Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Judders have returned, how much to change torque converter?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Judders have returned, how much to change torque converter?

After experiencing judders in Feb 2011 at 72k miles, I had a double flush done under the cars original warranty. Now, car is on 92k and as I was towing the caravan yesterday the judders came back. It judders quite badly on the up change from 4th to 5th, and 5th to 6th. The more power you are applying, the worse it is. If I feather the throttle on the up change, it does not judder at all.

This has come on very suddenly, just like they did the first time it happened. Driving to work this morning without the caravan, there were no judders, but it did not get warmed up properly.

I have a Warranty Direct main dealer warranty, has anyone got any experience of getting this sorted out with a new TC under the WD warranty? Because ultimately, changing the oil is just masking the problem, which seems to be a worn or burnt lockup clutch in the TC.

Post #9633167th Aug 2012 10:42 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Gareth

Just wondering how you narrowed the problem down to the TC?

I have been through the same process of megaflush to solve the judder problem at 98k miles (initial judder started much earlier) but judder back again at 100k. Geoff has ruled out computer glitches and now I am going for a test of the ATF to see if the original rad has leaked water/glycol into the ATF. If that is the case, then transmission rebuild may be needed, but I am contemplating new rad (or separate ATF oil cooler) and then another ATF change. Reason for the latter is that the components cannot be that bad as the new ATF seems to solve issue initially - presumably until the ATF becomes contaminated again (if that is indeed what is happening). Of course, if latter does not solve problem, I will have wasted part of the dosh and will still need transmission rebuild at over 2 grand Shocked
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #9633687th Aug 2012 12:57 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well, the answer is I don't know for sure. I am fairly mechanically minded, and I do feel the judder is caused by friction clutch slipping. It can only be either the TC or the brake bands in the gearbox. I don't know of any way of determining the fault further, therefore I am presuming the TC is the cheaper option to start with.

As for glycol contamination, I have never had it tested, however my car has never used a drop of water.

My current judders came back very suddenly. The two factors that may have triggered it are 1. towing a caravan (although I have done a fair bit of that recently) or 2. I filled up with Shell V-Power immediately before the journey, from an almost empty tank.

I do not normally use premium fuel, and generally stick to the cheaper brands. Due to the fact that I was nearly out of fuel, and the station did not have 'cooking' derv, I filled with the V stuff. The car is noticeably different to drive, changing gear much earlier in the rev range than normal. This I presume is because the engine is putting out a few more bhp. This may be enough to make the lockup clutch fail to lock smoothly on gearshifts.

Post #9633967th Aug 2012 2:33 pm
KOOS BEST

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

STOP STOP STOP!!!!!!!!

I have experienced exactly the same symptons, was told by ZF and the Dealers , I require a new TC.

Well I have discovered the most amazing product.
DR TRANNY INSTANT SHUDDER FIX.

I did a complete oil change with FUCHS ATF 4400 added 2 x bottles DR LUBE friction modifier and the shudder was still present.
Then today I added 2 x tubes of Instant Shudder Fix.

RESULT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

THE SHUDDER IS GONE , THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, ZERO, SMOOTH AS SHE WAS BRAND NEW.

AMAZING STUFF , I AM GOING TO ORDER 2 X SPARE TUBES RIGHT NOW.

Post #9640999th Aug 2012 2:11 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Is this stuff snake oil, or is it for real then??

Post #9641119th Aug 2012 3:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

CFB wrote:
Is this stuff snake oil, or is it for real then??

Well two pints of Snakebite stops me shuddering when I see a Tranny.

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #9641239th Aug 2012 4:45 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #9641249th Aug 2012 4:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Waiting to get the glycol results on my ATF. Now this gives me yet another option, depending upon results. Thanks for heads up. I looked at other forum comments and the stuff seems to work, but I just wonder which cause of judder it cures and if some, like glycol contamination can't be fixed with 2 oz of snake oil. Only one way to find out. Rolling Eyes
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #9641529th Aug 2012 6:11 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Interesting product! Let us know if the benefit lasts. Thumbs Up

Post #9641939th Aug 2012 7:46 pm
KOOS BEST

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I don't know what this product does, but my shudder is GONE!!!

All I know is it contains synthetics and synthetic esters for eliminating the shudder .

Some say , it actually takes the glaze of the clutches , which is the cause of the shudder.

All I can say it definitely did exactly what the product say it will do , it eliminated my shudder and Dr Lube also recommended a bottle of Friction modifier which I added a while ago..

Anybody with shudder problems after a Tranny flush I highly recommend to add this product.

According to the South African agent an independent L/Rover agent which they supply swears by this stuff, and he buys 20 tubes at a time.

Post #96434210th Aug 2012 9:33 am
driverkelly

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
My 05 shudder

Hey fellers, you may be answering my question before I post it. I have developed a shudder in my 05 Disco and no one has been able to give me a definitive answer to the problem.
My shudder developed while towing my van and comes and goes with different intensity. I have tried things like lowering tyre pressure which worked a little made it less noticeable but not good for the tyres. It is very noticeable when accelerating a bit harder than normal and especially around some bends in the road.
Is this similar to what you guys have experienced or do I need to keep searching.
Regards Allen Kelly.
Big Cry

Post #96466311th Aug 2012 7:29 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

That's about it. Having said that, since I reported the return of the judders, I have done lots more of towing the caravan, and general driving and its not juddered once!

Post #96469711th Aug 2012 9:21 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

gareth, seems we might both be in the same boat Big Cry

after 178k miles, looking likely that the judder is appearing, only when towing...... Whistle

have emailed the maunfacturer to see if they have a distributor/retailer in the UK Thumbs Up

Post #96489311th Aug 2012 11:28 pm
character

FOUND A RETAILER FOR LUBEGARD HERE IN THE UK

http://www.sussexautos.co.uk/lubegard.php

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Very Happy

Post #96489912th Aug 2012 12:06 am
character

AND THEY STOCK THE ZF FLUID& PAN FILTERS

http://www.sussexautos.co.uk/zf-car-parts.php

oh happy days, no longer having to spend on OEM parts Thumbs Up

BTW, just cross referenced ZF's own website, would appear its the same ATF as LR use (see LR parts number listed) which is exactly what our LR dealer wants to charge £28.06 per litre Evil or Very Mad Thumbs Up

http://webcat-services.zf.com/index.asp?LK...,1632,1614

Post #96490012th Aug 2012 12:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >