DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Interesting Infotainment Video
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Interesting Infotainment Video

As i now have such a complete collection of almost all the infotainment ECU's that Land Rover have fitted as part of their Infotainment systems on the MOST Fibre optic bus used in the D3/D4 Range Rover sport, Full Range Rover and Freelander 2, i thought i would get them all out and do a bit of an overview video of them which i have uploaded to You Tube a few days ago.

The Video shows not only the unique variants for some vehicle models, but also the degree of interchangability that might come as a surprise to many. There is also a demo of a neat trick we figured how to do with a paired Bluetooth device Thumbs Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96LXYiCW8Ks

Post #9163571st Apr 2012 12:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
johno1973

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

hi

i correct in thinking then i could fit one of the 2010 screens in a my2006 d3 s model and would have nav ect without all the messing around with the looms ect or am i thinking over simplisticly ? good work all the same Thumbs Up

Post #9163591st Apr 2012 12:11 pm
Stuarts the man

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Superb video, it's amazing what can be done
So who's going to be the first to try and mount D4 screen in D3

Post #9163601st Apr 2012 12:13 pm
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

April....... Whistle

Post #9163621st Apr 2012 12:20 pm
johno1973

could well be but seems it would take some fakeing i think Shocked

Post #9163631st Apr 2012 12:25 pm
yogi972

true i was in two minds to put the comment as it would be an elabrate hoax.

still if your' 'up' on the in n outs of these sytems anything is possible... Thumbs Up

Post #9163651st Apr 2012 12:28 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Actually chaps, I only just had the 2010 screens delivered and evenings and weekends, including those that might happen to have April 1st in them, are when i get the time to post up.

And while i do have a sense of humor somewhere, most apparent after a few beers, it is fair to say that i am far more renowned for my passion for this kind of technology and being the first to do things with the electronics of these vehicles, as it is after all what i do for a living.

AFAIK there is no April fools day here in Cyprus and I was actually quite surprised when some weeks later someone mentioned that i had posted up about Enabling 4x4 info on that day.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic33114.html

Although no one said as much then, i guess many may have thought that to have been some elaborate hoax or fake.
Yet as everyone now knows, it was not, and soon after "enabling 4x4" became very common modification.

You should also note, that as with the 4x4 info enabling Demo video, and in fact any Video i have ever produced, i really don't have the time to do any cutting and editing work and it is all done in one take. It would be hard enough to fake what i have shown is possible in the video with a bit of cutting and editing, but in one take Crying or Very sad

The reason that the 2010 screen works with a D3 IHU is quite simply because the ECU's on a MOST Bus have their own node identities and as with the FFRR screen, all screens including the 2010 one have the same identity on the Bus.
In essence Denso will have re used all the existing code and command set when developing the 2010 HDD unit and most of the changes to that would have been in the Graphic display aspect only.

@ johno1973
You will need to have a High Line Head unit with it's IHU.
I have not tested full functionality in a Vehicle and there may yet be some reason the HDD unit will not be a direct replacement for the Disco3 screen and it's accompanying DVD/ SAT NAV computer.

The Screen / Nav Unit in the Video shows as being just outside Birmingham, as it's last known position, which is correct as that is where i purchased it from and Wiggs kindly arranged it's pick up from a couple of weeks back. It will not change until i plug a GPS antennae on it.

Sadly, although the connector(s) for the screen / Sat Nav unit are different, this can likely be overcome by getting the connectors off a D4 Facia loom. These can get up to 200 GBP, but i recently bought one for a D3 with an odd spec for just 33 GBP, so there is hope.

There will of course also be some mounting and trim aspects but i note that many are quite creative with after market stuff, so i am sure this will be sorted Thumbs Up

Last edited by BBS SPY on 1st Apr 2012 2:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #9163761st Apr 2012 2:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
yogi972

all I can say then is

BRILLIANT!
hope i didn't offend Bow down

will be keeping a close eye on this

Post #9163771st Apr 2012 2:31 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

No worries RCDtripper

You should know that you are dealing with someone who has actually eaten ent's cooking Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Although to be fair, i think it was me that suggested straining the rice with a fishing net Whistle

Post #9163921st Apr 2012 4:38 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Nice video well done to all involved Smile but i like even more the Android phone app, this time pending of course could have a lot of nice features added in the future now you have created what looks to be a fantastic looking and easy to use app. I need for my iphone when you get a spare min pls ta Razz I could even test it on my Galaxy tab if you need lol.

Pete

Post #9164091st Apr 2012 5:35 pm
geoff.

England 

BBS SPY wrote:
No worries RCDtripper

You should know that you are dealing with someone who has actually eaten ent's cooking Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Whistle

and drunken my coffee Rolling with laughter

Post #9164181st Apr 2012 5:55 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

So do all >2010 D4s come with the sat nave screen? Even if it was supplied without the Nav? If so could the nav be enabled?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9165772nd Apr 2012 2:32 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

I have no idea what the differing specs the D4 is supplied in CaverD3.
I have only ever seen a couple of them when i visited Billing in the UK a couple of years back.

Quote:
and drunken my coffee
I waited so long for you sleepy heads, i would have drank anything Whistle

Quote:
the Android phone app

For some reason no one else seems to have noticed that bit Pete Whistle

I have been quite taken with the later Android OS and in particular my Galaxy Note. It was only natural for us to have a go at developing an App for it, especially using the wireless Bluetooth Data link, and as you see, it's really easy to use and very fast. The first thing you see on the video is actually after it has reprogrammed the CCF and then resets the Ipack. The Head unit does not come back on itself due only to the way it is wired with power.

Sadly after all the work we have done with Genesis, i don't think we will be producing this as a released product.

Post #9167572nd Apr 2012 5:44 pm
santiD3

Spain 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

No words Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down great info....

Post #9167662nd Apr 2012 6:16 pm
johno1973

noooooooooooooo you are wrong there i spotted the app but am still drooling at the d4 nav screen in a d3 to get my head around that one at the same time Bow down will you be doning more work on that by the way ?

Post #9167762nd Apr 2012 6:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >