Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

i'm worried about my car choice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nimrod

United Kingdom 

Guys, I'm a little concerned about all the technical issues i'm seeing here on the forum and just after having my D3 for 6 weeks, its now been back in the dealer for 3 days now after a EPB problem... Sad

Will someone out there please tell me that the choice has been right and that i've moved out of a perfectly reliable Skoda VRS into something thats even better... or am LR havin a Rolling with laughter

Post #94602823rd Jun 2012 2:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome.

Please tell us more about the car...

Age, mileage, service history, warrantee etc..

Then we might be able to help.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #94603023rd Jun 2012 2:53 pm
Nimrod

United Kingdom 

Yeah, its a 57 plate GS. 27k on the clock.. full dealer service history bought from lloyds LR carlisle originally and traded in for a new D4.. has 10 months warranty included with the sale..

i'll probably take out extended warranty in the near future

Post #94603223rd Jun 2012 3:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Just have a good warranty for her, then if the worst happens you are in a much better position than going it alone. Thumbs Up

Post #94603823rd Jun 2012 3:36 pm
Comanche

Wales 

Nimrod, EPB is renowned for issues, had my first 'screamer' this week. As others have said in the past, people tend to post on the forum when theyve got a problem and looking for help and advice.
Its rare for someone to post that theres nothing wrong (thats human nature rather than the fact that you get fault free days!!!)
 I started off with nothing and Ive still got most of it left.  
Post #94603923rd Jun 2012 3:38 pm
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Just posting to say mine's all ok at the moment... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

b-gger Ive done it now haven't I Shocked

better get my credit card at the ready then..... Embarassed

Post #94604023rd Jun 2012 3:43 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Yer doomed I say, yer doomed!! Laughing Laughing

Last edited by DSL on 23rd Jun 2012 3:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #94604123rd Jun 2012 3:45 pm
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Big Cry Big Cry Laughing Laughing

Post #94604223rd Jun 2012 3:45 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Quote:

I assumed you'd bought something other than a Disco when I saw the title - thankfully you are just worried about minor glitches on a fantastic vehicle - with out these this forum wouldn't exist and you wouldn't have the chance to get to know loads of great folks Thumbs Up Welcome to Permagrin Land Thumbs Up

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #94604923rd Jun 2012 4:13 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nimrod, I bought my 06 D3 in march last year at 60.000 miles, so no warranty etc.

I bought because I had always had a Landrover product in the family somewhere, from Series to Defenders Rangerover Claasics and Disco 1's, in total about 17 through the years. But I had always had a sensible German estate car of some discription for work and family use.

As the family needs grew I decided to plumb for the D3, one that was in good order, second hand and that met the spec I required, now 22,000 miles later I still love it and do not regret, I have has to replace parts as I would expect on any car of its age and milage alterbnator battery ARB bushes etc, and added a few mods too Whistle

I like you 12 months or so ago got the jitters, reading so many issues on the forum made me second guess my choice, but as has already been said, only the bad points get posted. Thumbs Up

We did once start a my Disco is acting as normal today type post, I think it was last september, at that point I reported a 1200 mile trip through france, loaded with all theat is precious to me and all without event and in great confort.

You will if you read this forum always see a problem for somone or other, but in the scheme of the numbers of these on the road, the issues are not that common. If you follow any other forum you will see the same picture painted of all cars, Germans included.

Take a read of Discoduncs recent story and tell me that you would rather have any other car, when it comes to safety and protecting those around you, the fuel bill and the odd quirk makes it all worth while.

Drive it with confidence, the more you use it the more faith you will have and the less the gremlins like sticky EPB's occur, as other have said on here before enjoy it don't justify it Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #94605023rd Jun 2012 4:17 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

i know how you feel but after going to a local fete and taking it off road (ok in grassy field which wasnt even wet and didnt warrant much) it reminds you why I bought it.

But i spend a lot of time on here and most posts tend to be doom and gloom but i think and hope in general this is a biaised view of all the disco 3's on the road. all cars go wrong but with LR they tend to have more variables and cost more. I just took out warranty with WD and feel a lot happier. I cant afford to replace a turbo unit for example so hope to have some cover for anything major.

am thinking of getting the egr's blanked to minimise this potential issue so will look into that at its next service. as mentioned great cars, safe for the family and hope it lives up to my expectations when we take it to france in the summer for a few weeks.

talking of france if anyone knows how i can change the lights for driving in france i would be much grateful ! i believe there is some sort of switch but havent got the manual out on it yet.

Post #94605823rd Jun 2012 4:50 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you have xenons, there is a shield you can rotate over to block the beam pattern Thumbs Up [/i]
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #94607423rd Jun 2012 5:17 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks (sorry if i am taking over someone elses thread on this) definately xenons so will take a look for the shield.

Post #94607523rd Jun 2012 5:20 pm
Nimrod

United Kingdom 

We've had a land or two in the family for a few yrs, so i know what they are like.. don't get me wrong while the car is on the road i'm in love with it and my other toy is left under cover..

Thanks for the advise, like the other car forum i use i've only seen a small amount of issues on that car and its given me the heads up if something goes wrong..

So, heres to some happy driving, i hope its a good motor...

Thanks Chaps

Joe Bow down Bow down

Post #94622024th Jun 2012 2:15 am
Nimrod

United Kingdom 

ok, update on the Landy... Lloyds are replacing the clutch and flywheel and should be ready in the next day or two.. at least its been repaired FOC which i'm pleased about...

Post #94665925th Jun 2012 11:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >