2015 6:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Overlay wiring in known places, or isolate each module in turn.

They can be a bit of a nightmare to track down, as the network covers the whole car (almost)
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #151519113th Aug 2015 1:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >