Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Clunky gear change down 3rd-2nd and 2nd - 1st on Auto
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nigel Tracey

Switzerland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Clunky gear change down 3rd-2nd and 2nd - 1st on Auto

Anyone had any problems with clunky/jerky gear change downs ? On my 2 x D3's all gear up and down were super smooth and on the new D4 they are great going up but on the way down 3rd to 2nd and much worse on 2nd to 1st it's aggressive and really clunky. On deceleration say to a junction it just snatches as you approach the turn which is really annoying. I mentioned it at the last service and they said that they would re-program the gear box and update the software, it didn't make any difference.

Anyone got any ideas ?
 Mrs Jones ? We've come for your Liver  
Post #94481320th Jun 2012 7:46 pm
bozmandb9

United Kingdom 
Re: Clunky gear change down 3rd-2nd and 2nd - 1st on Auto

Nigel Tracey wrote:
Anyone had any problems with clunky/jerky gear change downs ? On my 2 x D3's all gear up and down were super smooth and on the new D4 they are great going up but on the way down 3rd to 2nd and much worse on 2nd to 1st it's aggressive and really clunky. On deceleration say to a junction it just snatches as you approach the turn which is really annoying. I mentioned it at the last service and they said that they would re-program the gear box and update the software, it didn't make any difference.

Anyone got any ideas ?

I had this on my Supercharged FFRR, had to have the gearbox rebuilt, but I doubt that would be the case for your D4, unless you've done a hell of a lot of miles very quickly! My gearbox failed at 85k miles.

Post #94487720th Jun 2012 10:54 pm
Nigel Tracey

Switzerland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Clunky gear change down 3rd-2nd and 2nd - 1st on Auto

bozmandb9 wrote:
Nigel Tracey wrote:

Anyone got any ideas ?

I had this on my Supercharged FFRR, had to have the gearbox rebuilt, but I doubt that would be the case for your D4, unless you've done a hell of a lot of miles very quickly! My gearbox failed at 85k miles.

It's only done 15k and it was like this from day one, it does feel very mechanical although it's an annoyance rather than a major problem
 Mrs Jones ? We've come for your Liver  
Post #94493721st Jun 2012 8:25 am
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Anyone else experience this? Recently done a lot of start stop traffic around paris and the gearbox was a nightmare snatching and jerking in the lower gears, especially when lifting off and it was changing down. Gearbox was flushed around 50k and new oil & filter at just over 100k. Now on 120k ish.

Post #22992279th Jul 2022 9:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >