Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Cold Weather Batteries
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
disco XS

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

My, coming 2 years old (Feb 12) XS is at the dealers, recovered yesterday, the day before this i was on a journey of around 25 miles each way and it started showing reduced performance messages and lowered the ride height, left it running outside my work for a couple of hours with everything switched off, drove it home a couple of miles and locked it up, went out yesterday morning to start it and the batterey was completely flat Shocked. I had to use the key to get in, no power whatsoever, when i was attempting to jump start it on the wifes golf, i noticed her batterey was covered by a waterproof insulated cover Mad

My father has an HSE, couple of months newer and lives half a mile from me and has never had this problem????

Post #87420822nd Dec 2011 10:02 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

Rolling Eyes
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #87421422nd Dec 2011 10:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

you can make a thermal protector with bubble sheet, the same of the envelopes and the same that if you turns it over and over starts popping.

Post #88859525th Jan 2012 9:53 pm
kljw

Scotland 

hi
have got my dad looking into making something that would fit and do the job. if any good, i will post pictures, if not, then i woll never mention it agin.
 Cheers
Keith 

Post #88884726th Jan 2012 3:49 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

But surely it is something within the car pulling the battery down ? Making a thermal cover is not going to stop that. As TLO said there are no market specific batteries for the D3 / D4 so the same battery is used in parts of the world where the tempreture gets a lot colder than here in the UK. It appears to be a D4 specific problem that the dealer should be able to resolve.

Post #88919527th Jan 2012 12:54 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Though problem is there most of the time would seem that cold weather makes it far worse.

I think the moinitering system is set to high and therefore cuts off to soon, in colder weather the voltage output of the battery will drop down so providing insulation might provide a benefit.

But your right it should be fixed by the dealers, but at presnt looks like Landrover cannot supply the answers
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #88922027th Jan 2012 2:17 pm
Ecosse

Had no problems in 2 years with 2010 D4 which is never garaged & last year had to endure below -10C. Two random thoughts - I don't deadlock the car (which I think means the interior sensors aren't on) and on cold days I use the remote pre-heater system (which is why I don't double lock it as the warm air blowers trigger the alarm sensors!). Could it be that either the alarm sensors draw current, or indeed that the engine needs some pre-heating to help? BTW I then just do short runs so my car does not have the opportunity to recharge over long distances & I have heated seats, heated wheel, climate & heated screens on during that time. Other guess would be the old favourite... SOFTWARE (I recall mention that the battery warnings are software driven, so may need a patch)

Post #88957528th Jan 2012 10:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >